Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Anderson Kantleak - city water and the FW tank

We’re on our first night headed to Florida. I de winterized it before we left. When we arrived at our site tonight, I connected to the park’s water. I turned the Anderson Kantleak to “city fixtures.” All appeared well - water ran when faucet turned on. However, next time I went outside the Fw tank was overflowing.

When I turned it to “normal” no water to the faucets.

I haven’t tried “city fill tank” because I was told that’s how you fill the Fw tank via the city inlet.

The only thing left is to switch it to “winterize / sanitize” and see what that does.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB7E9957-646D-46C1-A588-42A54BE15145.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	21844  

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #2

THOR #17154
Well - putting it on winterize didn’t stop the FW tank from overflowing.

We just turned off the water and will live on FW tank and pump.

Any help very appreciated!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
We’re on our first night headed to Florida. I de winterized it before we left. When we arrived at our site tonight, I connected to the park’s water. I turned the Anderson Kantleak to “city fixtures.” All appeared well - water ran when faucet turned on. However, next time I went outside the Fw tank was overflowing.

When I turned it to “normal” no water to the faucets.

I haven’t tried “city fill tank” because I was told that’s how you fill the Fw tank via the city inlet.

The only thing left is to switch it to “winterize / sanitize” and see what that does.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
Let me see if I can remember this from a few months ago. I had the Anderson system on the Challenger and now the Accolade has the Nautilus P3 system.

City fill tank will do just that. It will fill the fresh water tank.
Normal is for use with the water pump. When the valve is in the normal position you must have the water pump turned on to get water at the faucets.
City fixtures supplies water to the faucets without the use of the water pump. If your water tank overfilled with the valve in this position chances are a check valve at the water pump or at the Anderson valve is stuck open. A lot of folks have had issues with debris in the water pump check valve and found that cleaning that check valve would solve their problems.

BTW, they lie. Anderson Kantleak can leak. Also, if you contact Anderson Brass they will send you the schematic/diagram for how the system functions and should be plumbed.

Go to this thread post 1 for the Kantleak instructions. I posted them a couple years ago when we had the Challenger.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...hers-1128.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #4

THOR #17154
The pump has been running for the last 30 minutes. Is this just another issue that’s going to bite me in the behind? Can it run continuously without burning itself out?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your valve is in the "Normal" position the pump should stop running when pressure has built up in the system. The pump will run again when you open a faucet and let the water run. The only time my pump ever ran continuously was when the valve was in the winterize/sanitize position.

Check all of your low point drains and make sure they are closed and also check to make sure the exterior shower is off. If you have an exterior kitchen check the faucets there as well.

From what you are saying I believe your issue is going to be with a water pump check valve. The Anderson system is pretty reliable and the one on my Challenger served us for 5 years of moderate use with no issues. It just started developing a minor leak in the end.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like you have a leaking can'tleak valve. It leaked when on "city fixtures" to fill (and overfill) the FW tank and now it's leaking someplace else with the pump running. Turn the pump off when you don't need it running until you figure it out and get it fixed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:48 AM   #7

THOR #17154
Thanks all for the input!
I’ve sent email to Anderson asking for help with their system. I found their schematic for the model I have.
Since the pump was running continuously I reluctantly agree that something is leaking somewhere. We’ve turned to pump off. We will turn it on when we need water.

On the trip home after buying it, the regulator and batteries acted up. In this trip, the wind was horrendous- I fought the RV trying to stay in my lane. Now the water system is misbehaving.

I’m having a serious case of buyers remorse...
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #8

THOR #17154
I just had a thought (amazing, eh?). If the Kantleak has a leak, could that be why the pump is running continuously?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
chances are you have a Anderson internal 'cartridge' that has a misaligned washer, which can easily happen when turning the valve when there is already pressure ... most of us have learned to only turn the valve when no pressurized water is turned on yet, and any pressure has been relieved from the water lines, i.e., turn on one of your faucets, or the outside faucet, itself.

as for the water pump, it could be effected by the Anderson valve, if there is a leak and water is able to then flow into the water tank, since the water tank itself has 'air bleed' tubes that extend out and under the coach. If you are like us, we've experienced several of these times when the pump just doesnt' want to stop 'pumping', or it cycles on and off every few seconds, or minutes, which is aggravating, but we just choose the use the switch to turn it on when we need it, and it solves the problem, at least in the short term.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sounds like you have a leaking can'tleak valve. It leaked when on "city fixtures" to fill (and overfill) the FW tank and now it's leaking someplace else with the pump running. Turn the pump off when you don't need it running until you figure it out and get it fixed.
Quote:
I just had a thought (amazing, eh?). If the Kantleak has a leak, could that be why the pump is running continuously?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #11

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #12

THOR #17154
I talked to Thor. The rear bathroom toilet AND sink drain into the back black.

The main bathroom’s toilet and sink drain into the main black.

Everything else, to include the outdoor sink, drains into the grey.

We replaced the Kantleak valve today. It was a little difficult to pull the old valve out. The corners of the handle were sharp and cut into the hand. A glove fixed that. After the replacement the “normal,” “city fixtures,” and “city fill tank” worked like a charm. The fix also stopped whatever leak there was and the water pump stopped running after it built up sufficient pressure. So, while I’m not at all pleased with the Kantleak quality I’m pleased that it’s now fixed (till the damned thing breaks again!).
Maysville, West (by God) Virginia
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 12-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
The pump has been running for the last 30 minutes. Is this just another issue that’s going to bite me in the behind? Can it run continuously without burning itself out?

FWIW: I don't know the mfg. of your water pump, but the Shur-Flow tech support line told me that if you have any air in the lines, the pump will keep running.

I hooked to water spigot in my garage, set the Anderson 4-way valve to City, opened ALL faucets until no air came out. Turned off faucets, switched the 4-way back to Normal. Water pump now works correctly, only running a couple minutes after running water.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #14

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
FWIW: I don't know the mfg. of your water pump, but the Shur-Flow tech support line told me that if you have any air in the lines, the pump will keep running.

I hooked to water spigot in my garage, set the Anderson 4-way valve to City, opened ALL faucets until no air came out. Turned off faucets, switched the 4-way back to Normal. Water pump now works correctly, only running a couple minutes after running water.
True - it’ll run all day if there’s air. But the problem was actually the darned Kantleak. Once we replaced the valve the pump ran till proper pressure was attained then shut off. Has been running fine since.

But - I looked in the wet bay this morning and the darned connection to the hot water tank was dripping. I’ll tell ya - Kantleak is a real POS.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #15

THOR #17154
Just an update...
We replaced the POS plastic valve on the Kantleak. It didn’t stop the problem. We rebuilt the pump with a new head assembly. That solved the “leaking into the FW tank” issue. But after reading about all the repeat problems with the plastic valve, I bit the bullet and bought the brass replacement from Kantleak. After the replacement, a connection started to leak. After fixing that, the connection behind the outdoor shower started to leak. We ended up removing the metal cover from the wet bay so we could get to everything. We finally got it all put back together and no leaks have surfaced in the last few hours. We’re calling it a win! Here’s a picture of the Charlie Foxtrot with the metal cover removed. Man, what a tangle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F016BEF-D4CF-4237-B1D1-ECD2EAEBAB30.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	22106  
Good Sam member
FMCA member