Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 27.7
State: Missouri
THOR #24316
Anyone have AC duct diagram?

2019 Thor Vegas 27.7. No air coming from circle vents.
- I've fixed the AC baffle issue (amazing this is a thing).
- I've tried forcing ALL output from the AC into the driver-side ducting - nothing comes out of the ducted circle vents.
- I ran a rod through the circle vents from front to back. No blockage, but I can't see the probe from the AC unit box(!).
So, are the vents from the AC actually connected to the ducts?
QUESTION: Does anyone have a diagram of the ducting? There might be a place that was supposed to have been cut-through during construction, but wasn't.

For the duration of the summer, I've Macgyvered an external bypass from the unit into the circle duct at the kitchen with some aluminum gutter downspouts. Lots of airflow. Looks awful, but we'll survive the season.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in MO View Post
- I've tried forcing ALL output from the AC into the driver-side ducting - nothing comes out of the ducted circle vents.
- I ran a rod through the circle vents from front to back. No blockage, but I can't see the probe from the AC unit box(!).
QUESTION: Does anyone have a diagram of the ducting? There might be a place that was supposed to have been cut-through during construction, but wasn't.

For the duration of the summer, I've Macgyvered an external bypass from the unit into the circle duct at the kitchen with some aluminum gutter downspouts. Lots of airflow. Looks awful, but we'll survive the season.
I don’t have a diagram, but when I was troubleshooting airflow issues, I removed several vents and poked my cell phone camera up into the hole and took photos. The photos allowed me to see how the ducts were run and also showed me an area of restricted flow.
Is this a new issue for you or has it always been this way?
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #3

THOR #24316
Did that. Also ran rod to confirm. No blockage.
Shone flashlight from various points. Can see light, but appears like shining through foam vs open path.
Odd that no flow when forced.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Contact Thor and ask them for the diagram you want. Thor's diagrams are proprietary and cannot be shared without their express written permission which I know they are very reluctant or do not extend to owners.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The ceiling "ducting" in my Axis is no more than a front to back trough. Three layer of foam make up the ceiling/roof construct. The center layer is laid up with voids creating the "duct". The vents are created with a hole saw where ever the installer chooses, even cutting an aluminum joist. I found chunks of foam from those cutouts up inside (common occurrence). Your rod may have just slid by some junk like that. If you can, use your rod to pass a line from vent to vent, up to the front. Don't cut the line. Tie a small object, like a rolled up sock, securely to line at the first vent opening with the remaining line still on the spool. The idea is to pull the sock thru, with any debris, but to be able to pull it back if it gets stuck. You could also just go from vent to vent.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Check at the AC itself where the baffle is. There are side vents up in the AC cavity that route cold air to the coach. If those are blocked that would cause the problem. And, did you get the baffle adjusted correctly? You could have blocked the side vents in the AC cavity.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #7

THOR #19102
Like gnash, the ducting in our hurricane is just front to back, one on left side of ac and one on right side of ac. Nothing fancy about it.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Not sure but are the open/close vents controlled by vacuum? Maybe a bad or disconnected vacuum hose? Had it happen before.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in MO View Post

Actually if you see the factory assemble the roof, there are not ducts per say. There is simply a lack of foam insulation blocks that form a rectangular channel in the roof insulation. Smoothing out the airflow into these channels is the way to make considerable improvement ins the turbulent air flow to the ceiling vents. Metal turning vanes are the best.
Generaly, the right side vents flow more air because of the CW rotation (as view fron the front) rotation of the squirl cage fan.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
Not sure but are the open/close vents controlled by vacuum? Maybe a bad or disconnected vacuum hose? Had it happen before.
No, nothing so sophisticated. Just a plenum, front to back. Read the description above.
The two ends aren't even blocked off. They just dump air into the front and rear caps. It's been discussed in multiple threads about different methods to close them. The simplest is to remove those 4 end vents and
stuff some 'glass insulation (denim if you're touchy about fg) in the space heading to the end. Very simple. In fact, simple enough for the factory to do it in the first place.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Here's a picture from a very good ac thread, post #89.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...e-12980-5.html

When you were working on the baffle did you notice the 2 holes from the ac to the ducts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_193450.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	32250  
Old 07-27-2021, 02:31 AM   #12

THOR #24316
Thanks all. Fixed!

Ok, so I'm not crazy.
I contacted Thor and asked if they had diagrams of the ceiling construction. After a little explaining, I got a PDF (see pic). As expected, the styrofoam vent channel "ducting" is straight-through. In the diagram, the A/C baffle should connect to the duct with a shaped piece to direct the flow. This was not the case in mine. IT WAS NOT FREAKING CONNECTED!!!
I cut a small test hole where it should connect and found the duct channel (see photo from the forward vent rearward with my knife poking through).
I used a hacksaw blade to open up both sides and silver-taped it to prevent air loss.
Reinstalled baffle and a little adjusting - I now have what I expect for an AC system.

I really like my RV, but dang! Amazing the poor construction I've been discovering. *sigh*

Name:	ACvent.png
Views:	121
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	32253

Name:	through.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	32254

Name:	taped.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	32255
Old 07-27-2021, 02:42 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I'm forever cleaning up little styrofoam shards in ours. Whoever though of making air ductwork out of a styrofoam cooler was genius...
Old 07-27-2021, 03:02 AM   #14

THOR #19102
Wow, that's a new one, but glad you got it sorted out.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:55 AM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #7681
Deke

This is my first post but I follow the forum closely. The forum has been very helpful in my adventures with my Thor Chateau 31Y.

In reading the frustrations with AC distribution, I know the pain and coming from the deep south with temperatures are near 100 AC is pretty important. I tried a new product called RV Airflow Systems and it has been amazing. It is an engineered styrofoam insert that forces AC air flow into the duct work. Relatively simple installation with significant improvement in AC efficiency and AC performance throughout the RV.