Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Texas
THOR #12722
ACE 27.2 Steering issues

Just got back from our second trip. Had a lot of side wind which made the trip rough. Since my first trip I had a front end alignment, (no issues) had my coached weighed loaded and adjusted tire pressure, added front and rear sway bars and a steering stabilizer. When a semi passes it pushes the front of the RV not the rear also when a strong gust of wind hits I feel the front of the RV veering more then the rear.
My question is will a rear track bar fix this or a front track bar? I want to add sumo springs to help absorb the rough roads but my next fix needs to be the issue with the front of the RV being pushed around.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I don't know if your ACE 27.2 is also a F53 chassis like our ACE 29.2 was, but if so, the Cheep Handling Fix solved the same issue on our rig as well as the swaying going over railroad tracks or with sidewinds.
Search the IRV2 forum for lots of info and pics. I did both the front and the rear and bought the Hellwig adjustable end links just to keep the same sway bar angle, but many just use the stock links and simply move the attachment to the inner hole.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #3

THOR #12722
I already did the CHF and yes it's on the F53 chassis. What I was wondering since the front of the vehicle veers right as a big rig comes around me and wind gust 25 plus pushes me all over the road, was wondering If I need front or a back track bar? Since I installed sway bars on front and back and put the steering stabilizer on the problem has improved some but it needs something else. Just didn't know if that something was a rear track bar or front track bar. Don't want to spend money on something I don't need.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Most F53 chassis come equipped with front track bars, are you sure you don't already have one. If you don't have one, I would get one for sure. Our 2015 Windsport 27K on the 18k chassis came with a front track bar and had similar issues as yours. The addition of the rear track helped a lot. Semi's are normally not an issue, but gusty side winds I think will always be felt.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 AM   #5

Model: Windsport
THOR #13291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
I already did the CHF and yes it's on the F53 chassis. What I was wondering since the front of the vehicle veers right as a big rig comes around me and wind gust 25 plus pushes me all over the road, was wondering If I need front or a back track bar? Since I installed sway bars on front and back and put the steering stabilizer on the problem has improved some but it needs something else. Just didn't know if that something was a rear track bar or front track bar. Don't want to spend money on something I don't need.
What it’s the CHF I keep reading about but don’t know what it is
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #5884
I have an ACE 30.1 and am considering the CHF on the front. However, the angle of the connection between the vertical member and the bar changes significantly. Did yours change as well and did it cause any problems such as excess wear on the bearings?

Thanks,
Old 05-04-2019, 04:21 AM   #7

THOR #12722
Evidently the front Trac Bar was an option and Thor decided it wasn't needed on mine since the weight class is 16000. Attempted to put a Dvis TruTrac from Roadmaster on today. It didn't fit. The bracket that attaches to the leaf spring wont line up. After a few conversation and some Pics I sent to Roadmaster tech line they recommend that I reverse the brackets from what the instructions said to do. It fixed one problem but caused another one. Will contact Roadmaster Monday morning.
Is there any other manufactures who sales front trac bars? Thought about calling Blue Ox, but their web site says up to yr 2011 on there's, mine is a 2018.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:26 AM   #8

THOR #12722
I replaced the front sway bar with a heavy duty bar from Roadmaster when I installed the rear sway bar. I didn't notice any bad angles but I have only put about 3000 miles on it since then. I check my tires quite often but haven't noticed any unusual wear on the front tires.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

THOR #989
Since the front track bar was an option for your chassis but not put on at the factory can you buy parts from Ford. The front factory track bar on our 18K chassis is very heavy duty as compared to the aftermarket I put on the back.
Good luck!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

THOR #12722
I do plan on calling Ford to see if it is available. I also plan on trying to find a service center in the area that may have some insight on my dilemma.

Thank you for responding.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
.... Since my first trip I had a front end alignment, (no issues) ......
and, what was the caster set at?

If it was between +3 and +4 it is too little for highway speeds. IMO.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 AM   #12

THOR #12722
That's greek to me. They hooked it up to machine/computer and it was within tolerance, at least that what they said.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #13

THOR #989
Have you had the mh weighed? Our Windsport 27K weighs 16300# fully loaded (5600 front, 10700 rear). Our mh is on an 18k chassis. I believe the 16K chassis has lower rated springs so weight imbalance could be causing some of your problems.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
That's greek to me. They hooked it up to machine/computer and it was within tolerance, at least that what they said.
The specified caster tolerance for the E350/E450 cutaways is about +1.5 to +7 degrees.

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber collars, "one size fits all". You can recognize these collars because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford collars, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31+ footers.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Old 05-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Our first RV was an Axis 25.2. I put front and rear stabilizer bars on it, ROADMASTER, and it made a huge diff. Our second RV was a 2018 Windsport 29m with the F-53 Ford frame. I'm very happy with the handling and don't notice much wind push but I did not like the way the steering wheel seemed to be back and forth constantly. It was recommended to me to install Sumo Springs first. I did and it made a big improvement! Don't think I'd install them on the back. If anything, I'd order a rear stabilizer bar to go with the stock one on it. On the Windsport, it will have two, you don't replace the factory one, you add the ROADMASTER one. Good Luck; Bob Trice
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #16

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Spare Anti-Sway Bar

If anyone is looking for a rear anti-sway bar, I have a spare. I bought the wrong one and could not return. It would fit a F53 18K with the lower shock mounts parallel to the ground. Drop me an email. KBlanchard@email.phoenix.edu if interested.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #17

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Sandoval View Post
What it’s the CHF I keep reading about but don’t know what it is
The cheap fix is when you change the position of your front and rear sway bar from the outer hole to the inner hole. Basically your tightening up the travel of your suspension
And to answer the question on the TRACK BAR, the track bar mounts to the rear axle pumpkin and connects to the frame to prevents side sway, usually help while towing.

Hope this adds some clarity
Old 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

THOR #12722
Just an update. I ordered a tru trac bar from Etrailer. (Roadmaster) Installed the bracket to the chassis but the bracket that attaches to the leave spring would not fit. Took pictures and Roadmaster stood firm that it was a confirm fit and Etrailer would not refund my money. I took it to a shop and he put it on the rack. He also said the same thing. I sent Roadmaster more pics, name of shop and mechanic. They finally OK'ed Etrailer to refund my money. Going forth in my purchases Roadmaster and Etrailer will no longer be my first choice on parts.
I did go by and talked to the Ford parts Manager and they ordered me everything I needed. He couldn't believe that Thor or or the Dealer didn't have it on there.
Will update later to let everybody know how it went.