Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Furnace Issue - Blower does not start when Thermostat asks for heat

Hi All,
I searched the threads and can't find a similar issue. When I "Request" heat I hear a click but the blower does not come on. Repair shop cant see me till Nov so I need to take a stab at this myself. Since blower is not turning on I assume it is nothing Sail Switch and beyond. So do I test the Blower motor itself and the Time Delay Relay? I am not sure when the Time Delay relay comes into play.

Looking for thoughts on what to test first.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 09-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHopeful View Post
Hi All,
I searched the threads and can't find a similar issue. When I "Request" heat I hear a click but the blower does not come on. Repair shop cant see me till Nov so I need to take a stab at this myself. Since blower is not turning on I assume it is nothing Sail Switch and beyond. So do I test the Blower motor itself and the Time Delay Relay? I am not sure when the Time Delay relay comes into play.

Looking for thoughts on what to test first.

Thanks,
Larry
Try Youtube "Atwood RV Propane Furnace Trouble Shooting". Pick your video.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Is the click coming from the thermostat? That is normal.

Now lets look at the furnace. When was the last time it worked?
Open the door and look at the control board - is it wet (common issue)?

You can verify 12 VDC to the fan and even jumper 12 VDC to the fan to verify it works if you have experience with electrical troubleshooting.

If your inputs are good and the blower is good you likely have a failed circuit board (common problem). If so, replace it with a Dinosaur Fan 50+ board you can get on Amazon for less that an OEM replacement board and it has a 3 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XU7H8Q/

OEM Board - https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-31501-...dp/B009TRTSAS/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

THOR #19723
Thanks for the schematic that helps; It worked Sunday morning I turned it on for the first time this season, ran for one cycle and wouldn't come back on. I am reasonably certain I hear the click in the furnace but no blower comes. I assume if I have 12v at the blower then the Relay is good. I was going to disconnect the leads to the fan if I can and connect it straight to a battery to confirm it runs. There was actually a Mobil RV tech working next door to me Sunday morning and I talked to him and he thought the board was bad, so he popped a new one in and still now blower. He never tested the fan. He claimed there was a controller in the AC which sounded odd to me. He didn't do anything else. Do you think checking blower is next logical step?
Old 09-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for the schematic that helps; It worked Sunday morning I turned it on for the first time this season, ran for one cycle and wouldn't come back on. I am reasonably certain I hear the click in the furnace but no blower comes. I assume if I have 12v at the blower then the Relay is good. I was going to disconnect the leads to the fan if I can and connect it straight to a battery to confirm it runs. There was actually a Mobil RV tech working next door to me Sunday morning and I talked to him and he thought the board was bad, so he popped a new one in and still now blower. He never tested the fan. He claimed there was a controller in the AC which sounded odd to me. He didn't do anything else. Do you think checking blower is next logical step?
You can do that. If there is a click on the circuit board; that is probably the relay working. I would probably verify 12 VDC on the BLO terminal first (when heat is called for). If everything checks out OK don't discount a bad circuit board - the RV tech's board may have been bad as well.

In my mind; the fact that it worked Sunday but not since also makes the CB a probable suspect as they fail way more often than blower motors. But cover all your bases.

Just for grins, have you reset the circuit breaker/On-Off switch on the furnace?

BTW, attached is a screen shot of the applicable troubleshooting steps (such as they are) from the Atwood Service Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood.png
Views:	98
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	33989  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #6

THOR #19723
Hey Quick Follow up, Now my control board is flashing red once pause three second then blinks again. According to the guide on the motor it says low voltage or "limit switch" Are they referring to the high limit sensor? Do you think that a failed High limit sensor would prevent the blower from working? I am assuming that would cut power to the furnace? Lastly it looks like its right above the Exhaust port on my dometic furnace, do you know. If so I am assuming if i disconnect it and jumper the wires together I can test it as the culprit?
Old 10-05-2021, 05:07 AM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Hey Quick Follow up, Now my control board is flashing red once pause three second then blinks again. According to the guide on the motor it says low voltage or "limit switch" Are they referring to the high limit sensor? Do you think that a failed High limit sensor would prevent the blower from working? I am assuming that would cut power to the furnace? Lastly it looks like its right above the Exhaust port on my dometic furnace, do you know. If so I am assuming if i disconnect it and jumper the wires together I can test it as the culprit?
Looking at the wiring diagram the control board does not know if it would be the limit or sail switch that would be open. And no, the limit switch would not prevent the blower from working... I suggest you check if volts are applied across the motor when heat is called for.