Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
How do you determine what type roof? Rubber or Fiberglass? I have a roof on my THOR ACE 30.4 that seems to be a thin sheet fiber that can move about. Is this a Fiberglass roof? I have cleaned with a mild soap and would like to reseal around trim. Any suggestions
I have TPO roof..edges peeled a little. Thor said use this and CHECK roof every 3 months

Geocel GC28100 Pro Flex RV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FC98X2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Old 08-11-2021, 10:36 PM   #82

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
No I don't, I use it to take off the black streaks, I just carry two towels and spray and wipe and the motorhome can be done in an hour less if the wife does the bottom. If I could still use my stilts I could do it in a half hour. Now because of the stilts I need two knee replacements
Thx Bill
Old 08-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #83

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Thanks, i have started the roof inspection and cleaning. Everything looks good, roof wraps around side and to attach strip. I will put a bead along that edge. I have started sealing the under carriage as well per the THOR instructions, all edge trim along the bottom needs to be inspected and sealed. Being a new RV, the next owners will appreciate my efforts today to stop corrosion tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:45 AM   #84

THOR #20220
Quote:
Thanks, i have started the roof inspection and cleaning. Everything looks good, roof wraps around side and to attach strip. I will put a bead along that edge. I have started sealing the under carriage as well per the THOR instructions, all edge trim along the bottom needs to be inspected and sealed. Being a new RV, the next owners will appreciate my efforts today to stop corrosion tomorrow.
Where do you seal and what used?

I have started sealing the under carriage as well per the THOR instructions, all edge trim along the bottom needs to be inspected and sealed. Being a new RV, the next owners will appreciate my efforts today to stop corrosion tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:54 AM   #85

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
How do you determine what type roof? Rubber or Fiberglass? I have a roof on my THOR ACE 30.4 that seems to be a thin sheet fiber that can move about. Is this a Fiberglass roof? I have cleaned with a mild soap and would like to reseal around trim. Any suggestions
If it were Fiberglass you would know immediately, I suspect you have the Rubber on your model.

Quote:
You are doing all the right things. I would follow Thor's recommendation on the Roof to the T. I may overclean mine, but point I was making earlier is that with a clean roof, you do not get the black streaks, well not as many anyway. Don't be the guy that neglects the roof put it up for storage for 4 months and never check on it and comes back only to find mold everywhere due to roof leaks Worse, he then blames Thor...
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #86

THOR #22342
Yes, this is a full time job keeping the RV clean running. I cant imagine leaving it for months and then expecting all to work. Owners need to run the engine, generator at least once every 2 weeks, and run it to full temp. For ex. the RV water heater wires are exposed, and water gets in there. soon, all your connections will be corroded and the circuit board will be corroded. All of this looks good in the show room, but practically, all these connectors should have some corrosion control on them similar to what we do on battery terminals.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #87

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
What are folks using to clean/protect skylights, vents and ac cover?
Old 10-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #88

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
303 spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post
What are folks using to clean/protect skylights, vents and ac cover?

We have great success with 303 protectant.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #89

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I previously recommended a product called Totally Awesome... however I would caution using ANY chemical cleaner on gelcoat other than those SPECIFICALLY designed for it. Going through my recent "education experience" with removing oxidation and restoring the gelcoat taught me some valuable lessons.

There are TWO important maintenance items that MUST be done regularly. Otherwise (don't ask how I know ) you'll be fighting gelcoat oxidation with EMBEDDED black streaks.

First, as others have repeated over and over - keep your RV membrane roof (TPO/EPDM) CLEAN. Frequent cleaning with a soft bristle brush and MILD detergent are all that's needed. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

Second, keep the fiberglass gelcoat walls clean AND WAXED. Waxing helps prevent UV induced oxidation and GREATLY eases the cleaning process. I cannot stress this enough... if you DO NOT keep a good coat of wax on the gelcoat, you are fighting a losing battle! Even if you skip washing the roof a few times, the wax seal will make removing black streaks from the gelcoat VERY easy!
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #90

THOR #22342
Thanks for the tip. Yes i am constantly spray waxing the Gelcoat. Each 6 months or so, the RV gets a full wax the old fashioned way, Wax on Wax off. I go to many coastal cities so the salt water attacks the RV.

But the RV is one yr old and looks like it came off the showroom floor.