Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Murphy's Oil soap says wood only?
Now there you go reading the instructions and manual Some folks swear by mop and glo too I will not say it does not work, but I am not putting Mop and Glo on my new RV

This is not rocket science stuff. Just keep the roof clean and any mild detergent will likely be suffice. Their are 100s of choices. But if you gonna clean the roof, wouldn't it make sense to wax at the same time if you could? There may be 10 - 20 good choices of wash and wax solutions. I have used a number of them over the years, but my logic is simple, given that I am going to go up 12 ft for 30 minutes on my roof, I am not gonna play around while I am up there. I am taking with me the best wash and wax solution I can find and the cost is none factor. The fact that I happen to use Wash n Wax solution as a brand does not mean I think it is the only game in town, but my money says it is hands down one of the Top 5 Wash N Wax solutions, plus I can use it safely on the entire RV, cars, motorcycles and boat. I love it.

But if you wish to seek the best overall answer, do what I did and call your roof mfg directly. Crane Composites who made my roof sent me a pdf on what they recommend. They say what I am doing is above what they call for to preserve my 10 year warranty

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #22

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When you're up on the roof: take off anything sharp or metal (no chances of cutting the TPO), and take off you shoes...
Wow Bob, I had been putting on my steel cleated golf shoes so I would not fall

I actually wear my boat shoes, and I pretty much stay down the center of the roof, if I need to scrub a spot that is close to the edge ... well I don't. When I finish the roof, I go get my ladder and go back to that spot and do it by hand. I am a coward on that roof, and man enough to admit it
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-18-2021, 11:29 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since your cleats are off the list: you'll need a Snell-approved motorcycle helmet.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Murphy's Oil soap on TPO roof? or can i used the WASH and Wax above?
A lot of TPO and EDPM manufacturers recommend Murphy's Oil soap as it contains no petroleum distillates or abrasives. Both of which can mar the finish of these types of roofs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:26 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Since your cleats are off the list: you'll need a Snell-approved motorcycle helmet.
My life insurance policy SPECIFICALLY states to have the better half on the ground to catch any "falling objects" from the MH roof...
Old 06-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
A lot of TPO and EDPM manufacturers recommend Murphy's Oil soap as it contains no petroleum distillates or abrasives. Both of which can mar the finish of these types of roofs.
Lt.

Does Thor Motor Coach or the TPO roof Mfg'er recommend Murphy's Oil Soap?

A product in and of it itself that "contains NO petroleum distillates or abrasives" does not necessarily make it the preferred choice.

i.e. Wash n Wax does NOT contain petroleum distillates or abrasives. In fact it contains same chemicals that are commonly found in shampoos. If you want to go high tech; you argue the acidic properties of diethanolamine lauroylamide in Wash N Wax which is technically a hazardous chemicals could be a concern To which case I would recommend for the OP that once he has finished washing and waxing his roof to use a light coat of neutralizing conditioner to give the membrane a nice flexible bounce

At the end of the day, it is the thin layer of wax that I would promote for anyone, if used regularly it will help prevent the permanent or hard to remove stains or black streaks on the surface which is the focus of the OP.

The OP should NOT need to worry himself with buying special products to remove black streaks if he has no streaks. Do you agree?
Old 06-19-2021, 04:38 AM   #27

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I agree... bottom line is follow the manufacturer instructions EXACTLY and you will save much grief. My roof is EPDM, and specifically states washing "occasionally" with mild detergent and water. EPDM/TPO roofs naturally shed, and the result is those ugly dark/black streaks on the MH side walls.

The common sense solution for rigs with those type roofs is frequent (vs occasional) washing of the ENTIRE motorhome - especially the roof. dkoldman's advice of keeping the wax fresh is excellent advice.

Bottom line is maintenance and cleaning is of paramount importance for keeping ahead of problems - which will pile up pretty quickly if not kept up. One thing I'm guilty of is not washing the rig/roof as often as I should.

I'm pretty meticulous about mechanical maintenance and repair/cleaning etc. - but even washing once a month doesn't keep the black streaks from the roof at bay. I only wax once a year, but with a good wax job, it's SO much easier to clean... ordinary budget car wash and warm water makes it shine - no chemicals needed!! Maybe frequent "easy spray-on wax" would be better than no wax at all??
Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
My life insurance policy SPECIFICALLY states to have the better half on the ground to catch any "falling objects" from the MH roof...
If you gave her a pitchfork: she could easily keep you up on the roof. As soon as you remembered that she has it: you would magically regain your footing.
But give her the helmet...
Old 06-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I guess you have a point

https://youtu.be/-oyXaHSGl6c
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Hi will try my existing wash and wax on the roof 1st
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210616-215915_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	31482  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-20-2021, 01:34 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Hi will try my existing wash and wax on the roof 1st
Scuba, you must be a motivational speaker. I like a man that stays at it I told my wife to hide the beer until I finished the Wash & Wax on my roof 30 minutes later; from time of pulling out the hose, and the foamer, to the point of final rinse off; this is what it looks like.

I have two beers in hands as I type

Note: I did notice a water stain streak coming from my bedroom AC, it was rust colored and did not come off fully with the light brush and Wash & Wax solution. However, when I took my finger and rubbed it; it came off; so it is NOT in the surface coat yet. If weather and time permits; I may go with the Mequiars wax tomorrow for the entire roof. If I do go with Mequiars wax tomorrow, it will be the 3rd time in 21 months; so I would be trended at professional wax on my Fiberglass roof every 7 months.

Note#2:
This is not intended to be an endorsement of Wash & Wax over any other option that others may use or promote; rather me just stating what I do, and what my results look like. Other options may be better, but better for me is defined as superior results over Wash & Wax solution that can be applied in 15 min or less.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210619_200125 rotate.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	31489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210619_200154 rotate.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	31490  

Old 06-20-2021, 01:46 AM   #32

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Scuba, you must be a motivational speaker. I like a man that stays at it I told my wife to hide the beer until I finished the Wash & Wax on my roof 30 minutes later; from time of pulling out the hose, and the foamer, to the point of final rinse off; this is what it looks like.

I have two beers in hands as I type

Note: I did notice a water stain streak coming from my bedroom AC, it was rust colored and did not come off fully with the light brush and Wash & Wax solution. However, when I took my finger and rubbed it; it came off; so it is NOT in the surface coat yet. If weather and time permits; I may go with the Mequiars wax tomorrow for the entire roof If I do go with Mequiars wax tomorrow, it will be the 3rd time in 21 months; so I would be trended at professional wax on my Fiberglass roof every 7 months.

Note#2:
This is not intended to be an endorsement of Wash & Wax over any other option that others may use or promote; rather me just stating what I do, and what my results look like. Other options may be better, but better for me is defined as superior results over Wash & Wax solution that can be applied in 15 min or less.
Great i will use my wash and wax and look for

Mequiars wax
Old 06-20-2021, 01:49 AM   #33

THOR #20220
Is this the wax? And price $20 or use a spray wax bottle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210619-194800_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	31491  
Old 06-20-2021, 02:03 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Great i will use my wash and wax and look for

Mequiars wax
Scuba, I don't think or know if you should put the Mequiars wax on your roof ? Remember what JamieGeek said, that your Vegas has a membrane roof. My roof is Fiberglass.

Just stick with the Wash & Wax to see how clean you may get it. Get before and after pictures. This is another reason why I think you are better with the Wash & Wax solution because you may not be able to wax otherwise? I really only use the Mequiars to prevent the chalking, and because I purposely park my RV uncovered under a tree. November and December is when the leaves start to drop; but we try to travel; but if not, I try to schedule appointments with the dealer

Call your Roof Mfg or Thor and ask what they recommend? Tell them you are using Wash & Wax and let them confirm what you are doing, or will do is sound. My money says that as long as you Wash and Wax regularly you will be good as gold and not see the black streaks. It may defy conventional wisdom for most, but I will wash my roof 2 to 1 over the rest of the RV, like today. I only washed the Roof
Old 06-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Is this the wax? And price $20 or use a spray wax bottle
See my post #34

But if a wax is permissible for your membrane roof?, then depending on condition; I would suggest this to ensure surface is clean the 1st time or two.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

But in my case I use Mequiars #56 because my roof has been cleaned and maintained throughout. I also use this same Mequiars #56 wax on the entire RV. I also use the Mequiars #56 on my boat (Yamaha 242 Limited)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #36

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Scuba, I don't think or know if you should put the Mequiars wax on your roof ? Remember what JamieGeek said, that your Vegas has a membrane roof. My roof is Fiberglass.

Just stick with the Wash & Wax to see how clean you may get it. Get before and after pictures. This is another reason why I think you are better with the Wash & Wax solution because you may not be able to wax otherwise? I really only use the Mequiars to prevent the chalking, and because I purposely park my RV uncovered under a tree. November and December is when the leaves start to drop; but we try to travel; but if not, I try to schedule appointments with the dealer

Call your Roof Mfg or Thor and ask what they recommend? Tell them you are using Wash & Wax and let them confirm what you are doing, or will do is sound. My money says that as long as you Wash and Wax regularly you will be good as gold and not see the black streaks. It may defy conventional wisdom for most, but I will wash my roof 2 to 1 over the rest of the RV, like today. I only washed the Roof
Thx will use wash and wax and see how it goes
Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
TPO roofs don't need wax: they just need a good cleaning.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
Alright
Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #39

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Anything to specifically remove black spots / streaks

Quote:

I use 303 on mine after cleaning it because it seems to be especially intended for use on “all rubber and vinyl” surfaces and it is supposed to offer UV protection. It seems to make it less prone to staining from tree droppings as well. And it only takes a few minutes.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860