Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Anti scald adjustment for shower

2018 Thor 37rb class A. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on the shower to turn the temperature of the hot water down. The temperature of the hot water coming out of the shower is very hot. Is there an anti-scald adjustment in the shower head or anyting?

Old 02-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well im assuming your RV is like my Axis. I set the digital temp to around 110 (I think it will go to 125 max). Do you have a digital temp with the on and off switch?

I only use the hot water only when taking a shower - it works much better that way.

Plus you have a small knob on the water heater that controls (hard to get to on most RV's) how fast the water goes into the water heater but that only slows down the water flow (not the temp).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:24 AM   #3

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well im assuming your RV is like my Axis. I set the digital temp to around 110 (I think it will go to 125 max). Do you have a digital temp with the on and off switch?

I only use the hot water only when taking a shower - it works much better that way.

Plus you have a small knob on the water heater that controls (hard to get to on most RV's) how fast the water goes into the water heater but that only slows down the water flow (not the temp).
No, I don't have a digital temperature setting. I researched a little further and found out that the thermostat installed in the heater is set at 140. It can be changed for a thermostat set at 120.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:44 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I think turning a little cold water on would help.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Yep I have to temper mine with cold as well. But one mis-movement in that tight shower and the hot water will scald you.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
If it's an Atwood 6 gallon (maybe others) these are available. I used when grandkids were young. Now not necessary for them or use so we did not install on this RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93105-...74393736&psc=1
Old 03-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Why would anyone use just hot water in the shower? You should always use both hot and cold water together. If your hot water is running 140 just turn on the cold water then adjust the hot to your liking. Be smart with the hot water.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 AM   #8

State: California
THOR #16919
The single handle mixer valves in these RV’s can make for an interesting experience when taking a shower. A little nudge one way or the other in tight quarters can lead to hot or cold flashes of water. We ended up replacing our mixer valve with a two handled valve so we can set it and forget it. Much better experience in the shower now.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

State: Kentucky
THOR #2349
Thumbs up Hot water cross-over

I own a former rental unit, 2006 Majestic, and there is a blending arrangement on the back side of the water heater. This allows me to blend cold water with the hot water coming out of the water heater. It is a simple arrangement involving three in-line valves, one on the cold water supply near the water heater, one on the hot water supply line, and one on a connecting line between the cold line and the hot line. by adjusting the crossover line you can adjust the temp of the water to all the fixtures including the shower.

Don
Old 03-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfougere View Post
I own a former rental unit, 2006 Majestic, and there is a blending arrangement on the back side of the water heater. This allows me to blend cold water with the hot water coming out of the water heater. It is a simple arrangement involving three in-line valves, one on the cold water supply near the water heater, one on the hot water supply line, and one on a connecting line between the cold line and the hot line. by adjusting the crossover line you can adjust the temp of the water to all the fixtures including the shower.

Don
That's not a "blending arrangement", those are your water heater winterizing valves. Each valve should be either fully open or fully shut depending on the winterized status of your water system. Leaving the bypass valve even partially open while using the RV causes all kinds of threads on RV forums of people asking what is wrong with their RV's water system.

The blending valves are on your shower and sinks.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I think turning a little cold water on would help.
I agree with you, Jimbo, before we step into the shower we have adjusted the temp of the water coming out of the shower....using the old, hot and cold water method.....
there may be adjustments at the hot water heater...our water is plenty hot, which is what I want when washing dishes...however, being a senior...I learned a long time ago the old way of adjusting the temp!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's not a "blending arrangement", those are your water heater winterizing valves. Each valve should be either fully open or fully shut depending on the winterized status of your water system. Leaving the bypass valve even partially open while using the RV causes all kinds of threads on RV forums of people asking what is wrong with their RV's water system.

The blending valves are on your shower and sinks.
There ya go! What he said...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:51 AM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
Why would anyone use just hot water in the shower? You should always use both hot and cold water together. If your hot water is running 140 just turn on the cold water then adjust the hot to your liking. Be smart with the hot water.

Remember there are different types of water heaters, that need different handling...

The traditional ‘tank’ water heaters are typically fixed temp, and need cold water mixed in at sink/shower to not be too hot.
Lower temp thermostats can be put in if concerned about scalding. Still likely needs some cold mixed in.

The ‘tankless’ water heaters typically have the digital thermostat, and since they rely on flow to work properly, tend to work better if set at a temp that allows hot only to be used.

The only thing consistent between our rigs is the Thor name... and the SOB owners make that not even true...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #14

Model: Vegas
State: Arizona
THOR #11153
“The ‘tankless’ water heaters typically have the digital thermostat, and since they rely on flow to work properly, tend to work better if set at a temp that allows hot only to be used.”

Yes. We have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 with a tankless heater. I found that out the hard way since I wasn’t used to tankless heaters before. With some trial & error I finally found the desired setting and leave it there. I also put a note on it threatening anyone who changes it.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:59 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
[/ QUOTE] - "I also put a note on it threatening anyone who changes it."-[/QUOTE]

Got a good chuckle out of that one!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #16

Model: outlaw 37rb
State: California
THOR #5223
Adjusting water temp

We have 2016 Outlaw 37rb and had opposite problem that the dealer could not solve after a few visits: the water would start out kinda' hot, then quickly get cool. There is a mixer valve (not winterizing valve) behind the water heater. Our access was behind the tiny closet under the stairs to the loft. It was completely open, mixing cold with hot. We closed it, and adjust the water temperature with the appropriate handles in either the kitchen, bathroom or shower.
I was required to use the dealer for warranty work, or a place much further than that. I called a repair shop that we used for an older rv and he could easily troubleshoot the problem over the phone. I bought him a gift card to a local coffee shop.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

State: Kentucky
THOR #2349
I agree that the crossover is used to isolate the water heater when winterizing the system. However, I posit the following:
1. Water at 140 degrees will scald you very quickly, that is why domestic hot water heaters are typically set at about 115 degrees.
2. A child washing their hands may not realize that the water is that hot.
3 An owner of a RV should be familiar enough with their rig to understand how the systems work.
4. There is nothing wrong with using a system for more than one result.
5. By using the bypass to blend cold water with the hot, you have effectively made a 6 gallon water heater into a 10 gallon heater without any modifications.
I stand by my original position.

Don