Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5357
Thor Freedom Elite 29FE - Unknown 2nd black water dump valve

Does anyone know what the primary black tank valve is used for? It is located on the passenger side opposite where the dump outlet is located. There is another set of valves (one black, one gray) on the driver's side. We asked during our PDI and the dealer didn't know why. We were told, leave it open or close it - doesn't matter. Just open it along with the other one when dumping. My reply was there must be some reason Thor installed that extra valve. If anyone could answer this I'd really appreciate it!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've been doing this a LONG time and have never seen or heard of a second black tank valve. Just a big guess, could be to dump if you are parked on wrong side of sewer??? I would absolutely call Thor and ask them! If you do please post their reply, really got me curious.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Mine has a valve on the passengers side, but not a drain. There is the usual valve and drain on the drivers side.

No one has ever explained why there is the valve on the passengers side, near the black tank, but my guess is to help keep the pipe to the drain free of you know what so it doesn't get blocked.

I normally keep both valves closed. When I dump I open the valve at the drain first then the valve at the tank. This gives the fluid coming out some pressure and hopefully clears the pipe. When finished I close the valve at the tank first, let the pipe drain, then close the valve at the drain. This has worked for me for many years.

Hope this helps.

PS. It's probably also a safety thing. This plastic pipe running across the body behind or near the rear wheels may be subject to damage by flying rocks ???
Old 09-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

THOR #5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
Mine has a valve on the passengers side, but not a drain. There is the usual valve and drain on the drivers side.

No one has ever explained why there is the valve on the passengers side, near the black tank, but my guess is to help keep the pipe to the drain free of you know what so it doesn't get blocked.

I normally keep both valves closed. When I dump I open the valve at the drain first then the valve at the tank. This gives the fluid coming out some pressure and hopefully clears the pipe. When finished I close the valve at the tank first, let the pipe drain, then close the valve at the drain. This has worked for me for many years.

Hope this helps.

PS. It's probably also a safety thing. This plastic pipe running across the body behind or near the rear wheels may be subject to damage by flying rocks ???
You are probably right. I just wish the PDI guy at the dealer didn't tell me I could leave that open because now I have black water in that pipe that runs from that valve on the passenger side across to the actual drain valve on the driver's side.

It appears we have similar units. When I was going through the PDI I felt that black pipe that runs across the body under the drivetrain was too close to the ground. Mine was only 5.5" from the ground. How far is yours from the ground? I had them call Thor and they said that is the normal height. I told them no way that could be normal as going over a speed bump might actually tear off the drain pipe. So the dealer agreed to order parts and fix it for me. We will see if that actually happens.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordog View Post
You are probably right. I just wish the PDI guy at the dealer didn't tell me I could leave that open because now I have black water in that pipe that runs from that valve on the passenger side across to the actual drain valve on the driver's side.

It appears we have similar units. When I was going through the PDI I felt that black pipe that runs across the body under the drivetrain was too close to the ground. Mine was only 5.5" from the ground. How far is yours from the ground? I had them call Thor and they said that is the normal height. I told them no way that could be normal as going over a speed bump might actually tear off the drain pipe. So the dealer agreed to order parts and fix it for me. We will see if that actually happens.
I can't tell you how far the pipe is off the ground right now, my rig is at the repairman. The last time I filled the gas tank, the filler pipe leaked and spilled gas on the ground. I'll let you know when I get the rig back.

When I bought my rig, about 10 years ago, I noticed that the black pipe that runs across the rig was right up against the spare tire preventing access to the spare. The dealer repaired that. Just shows that the manufacturer doesn't always do things right.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
That dump valve is there for emergency if the crossover pipe is damaged by off roading and you think that there was enough clearance......BUT.

Anyway that was what the dealer said to me on my walkthrough on my 29h outlaw.

Tom
Old 09-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I have been corrected by my camping friends. It is used during cold weather dry camping. The black tank has a heater but the crossover pipe would still freeze. By closing that valve the pipe will be empty until you get a chance to dump. So much for the dealers explanation!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #8

THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
I have been corrected by my camping friends. It is used during cold weather dry camping. The black tank has a heater but the crossover pipe would still freeze. By closing that valve the pipe will be empty until you get a chance to dump. So much for the dealers explanation!
I have the valve at the black tank but no black tank heater. I don't think this explanation is any good.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

THOR #5357
Quote:
I have the 29FE and I have separate tank heaters switches for both gray and black water. Dealer had no idea why I would need two separate switches.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #10

THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I can't tell you how far the pipe is off the ground right now, my rig is at the repairman. The last time I filled the gas tank, the filler pipe leaked and spilled gas on the ground. I'll let you know when I get the rig back.

When I bought my rig, about 10 years ago, I noticed that the black pipe that runs across the rig was right up against the spare tire preventing access to the spare. The dealer repaired that. Just shows that the manufacturer doesn't always do things right.
I have my rig back and the black drain pipe is about 13" off the ground. It is also about 7' behind the rear wheels.

Hope your problem is solved.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #11

State: Mississippi
THOR #19749
I also found that second valve but no drain, got to open both.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Actually... both explanations make good sense.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The black tank valve on the rear passenger side is there to shut off the black tank from filling the crossover pipe that goes to the dump connection which is on the driver's side. In the event you hit something on the road and crack/break that crossover pipe, your black tank will not leak/drain on the the road/street. You need to keep it closed until ready to dump it.

Paul
Old 02-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #14

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Our Hurricane has that extra black valve too. Original owner (5 yrs) did not even know it was there.
But I leave it closed until needed just for that extra safety factor and it is a pain to have to crawl under to reach it. It will be replaced with a remotes operated one when the present one gives me any trouble.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
... It will be replaced with a remotes operated one when the present one gives me any trouble.
Do you mean like if someone hits it with a hammer?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote