Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Another Tire Pressure story

Have you ever checked the air pressure in your tires?
I thought I should before I head out for a family trip Monday.
Found both fronts to be at 102psi cold.
All rears to be at 72psi cold. Big difference.
I know the local tire shop in town takes care of tires and other things for Camping World.
They actually replaced both front tires on my coach before I bought it in August due to tires being out of round during coach delivery from the factory.
Per the tire store this is what caused a thump in the front during my first test drive.
Sticker in the cockpit next to the driver shows all tires to be at 80psi cold. Tires (Goodyear) state on the side wall to be 110psi cold MAX. I called the tire store and they said as long as it was not over the recommended tire listing on the side wall it's all ok.
Well? Maybe?
I asked, since you just install new tires on the front and you put in 102psi are you suggesting that I air up all rear tires to 102? Answer was yes. I decided to run the front down to 95 and all rear up to 90psi. I'll see how that feels on the road to Memphis.
Any other tire stories out there for share? I'm in the learning mode here.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
What you really should do is weigh your rig and then use the Goodyear RV tire inflation chart (pdf) to determine what pressure to keep them at (at least according to the tire manufacturer).

You'll likely find that because of the dually's in the rear you really should have lower pressure in the rears than the fronts.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 AM   #3

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
What you really should do is weigh your rig and then use the Goodyear RV tire inflation chart (pdf) to determine what pressure to keep them at (at least according to the tire manufacturer).

You'll likely find that because of the dually's in the rear you really should have lower pressure in the rears than the fronts.
I will agree.
However, I have no idea where or how to go about weighing the coach. I'm sure CW is not set up for this.
At least they have never mentioned it.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
I will agree.
However, I have no idea where or how to go about weighing the coach. I'm sure CW is not set up for this.
At least they have never mentioned it.
Here you go. Look for a CAT scale near you. They are at a lot of truck stops/gas stations that have truck lanes.

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

I'm a new RV owner and I weighed mine. Very easy. Hardest part is being able to press the button when you pull up (I opened driver window and then used the handle from a swiffer mop).

There are threads on here and IRV2.com where people have explained the process, but basically for a simple weigh:

1. Drive on to scales and pull up to where you will see a unit with a button and speaker (sort of like at fast food restaurant)
2. Press the button. As mentioned, you will probably need something several feet long to reach through window
3. They might ask for a truck number, you can probably make something up or just say it's an RV (I think the truck number is so if you pull off and back on for a reweigh they can get them all linked).
4. They will tell you to come to the desk for the ticket
5. Go inside, give them $12 (I think that's the price) and they will give you a slip showing you how much each axle ways and if you are towing a vehicle, how much the toad weighs.

Very simple.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I'm a new RV owner and I weighed mine. Very easy. Hardest part is being able to press the button when you pull up (I opened driver window and then used the handle from a swiffer mop).
I've done this a few times as there is one about 5 miles from our house here. I usually get out of the RV, walk around, and jump as high as I can to press the button (probably looks pretty funny to anyone watching LOL).
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Psi

I had our rig weighed at the RV service shop where I live when I had the first alignment done. I really believe that the comments made by CW prove that you don't want to go back there when it comes to your driving comfort and safety. After weighing, we ended up running 80 in front, 65-70 (70) in the rears on our Axis. As has said before, under inflation is very bad but this over inflation issue negates a good ride and good handling.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Once you get weighed, how do you know what pressure is correct? We have Michelins on our RV.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Once you get weighed, how do you know what pressure is correct? We have Michelins on our RV.
Post #2 in this thread gives a link.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Weighing isn’t mandatory but it is a PIA and causes way to much extra work, forget that, put 80psi front 70psi rear then go have fun.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Weighing isn’t mandatory but it is a PIA and causes way to much extra work, forget that, put 80psi front 70psi rear then go have fun.
Pretty much it.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
The label by the driver seat gives you the recommended pressures for the fully loaded axles. Weighing will help know the actual axle weights, based on your current load and weight distribution.

Down and quick method, use the values on the label.

Accurate and a bit more involved, is to use scales. If you use the scales, I suggest you load the vehicle as you will be traveling most time, including water and such, document what is in the storage bays (especially the heavy items), the get on scales with everyone in there perspective places. If you can't reach button, get desk phone number first and call them to assist. Most of the places will only give you axle weights. More accurate is to get corner weights, but that gets more difficult and involved.

Once you have your weights, use manufacturers tables to set pressures.

I'm not sure the difference in settings is worth a lot of effort, haven't analyzed it enough. I remember both my axles were under the max, but total weight was less than 300# from max of 18,000#.

For my rig, I run 80-83 all around and the label specifies 82. Also, unless you're gauge is regularly calibrated, you will STILL just be "somewhere" close to the magic number, so don't get too hung up on the details.

Hope this helps
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is the Michelin RV tire load chart (pdf).

Weighing the rig isn't a PITA its a fairly simple process that takes 10 minutes tops. Every RV'er should weigh the rig for safety's sake (how do you know if you are overloading it if you never take it to the scales?).
Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Agree with knowing your rig weight. Overloading isn't good and is pretty easy to do.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Here is the Michelin RV tire load chart (pdf).

Weighing the rig isn't a PITA its a fairly simple process that takes 10 minutes tops. Every RV'er should weigh the rig for safety's sake (how do you know if you are overloading it if you never take it to the scales?).
Amen...

If you think that it's a pain in the butt to do this: how do you feel about blow-outs at highway speeds??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Amen...

If you think that it's a pain in the butt to do this: how do you feel about blow-outs at highway speeds??
I’ve owned motorhomes for 35 years, I’m a stickler for keeping the proper air pressures in my tires, I have never weighed my corners and have never had a blowout. I’m not going to debate anyone one whether to weigh or not to weigh, do what you want. Some people just have to make things way more difficult than needed......eek.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
... I have never weighed my corners ...
No one said to weigh each corner. The suggested Cat scales is a truck scale that only weighs the axles (there are 4 platforms on the Catscales. Most RVs just use two, if you're pulling a toad you'd put the toad on a 3rd one). This is why its so simple: pull in, press the button, drive off and go pay your fee.

Our Axis is our 4th RV--I never weighed the first two but as they got bigger and heavier the need to weigh them became more important (especially with the 5th wheel as its weight was really on the border of the F250 we were using to pull it with).
Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
, I have never weighed my corners and have never had a blowout.
I'm not saying that you WILL suffer a blow-out. I'm just saying that under-inflation of a well-loaded tire; does a pretty good job of increasing the chances...
knowledge is probably the most useful tool that you can pack along with you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
That's exactly what I've been doing. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Those taking the don't worry, don't weigh approach should at least insure a few things.

First, make sure you aren't below the minimum recommended pressure for your tires.
Second, as mentioned above, if you aren't going to weigh, then the safest course of action is to go with the sticker inside your RV.