Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2018, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Windshield seal broke loose in high wind

Hello. We had a situation with our 2016 Hurricane windshield I'd like feedback on.

Somewhere just outside the middle-of-nowhere in Nebraska, the rubber seal around the windshield on the driver's side broke loose in strong crosswinds. When the windshield was replaced, I suspect the installers did a half-a job with the seal. At the upper corners there are two openings where the seal bends at about 90°. The wind got in and eventually pulled the seal loose. Of course, the roll of Gorilla tape I bought specifically for the RV apparently didn't make it, nor did a ladder. I found some old (and weak) duct tape in the Jeep and attempted to seal it up to get to North Platte, NE. A guy in Stapleton, NE let me stand on his pickup's tailgate to reach up high and tape it. We made it to North Platte, and the campground info has an ad for window glass work around the corner! Haven't heard back from the guy, but we went to Menard's and bought a step ladder and three big rolls of Gorilla tape. We taped it up really well with the hope of keeping air from getting in under the tape and ripping it loose.

What really grills me is that when I looked at other RVs in the campground, none have those little bends at the corners of the windshield seal. Hence my suspicion about the work on ours being a bit…"subpar." I don't know if that's just a wind/water seal or if it has to do with keeping the windshield in place. It looks like a rubber strip that just presses into another groove around the windshield. But we don't want to take any chances.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and/or the safety issues we may have.

Thanks.

A frazzled newbie.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
A pic or 3 would help....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
A pic or 3 would help....

Will try later. It was getting dark as we taped it up at the campground.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

THOR #8223
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8025.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	12537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8026.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	12538

One pic shows the upper right corner bend. The left side (other pic) caught the wind and ripped loose. All taped up as shown. Praying it holds.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #12752
Wow best of luck getting it repaired. That must have been a little frightening having your windshield break the seal during high winds.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Thnx for the pic's......Bad install or wrong gasket used...or both
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Bad install or wrong gasket used...or both

My suspicion exactly. Half…baked job I feel. 60 miles and gorilla tape holding strong.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_dude View Post
That must have been a little frightening having your windshield break the seal during high winds.

You bet! I knew it wasn’t a flat because handling was unaffected.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!
That's just too wrong for words!

The best of luck in getting it fixed!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

THOR #8223
It came loose with no warning. I was reminded again of “pucker power.” (Can I say that here?)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did you tear the covering off of the driver's seat cushion?

I wouldn't be surprised if you had!
Old 08-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you tear the covering off of the driver's seat cushion?

I wouldn't be surprised if you had!

No. Again: maximum pucker factor. Once we pulled over and I saw the problem I was seriously angry. [emoji35]
Old 08-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Anger always trumps fear!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Looks like something else I can look forward to. Thank you so much for sharing so we can all check and see if we have the same problem.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #15

THOR #8223
We arrived in Salina, KS. 300+ miles and nothing came loose. Recommendation: carry a big roll of Gorilla tape! [emoji16]
Old 09-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #16

State: Alaska
THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeg View Post
We arrived in Salina, KS. 300+ miles and nothing came loose. Recommendation: carry a big roll of Gorilla tape! [emoji16]
Noted! Along with Teflon and electrical. Getting ready to drive from AK through the Yukon/BC territory. Talk about desolate in Oct.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
In 2017 on our summer tour with grandkids, had a small rock chip that turned into a crack on road trip to Phoenix in April '18. Back home to Ky and prepared for our 2018 summer tour with grands. We had to decide to replace or not replace the windshield. I had heard of these sorts of problems but went ahead with replacement. On the road trip we made it to Illinois before we encountered serious rain. The windshield leaked so badly I actually had to put a bucket to catch the rain water coming in at the same corner that phoeg is pointing out. I used all sorts of stuff to seal the water out. No good. Finally 2 weeks later we were in one place long enough to get the insurance company assigned repair tech out to fix the fix from KY. UUGGHH.

While the tech was repairing the leak, he gave me a lesson in how the windshield mount works. It seems that the rubber gasket doesn't have much to do with sealing or holding the windshield in place. The rubber gasket keeps the weather from getting to the mastic that holds the windshield in place. What a mess - the tech was great. He had to clean all the stuff (gorilla tap, flex seal tape, silicon seal, etc) that I had used to prevent the leak. I wish I would have taken a picture to show how nice that all looked on my very expensive home on wheels. UUGGHH.

Lessons learned - don't replace the windshield unless absolutely necessary AND get the BBIIGG roll of gorilla tape!!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
We had the same thing happen last fall, minus the puckers in the corners. The weather stripping is only glued at the joint on the bottom middle of the windshield.The driver's side came loose and pulled away about halfway up the side of the windshield. It made an awful racket beating up against the side window. Very scary standing at the side of a busy interstate trying to fix it. I finally cut it off about halfway up and used gorilla tape to hold the rest in place. I still need to get the glue residue off of the paint.

Twenty minutes later the passenger side came loose. My wife was able to snag it with her hand and pull it inside enough to close the side window on it. I pulled the rest of it off when we stopped for the day. I still need to reattach it and plan to use a little more adhesive than they did.

The windshield is held in with a very strong urethane adhesive, so if you don't have any water leaks you probably have a good seal.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #19

THOR #8223
BigBen and DNS - Great info! The racket described is what we got. Glad to know that for future reference the seal is just a seal, not to hold in place!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #20

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
The first year we had our Challenger 37GT we had the same thing happen out west. The whole left side of the rubber windshield seal came off and began beating up the side of the coach.

As luck would have it we were about a mile from an exit. Pulled into a large lot across from a farm store, walked across the road and bought a step ladder. Pushed the rubber seal all back in and used duct tape to make sure it stayed. Did a better repair the next month when we returned to SW Florida. Biggest issue was cleaning the residue off the finish where I had used duct tape.

As far as I know my windshield was OEM, but I did buy the coach with about 3,000 miles on it used so I guess it could have been replaced once.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote