Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22e
State: Maryland
THOR #17872
Red face Anode Rod - Freedom Elite 22e?

Hi,

I was draining my hot water heater on my 2016 Freedom Elite 22e and pulled out the plug to drain the water and thought everything was fine. Then I saw posts saying that some RVs have anode rods attached to the plug. Well, mine didn't seem to have one. I'm a second owner of this rig and I'm not sure it was well maintained by the previous owner. So, maybe it rotted away? Or maybe this unit doesn't require one? I've searched the forums, Internet and YouTube, but can't find a definitive answer. Any help will be appreciated. And, if I do need one, are they all the same size when you purchase them?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-09-2020, 11:57 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlraulin View Post
Hi,

I was draining my hot water heater on my 2016 Freedom Elite 22e and pulled out the plug to drain the water and thought everything was fine. Then I saw posts saying that some RVs have anode rods attached to the plug. Well, mine didn't seem to have one. I'm a second owner of this rig and I'm not sure it was well maintained by the previous owner. So, maybe it rotted away? Or maybe this unit doesn't require one? I've searched the forums, Internet and YouTube, but can't find a definitive answer. Any help will be appreciated. And, if I do need one, are they all the same size when you purchase them?

Thanks,
Mark
Pictures? Who makes your water heater, and do you have the model #?

Your assessment of "rotted away" is likely the correct one.

Suburban has a scale of what they are supposed to look like. See attached

Plan on buying a set of two they are inexpensive and I am pretty sure are very much needed in any water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anode.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	27089  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
If it is a nylon plug, it's an Atwood Aluminium tank and does not use an anode.

Steel tank Suburban does. Always use a six-point socket on whichever it is. nylon 15/16 0r 7/8 depending on the model #. Suburban 1 1/16
Old 11-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22e
State: Maryland
THOR #17872
Anode

Thanks guys.. yep, it's an Atwood water heater. The manual (which I found) says it doesn't use an anode. That's great news because it means it hasn't been totally neglected. I'm learning more each day about the RV.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Thanks guys.. yep, it's an Atwood water heater. The manual (which I found) says it doesn't use an anode. That's great news because it means it hasn't been totally neglected. I'm learning more each day about the RV.
It does need the nylon/plastic plug, not brass or steel.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode rod, freedom elite 22e, hot water heater