Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Alberta
THOR #829
Air Chuck Extentions

I have purchased a 2013 Challenger 37GT. I a find it a real pain to check the tire pressure on the inside back tires. I am looking for a solid chuck extension that is supported by a large rubber grommet that fits into one of the holes on the wheel. I have gone to two Thor dealers and they have been unable to come up with a solution. The wheels are made for FORD in Taiwan and are used on several other motor homes that have the Ford V10 Chassis. Has anyone been able to order a solution from Thor or FORD? I was in an RV showroom yesterday and the larger Diesel by Thor comes with extensions supported by a grommet. The wheels are different on the diesel so they won't work on the FORD V10. Note the inside chuck looks the same as the chuck on the outside rim. Check out the photos of my rims below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140610_075827.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	82   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140610_075913.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	83  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140610_075958.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	84   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140610_080145.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	85  

Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Have you checked at a large truck stop????
Or a tire store that handles big truck tires
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
This place may have valve stems that will work on your rims. Talk to Bill about what you have. He is the only one there than can help you.

Contact Us
Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

THOR #829
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Have you checked at a large truck stop????
Or a tire store that handles big truck tires
Thanks, yes I have tried a couple of large truck tire stores. They can get me extension but have no excess to the rubber grommets. Kal Tire has offered to remove the outer wheel then bend the chuck on the inside wheel so that it will sit in the proper position. This is would solve my problem but I am still concerned about having an extension on the chuck with out any support. I have been email this company Valve Extenders and Accessories — always shiny wheels and rv to see if they have a solution. They probably have the rubber grommets for my rims but...... I am not sure how they will handle the angle of the inside chucks on my unit.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #829
Found a solution

I have just received a reply back from "Always Shiny Wheels". They have two solutions, I think I am going to go with the kit that includes everything. I will then go to a local truck tire shop and have them installed. The long straight shaft needs to be bent to the correct angle by the installers. You can see the two options that were sent to me by clicking on the following two links.

Dually Valve Stems for 22.5" Aluminum Wheels on a Ford 53 Chassis DL4FO — always shiny wheels and rv

Valve Stem Extension Stabilizers for (Ford 22.5 Aluminum Wheel made in Taiwan) DL175F — always shiny wheels and rv

I live in Canada and when I tried to order on the internet they said they don't ship to Canada. I emailed them back and they said they will take an order over the phone.
This looks to be the best solution I have found and it should work for any brand of motor home with the Ford V10 Chassis and the 22.5" aluminum wheels that are made in Taiwan.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #121
Glad you were able to find a good solution, and thank you for sharing it
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One thing you have to be mindful of is when you rotate the tires, being radials, the inner, outer, and front tire on each side are rotated. If you go with dedicated valve stems rather than extensions, then you may find you can no longer reach your stems when you rotate the tires.

I just use a dually inflator and can reach all of the valve stems. You need the kind that has a straight front and angled rear (as opposed to both front and rear being angled). Buy a good quality one from Milton (will set you back about $40) rather than a cheap one.

Even then, you have to remove the hub caps to get to the valve stems.

Of course, you can always use the extensions. I have seen the flexible ones (the ones with braiding) that have a tab on the front side that is pop-riveted to the center "hub" on the hub cap.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

THOR #829
Rotating tires should leave the chuck on the inside rear wheels

I am confused by the comments about tire rotation. I understand what tire rotation is but there are three different styles of wheels on my RV (most Rv's). Front, Rear outside and Rear inside. If you were to rotate tires properly you would have to take the unit to a tire shop and have them remove the tires from the rims and move them to another location/rim. (unless you were just swapping left to right and right to left). The inside rear wheels would always be inside wheels so the permanent style chuck should always be where you want it. I have researched the flexible style chuck extensions and on the internet there are several comments about them failing. If they fail you have a flat! Recommendations for reliability seems to be solid stainless steel extensions supported by a rubber grommet. I personally do not want to trust my RV to an imported flexible hose that can crack and cause me to loose tire pressure. Two local tire shops tell me that the stainless steel extensions have caused NO issues.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Not sure about class A RVs but Class C RVs use the same rim for all tires (at least mine does). The front and inside dually rims are mounted in the standard fashion, while the outside dually rims are mounted reversed.

I assumed Class A might be the same, but perhaps not.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post

I assumed Class A might be the same, but perhaps not.
I believe you are right on with your assumption.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #11

THOR #829
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.larry@telus.net View Post
I have just received a reply back from "Always Shiny Wheels". They have two solutions, I think I am going to go with the kit that includes everything. I will then go to a local truck tire shop and have them installed. The long straight shaft needs to be bent to the correct angle by the installers. You can see the two options that were sent to me by clicking on the following two links.

Dually Valve Stems for 22.5" Aluminum Wheels on a Ford 53 Chassis DL4FO — always shiny wheels and rv

Valve Stem Extension Stabilizers for (Ford 22.5 Aluminum Wheel made in Taiwan) DL175F — always shiny wheels and rv

I live in Canada and when I tried to order on the internet they said they don't ship to Canada. I emailed them back and they said they will take an order over the phone.
This looks to be the best solution I have found and it should work for any brand of motor home with the Ford V10 Chassis and the 22.5" aluminum wheels that are made in Taiwan.
I have shown the options listed from "Always Shiny Wheels" to my local tire shop and they feel just purchasing the rubber grommets then using a 4" or 6" SOLID stainless steel extension is the way to go. The tire shop will remove the outer wheels, then bend the existing wheel chuck so that it will line up with the hole on the outside wheel. (they say they do this all of the time wit great success). The are going to charge me $20.00 per wheel which is what they would charge for a wheel rotation. The cost of the extensions will be about 10.00 each. I will post photos once I get everything set up.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #121
That is great news, Thank you for sharing
The wonder Schnauzers

Tags
chuck, chuck extention