Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Anything to specifically remove black spots / streaks

Anything to specifically remove black spots / streaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_184511.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	31438  

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:59 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I can't really answer your question directly, but I can tell you what I do to prevent the problem, and / or make it easy to remove when / if it does occur.

Keep the roof clean. I use Wash & Wax solution on my roof every time I wash the roof (3 times / year). There are times I may use the wash and wax solution but NOT wash the entire RV. I will wax the roof with Mequiar's wax at least once a year. I have had my coach 20 months and have waxed the roof twice already.

Of course I use the same Wash and Wax solution on the sides after every trip (bugs) or drive in the rain. I also wax the sides of the RV at least once per year with the same Mequiars. Note: I never try to wax it all at one time, just one side or so when the weather is nice and I just wish to have something to do.

Bugs and black streaks never get a chance to get in my finish, but I do see them, but they easily come off with my next normal wash

Some may question the time I take to wash & wax etc. But I have done the math, I can wash & wax my entire RV in about the same time some can go retrieve a large RV cover and safely get it over the full RV and strapped down so wind can't damage it. My guess is 3 hrs of my time per month max. But if you do not want to wash & wax it yourself, I strongly suggest paying to have it waxed by a professional once per year.

FWIW, I park my RV under a tree
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210410_120756.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	31441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_120905.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	31442  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:31 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A product called LA's Totally Awesome. I found it CHEAP at a local dollar store! Smells like 409 cleaner. I have also GENTLY used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with success. I saw on another forum someone uses dryer sheets!

Anything you use MAY mess up your wax, but I've used LA's many times with no issues.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I can't really answer your question directly, but I can tell you what I do to prevent the problem, and / or make it easy to remove when / if it does occur.

Keep the roof clean. I use Wash & Wax solution on my roof every time I wash the roof (3 times / year). There are times I may use the wash and wax solution but NOT wash the entire RV. I will wax the roof with Mequiar's wax at least once a year. I have had my coach 20 months and have waxed the roof twice already.

Of course I use the same Wash and Wax solution on the sides after every trip (bugs) or drive in the rain. I also wax the sides of the RV at least once per year with the same Mequiars. Note: I never try to wax it all at one time, just one side or so when the weather is nice and I just wish to have something to do.

Bugs and black streaks never get a chance to get in my finish, but I do see them, but they easily come off with my next normal wash

Some may question the time I take to wash & wax etc. But I have done the math, I can wash & wax my entire RV in about the same time some can go retrieve a large RV cover and safely get it over the full RV and strapped down so wind can't damage it. My guess is 3 hrs of my time per month max. But if you do not want to wash & wax it yourself, I strongly suggest paying to have it waxed by a professional once per year.

FWIW, I park my RV under a tree
Your RV has a solid roof. The OP's RV has a membrane roof and thus I think they would find it difficult to wax.

Other than that, however, the advice to wash the roof is valid: A clean roof won't drip dirt and no black streaks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks Jamie!
I was just going to ask: Is it dirt... or mold?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have a TPO roof and I wash it with car wash soap and a soft brush once or twice a year and follow up with an application of 303. Happy with the results.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Your RV has a solid roof. The OP's RV has a membrane roof and thus I think they would find it difficult to wax.

Other than that, however, the advice to wash the roof is valid: A clean roof won't drip dirt and no black streaks.
True dat This is where my being a SOB puts me at a little disadvantage

In this case, it is easier for OP, 30 minutes to use the wash and wax solution on the roof. I normally do when I may be washing one of the other cars. I take regular water hose nozzle and pressure and rinse it off for 5 minutes, then I take my high pressure hose foam sprayer and spray the entire roof with the Wash & Wax solution 5 minutes, I then retire my high pressure hose in favor of a medium bristle brush and regular hose nozzle Jet or Full Action setting, I brush about a 3rd of the roof that is on the down side of the roof slope, rinse it off, do the same in the middle; rinse it off, and then do the last section 20 min. I let it drip dry

For me, or for my fiberglass roof; I use the wax on roof because I know it will get leaf stains in the fall, I just let it stain with no worries. When the last leaf falls, I just do a normal wash & wax and all the leaf remnants & stains are gone I focus on waxing the sides because the use of a RV cover is the greater evil in my mind, we use our RV year around, plus our Mfg does not recommend covers due to concerns with the paint finish. I should also mention that I use the 303 protectant on all of the decals when I can. I try to avoid the wax on the decals; but I find that almost impossible to do.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Fiberglass roof here also...
Old 06-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #9

THOR #20220
Thanks all I have not cleaned the TPO roof yet.
La totally awesome looks a little hard see picture of what it removes..will try wash and wax on the roof and I have 303 for decals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210618-073104_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	31447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210616-215915_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	31448  

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 06-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When you're up on the roof: take off anything sharp or metal (no chances of cutting the TPO), and take off you shoes...
Old 06-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Thanks all I have not cleaned the TPO roof yet.
La totally awesome looks a little hard see picture of what it removes..will try wash and wax on the roof and I have 303 for decals.

I really love the Wash & Wax, started using on the cars as well At first glance it seems like it may be expensive, but you do not need much. It is a very thick gel and you know it works because every time any of my cars get wet it beads up.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
This stuff is like magic on black streaks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	31457  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Lysol Power Foam? Thanks: I'll remember that!
But so far: so good... no black streaks!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1624039757
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1624039757
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0706191153_resized.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	31461   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706191154a_resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	31462  

Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Keeping the roof clean keeps the whole coach cleaner. I wash the roof twice a year with Murphy's Oil soap and I have minimal black streaks after a rain storm. I wash the coach after each trip with a car wash/wax from Wal Mart and what black streaks there are, always come right off.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This stuff is like magic on black streaks.
What process do you use (e.g. how long do you wait)? Is it on/off, or do you let it sit and, if so, for how long? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #16

THOR #20220
Murphy's Oil soap on TPO roof? or can i used the WASH and Wax above?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #17

THOR #20220
is this it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	31463  
Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Murphy's Oil soap says wood only?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #19

THOR #20220
i am reviewing this :

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/300...-roof-cleaners
Old 06-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #20

THOR #20220
here is more detail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	31468