Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 04:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
Anyone have this water pump problem

2014 Thor Palazzo.

Water pump will come on/off every 2 seconds. Changed to a new pump and still the same. Checked all water lines I could see, and no leaks, and no water leaks on city water.

Is there a return line to the fresh water tank with a return valve? And if so, where is it located??? Was hooked up to city water for 7 months in Las Vegas, but ran the pump once a month to exercise it. Problem did not start until started driving again.

Losing hair over this one.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Mine pulses when a faucet is opened, but otherwise doesn’t run unless .
Old 06-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
With any type of pump it will run when the tap is open or the pump is trying to keep up the pressure set at the pump. You either have air getting into the line or there is a water leak somewhere. I have had many of the pumps just burp once or twice every so often so just shut it off when not in use. You may look into an accumulator tank as a possible fix.
Coveman2
Old 06-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My 25 year rv guy kurt says 100% a leak
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
On some pumps you can adjust the sensitivity of the pressure shut off. Look for a screw at the top of the pump or read the owners manual. On mine it took only about 1/8 of a turn to stop the incessant cycling. But, of course, first verify that you do t have a leak. If your pressure bleeds down in 2 seconds it’d have to be a pretty substantial leak and easily identified.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #23845
Water Pump

Not sure if this will help but the prior owner of our 2017 Axis had an issue with what he thought was the pump and it turned out to be a blocked line. He had changed out the pump to a new one and still had an issue, took air to the lines and blew them all out and it solved the issue.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #14658
I just replaced all of the cracked components from the great Texas freeze this year. The last piece was the water pump. I had to replace the main water filter and the small water filter that is attached to the pump itself, along with the plastic valve behind the shower handles. There were no leaks afterward but the pump did just what you are describing. After researching online, I found out that there were valves inside the pump that had frozen and were the problem. I ordered a new pump and installed it. No more 2-second pump runs! All is like new again. On a side note...Who at Thor thought that putting the electrical works right next to the water pump and filter was a good idea? It took a week to dry out the compartment before I could repair it.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
IMHO the engineers are not RV people who do not have to deal with where they put stuff like pumps and electrical hook ups and anything that you have to be a contorshornist to get to.
Coveman2
Old 07-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parne View Post
2014 Thor Palazzo.

Water pump will come on/off every 2 seconds. Changed to a new pump and still the same. Checked all water lines I could see, and no leaks, and no water leaks on city water.

Is there a return line to the fresh water tank with a return valve? And if so, where is it located??? Was hooked up to city water for 7 months in Las Vegas, but ran the pump once a month to exercise it. Problem did not start until started driving again.

Losing hair over this one.
From the Shurflo troubleshooting section:
- Are the valves held open by debris or is the rubber swollen?
- Pressure switch operation. By-pass set higher than shut-off.

So take it apart to see if debris is inside which would allow the H2O to return to the tank. As for the by-pass setting, you will have to read the applicable manual.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #14658
I figured that as hard as it was to get through all of the wiring to get to the pump I was only going to do it once so I just ordered a new one. It was only $58.00 and a direct replacement. Yours may be different, but here was the one I got. SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 New 3.0 GPM RV Water Pump Revolution, 12V. I ordered it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1