Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2024, 11:19 PM   #1
Rbc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #31971
Wiring nightmare on 2018 4Winds

After returning from our trip to FL, I looked under the RV to find this bundle of joy. Everything seems to be working in the coach (2018 Ford E-350 chassis, Thor "Four Winds" 22E body). What I am shocked by is this entire mess was taped up with duct tape! The coach only had 15K miles on it when purchased at Camping World. They supposedly did a thorough inspection before sale AND it has been back twice for state inspections. Nothing ever mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240229_181248.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	45332  

Old 02-29-2024, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Looks like it's just excess wire in the loom that needs to be tied up with zip ties, not duct tape. Luckily, nothing looks to be torn up.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:52 AM   #3

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbc View Post
After returning from our trip to FL, I looked under the RV to find this bundle of joy. Everything seems to be working in the coach (2018 Ford E-350 chassis, Thor "Four Winds" 22E body). What I am shocked by is this entire mess was taped up with duct tape! The coach only had 15K miles on it when purchased at Camping World. They supposedly did a thorough inspection before sale AND it has been back twice for state inspections. Nothing ever mentioned.
Heater pads are not far behind... sagging tape for those too. Don't hold your breath too long for CW to fix... I'd do myself, or hire out a mobile tech. What else did they miss?

Don't wait...
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:07 AM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
If those are tank heaters, they do need to be redone properly. Shoddy inspection done by them.

Do you know if this unit was used to do trips to Mexico, may be a false tank...
Old 03-01-2024, 01:12 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
It looks like someone half-assed Gorilla taped up busted plastic on the bottom of a roto-cast storage compartment.

Those wires were probably just stuffed up on top and were knocked loose. I've spent hours under ours properly zip-tying loose wires.

I'd consider cleaning up that "taping job" FIRST. If that is a storage box you'll get lots of water and road debris in there. You CAN use black Gorilla tape (good stuff) BUT the surface MUST be spotless clean. Done properly it will last a LONG time and is practically water proof for that application.

I actually used Gorilla tape to secure the tank sensor wires on mine... Thor just left gobs of wire dangling which would have eventually looked like yours! Just clean everything up really well and secure with zip ties and Gorilla tape and you're good. Mine has held up just fine going on four years.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:19 AM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
It looks like someone half-assed Gorilla taped up busted plastic on the bottom of a roto-cast storage compartment.

Those wires were probably just stuffed up on top and were knocked loose. I've spent hours under ours properly zip-tying loose wires.
Ah, storage.... a mule RV story is more exciting.

EDIT: But I dunno... goto 3:50 in the vid

Old 03-01-2024, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
BLACK TANK??? How did THAT go undiscovered at time of purchase? Or after a one-nighter?

Could be the gray... probably in that back corner below the shower. Looks like the tank is bent in the middle (curbed?) and someone tried to reinforce it with some corrugated underbelly from a towable?? Who knows...

Edit: After looking a LOT closer, I think that's the way the tank is designed... low point near the waste exit. But still can't explain what's taped on there??? Maybe a couple more pics? Could be just janky wiring with terrible tape job, BUT... ???
Old 03-01-2024, 08:30 PM   #8
Rbc

THOR #31971
Was able to remove all the old tape. As a former construction worker, I am amazed at what these companies put out as quality work. Why wasn't the wiring cut to fit and loom placed over it. Just horrendous. This is all for the black tank though the gray tank looks like it will let go soon.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:35 PM   #9
Rbc

THOR #31971
I will have to try gorilla tape as the duct tape I have isn't holding very well. Just so much extra wiring. The tank heater pad seems to be adhering well so it's just the extra wire. When it warms up here I may get back under and remove the splices and cut the wire to fit, then add all new loom
Old 03-01-2024, 08:47 PM   #10
mnc

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Brunswick
THOR #6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbc View Post
I will have to try gorilla tape as the duct tape I have isn't holding very well. Just so much extra wiring. The tank heater pad seems to be adhering well so it's just the extra wire. When it warms up here I may get back under and remove the splices and cut the wire to fit, then add all new loom
That would be the best solution.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:29 AM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #30693
Bundle of joy

[QUOTE=Rbc;406662]After returning from our trip to FL, I looked under the RV to find this bundle of joy. Everything seems to be working in the coach (2018 Ford E-350 chassis, Thor "Four Winds" 22E body). What I am shocked by is this entire mess was taped up with duct tape! The coach only had 15K miles on it when purchased at Camping World. They supposedly did a thorough inspection before sale AND it has been back twice for state inspections. Nothing ever mentioned.[/QUOTE

I’d have my grandmother work on it before having CW, inspect it closely for any damage, the take electrical ties and secure it properly !