Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: South Carolina
THOR #14675
Sofa recliner stuck

My 2014 Thor Challenger 37GT has an 8ft sofa where two-thirds flips out into a bed frame with air mattress. The one-third is SUPPOSED to recline like a lazy boy. The foot rest is designed to hinge up and go horizontal. But it is absolutely stuck in the stowed “couch” position. Is there some kind of hidden lever or trick to pulling up the foot rest? I have pulled and tugged and pried and can visually peak into the underside to see all the hinge apparatus but I simply cannot get it to free itself. I REALLY want this thing to work. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well no one seems to be helping you here so how about if I start the ball rolling and ask some questions that come to mind regarding your couch issue:
1. Is the foot rest on one or both sides not coming up? If only one side has a problem how does the working side operate?
2. I “assume” this is an original couch (not a new one), so how did the foot rest(s) come up before this problem? Maybe the "coach or couch" is new to you?
3. La-z-boy style couches I am familiar with, typically use a lever (not enough room in many RV’s for side levers usually); or they use a button on or in the arm rest to release the foot rest/recline mechanism.

My experience with La-z-boy chairs and couches (non-RV) in the past, was that the wood screws holding the mechanical systems in place on the frame would back out over time from general use and then the metal lift or recline mechanisms would jam. After many couch turn overs to re-tighten constantly loosening fasteners, it long ago became resident at the local recycle dump.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

THOR #14675
Original couch

Thanks Javelin for the response. The couch is original and has not worked since I bought it used last year. I am hoping another Challenger 37GT owner will chime in with some info. I am not sure but I believe the 37GT is the only model that came with the eight foot couch/recliner. The loose screw theory interfering with the hinges makes since. I’ll look.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #4

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
We have the same sofa in our Serrano. I will check this afternoon to determine if anything is obvious that might help. Since the release latch is recessed into the arm support, it might be difficult to find an easily visible release mechanism. Will let you know what i find.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

THOR #14675
Ford1 I looked and felt all over the arm support and there is absolutely no type of release mechanism there. Facing the couch is the 1/3 recliner on the left? I believe it is supposed to just kick back with a little push while sitting, like many recliners. Mine is just not cooperating.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Yes, it is the 1/3 section on the left when facing the sofa. Mine has a release latch on the arm rest. If the rain slows down a little, i will go out and take a photo. The latch only releases the foot rest. Unlike a lazy-boy, the back does not move at all. While sitting on the sofa, try pushing your feet in a direction toward the back of the sofa. There may be an unlatch/latch mechanism that is operated by your leg motion.