Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #21123
Aria 3401 shower faucet replacement

Thank you for your help. I can't find this issue on the forums.
We have a 2020 Thor Aria 3401. Shower has a single control. One minor move of the control and we go from scalding hot to freezing cold.

Apparently others have had the problem. Thor has authorized replacing the single control with dual controls.

Our dealer thinks he may have to take the whole shower out to do that. We are checking with Thor to see if that is necessary.

Has anyone else replaced the shower faucet? And how did you do that??

If they have to take out the shower stall is there a better one on the market we could replace it with?

Thank you!!

Old 07-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do you have a tankless hot water system?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

THOR #21123
Yes, sir.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #4

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
My Tuscany 2015 is quite similar to the ARIA. I had similar problems with
the single handle faucet too. I found improvement by adjusting the screws
near both the hot and cold lines going into the mixing chamber. Get access by removing the face plate from the faucet handle. Yes your dealer may be correct. On the Tuscany I would have to remove the stackable dryer and access the plumbing from the dryer side. Maybe the washer too?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #5

THOR #21123
Thank you! I will offer that option to the dealer.Thank you.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #10196
So I have a 2020 Aria 3901 and had the same issues. We had to access the faucet from the bedroom. Essentially, we had to pry the back of the panel off the bedroom wall along with the trim. Once that was off I was able to swap out the faucets. It wasn't that bad overall and took about 30 minutes.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #7

THOR #21123
Thank you. Will look at the option.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Hi,
I believe you said you had a "thankless" water heater. We have one in our rig as well and had the same problem. What happens is that when the hot is on and you try to adjust the cold to cool it down, the heater probably senses the drop in water pressure and turns off. You raise the temp on the wall and try again and the same thing happens but this time you get scolded when you try to cut the cold and the heater turns on again. Completely thankless situation

So what we do is set the temperature to 112F and just turn on the hot water, no cold. We find the water is at a good temp between 110 and 112 for a shower. When we are done, we put it back to the default 115/120 for everything else.

Wile parked and attached to the water supply, I keep my fresh tank full and turn on the pump. It just improves the pressure in all the fixtures. I turn off the pump when it does not cycle on and off while on city which means there is plenty of pressure in the bib.

Hope this helps.
NG7V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

THOR #21123
Very practical recommendations. Thank you very much.
They are putting in the dual control but I will also do this.
Having pump on even while connected helpful as well.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
I don't know if you resolved the shower fixture issue but I bought a 2018 3401 in September. I experienced the same thing. I easily changed it out by removing the picture in the hallway behind it and carefully measuring and cutting an access hole. You have to be careful not to cut too deep or you might cut the piping. I believe that is why the picture is there. My last RV (5th wheel) had a mirror mounted behind the shower fixture. The hole was already cut. Once the hole is cut it is a 10 minute job to swap out he fixture. I found a two handle fixture and replaced the sink to match. Much better! Good luck.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG7V View Post
Hi,
I believe you said you had a "thankless" water heater. We have one in our rig as well and had the same problem. What happens is that when the hot is on and you try to adjust the cold to cool it down, the heater probably senses the drop in water pressure and turns off. You raise the temp on the wall and try again and the same thing happens but this time you get scolded when you try to cut the cold and the heater turns on again. Completely thankless situation

So what we do is set the temperature to 112F and just turn on the hot water, no cold. We find the water is at a good temp between 110 and 112 for a shower. When we are done, we put it back to the default 115/120 for everything else.

Wile parked and attached to the water supply, I keep my fresh tank full and turn on the pump. It just improves the pressure in all the fixtures. I turn off the pump when it does not cycle on and off while on city which means there is plenty of pressure in the bib.

Hope this helps.
2021 Aria: we do this too. also for doing the dishes.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
UPDATE: 6/20/23
My initial suggestion is a good one. I since decided to look into it a bit more. I discovered that all the faucets except for the kitchen can be taken apart to replace the springs and seats. I found that these faucets use a very standard set of springs and seats available at Home Depot, Lowes and probably Ace as well. I replaced all of them because, when they were initially assembled, the manufacturer did not use plumber's grease to ease their movements so I had premature wear and tear on the seals. I used "lots" of silicone grease on all moving parts when re-assembling the faucets. The shower, in particular became very easy to control the water flow/mix coming out of it and we no longer have to set the temp to 112F. I have included an annual inspection and rebuild of my faucets on a yearly cycle, the shower gets one whenever it stiffens up. I find that the plumber's grease available at big box stores comes in various permeability and viscosity causing some brands to wash out in a month. The last one I bought seems to stick and stay much longer than others. So beware of the quality of silicone you are getting at the store. Spend more to get better.

Tags
aria, replacement shower, shower faucet, thor