Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #6595
Atwood 6 Gallon Water Heater

I have a new 2017 34F Hurricane. I get hot water on propane but no hot water from electric. Circuit breaker is not tripped and by pass valves are in. Correct position. Any suggestions? I

Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Check for voltage at the heating element, if you have voltage then your element is bad. A 2017 should still be under warranty.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd View Post
I have a new 2017 34F Hurricane. I get hot water on propane but no hot water from electric. Circuit breaker is not tripped and by pass valves are in. Correct position. Any suggestions? I
Thor Motor Coach at Middleton Run is notorious for not tightening the 120 volt wires to the relay on the back of the water heater. I suspect you have a loose wire on the relay. That was the problem with my water heater. MHSRV found it under the PDI. Of course it could be the electric if you have operated the element without water in the water heater.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 PM   #4

THOR #6595
Are the heating element connections on the outside or inside of the RV?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The relay and the water heater element are accesses on the rear of the water heater. On the 31S you remove the interior bedroom panel next to the shower or down on the floor directly below the bedroom TV. On the back of the water heater is all the plumbing for the water heater bypass. On the very bottom of the water heater is as small plastic box that contains the relay for the electric element. The 120 volt power runs for the circuit breaker directly to the relay which is energized by 12 volts from the wall switch. The water heater element is just above the relay. You need a water heater socket to unscrew the element (remember to completely drain the water heater before removing the element !). The element is common to most 2.5 or 5 gallon point-of-use home water heaters.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 AM   #6

THOR #6595
Thank you for the information, I will check it out as soon as I get back to the RV next week.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #4322
Have 2016 ACE. Same problem. Took it in. The mechanic said the manufacturer made a loose wire connection and it came apart. It was connected and has worked prefect.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #8

THOR #6595
Thank you for the heater info my problem turned out to be a defective inoperative relay
Old 05-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd View Post
Check out my post / video of the arced wire - it is most definitely the complete failure of Thor to connect the wires - I bet your relay and element are just fine! Welcome to the wonderful world of THOR ownership! Never dull!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dljames View Post
Have 2016 ACE. Same problem. Took it in. The mechanic said the manufacturer made a loose wire connection and it came apart. It was connected and has worked prefect.
Same deal here. Took it to dealer and they said it wasn't wired correctly from factory
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
My Vegas is in the shop with this issue right now..
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 AM   #12

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
I have a 2017 hurricane 29m. I'm on the first outing and have realized that I don't have any hot water. No gas or electric operation. All breakers and fuses are intact. Checked for power at the wall switches and have none. Talked thru tech line and they think it is a bad wire connection somewhere in between fridge and furnace. New coach, first outing, it will be going to repair shop next week.
On another note- it was purchased at camping world. Had a walkthru from an 19 yr old kid. No offense to him but he had no idea what he was talking about.
Tried for 2 days to talk to local CW and they were too busy to even take my call. Receptionist said she couldn't schedule, had to be a service person but they were too busy to come to phone or call back. Called thor. They are letting me take it to another service that is not authorized thor and make it right. So far, hats off to thor customer service. Hope I can still say that thru the repairs.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Same issue

Same problem here on the hot water heater. Where is the water heater on an ACE 29.2?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
Same problem here on the hot water heater. Where is the water heater on an ACE 29.2?
Okay, I didn't realize it backed up to the propane heat door on the outside.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #15

THOR #6595
Does anyone know how to remove the residential refrigerator from a Hurricane coach? Need to replace ice maker line
Old 07-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #16

State: California
THOR #8117
I had a similar problem with my 2014 ACE; no hot water using electric. I tested the heater connection for voltage and it was not getting juice. It turns out the relay was bad. I had to remove the water heater because the relay was in the rear of the heater. The part was relatively inexpensive and easy to put it.

The old one look very corroded around the electrical connections and in general. The RV repair place where I purchased the new relay suggested that sometimes there is a leak and the water eventually corrodes the contacts.

With that in mind, I cleaned the contacts (spade connectors that are fit into the relay) and actually had to replace one due to corrosion. Soldered a new one and cut off the old one. Then, I bought a liquid electrical tape spray and gave the entire connector section of the relay with several coats.

That was over a year ago and I have not had any further problems.

Bob