Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
Sounds like a bad circuit board to me. Check to see if you are getting power across it. Thor had a bad batch of circuit boards from China manufactured in Zhongding. (This was on another thread a while back). I had a similar problem and swapped out the board.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #22

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
PS - after looking at the wiring diagram in detail, the fridge, furnace and WH are on the same 12v circuit and fuse. If the fridge and furnace are working then I too vote for a bad WH circuit board.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:06 AM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I found an earlier post that has limited information - https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nel-10450.html

I also found this wiring diagram. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/201...am-212872.html

I suspect the two unlabeled switches under the main control panel are the 120v for the water heater and 12v for the tank heaters.

The big question is are you on shore power or boondocking? If you are on shore power and the 120v to the WH is on then the tank is probably at temp and the propane would not come on even with the switch to on.

If you are boondocking, turn on the genset and wait 15 minutes to see if you have hot water. That will at least tell you the AC side of the WH is good.

If neither are the case then you need to troubleshoot 12v as others have suggested.

Since your WH is in the way back of the coach it may take 30 seconds or so for hot water to come out your kitchen faucet. Keep that in mind.
The OP does not have an electric heating element in his water heater. His problem is it is not operating on propane.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #24

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The OP does not have an electric heating element in his water heater. His problem is it is not operating on propane.

Well, they know their coach but neither the product spec or the wiring diagram show a propane only WH.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:22 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Well, they know their coach but neither the product spec or the wiring diagram show a propane only WH.
Look at the photo of his control panel. There is only one switch for the water heater, and it's for propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control panel.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	28574  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #26

State: California
THOR #21980
Quote:
I found an earlier post that has limited information - https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nel-10450.html

I also found this wiring diagram. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/201...am-212872.html

I suspect the two unlabeled switches under the main control panel are the 120v for the water heater and 12v for the tank heaters.

The big question is are you on shore power or boondocking? If you are on shore power and the 120v to the WH is on then the tank is probably at temp and the propane would not come on even with the switch to on.

If you are boondocking, turn on the genset and wait 15 minutes to see if you have hot water. That will at least tell you the AC side of the WH is good.

If neither are the case then you need to troubleshoot 12v as others have suggested.

Since your WH is in the way back of the coach it may take 30 seconds or so for hot water to come out your kitchen faucet. Keep that in mind.

Thank you sir.

I was boondocking when it occurred. In the desert and a wind storm hit. Would you suggest taking a compressor and blowing out the system in case some sand or dust blew in there?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #27

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
I posted a link to the brochure where it states the OPs unit has a gas/electric WH and in post #18 the OP states I saw a breaker and it was labeled for micro (I’m assuming microwave) and water hrt. So I too would believe they have 'lectric....

Now, the OP said they would get back to us with the model number... and they still do have a problem with the gas operation that needs confirmation of 12VDC to the heater control...
Old 02-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #28

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCampFarm View Post
Thank you sir.

I was boondocking when it occurred. In the desert and a wind storm hit. Would you suggest taking a compressor and blowing out the system in case some sand or dust blew in there?
Depending on your model (which we do not know) it maybe is a 5 second task to open the cover (outside) and you will see if any sand/dust accumulated... Oh, and gather the model number while there.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #29

State: California
THOR #21980
Hi everyone! First I wanted to say thank you to each one of you for your willingness to help. It seriously means so much. Thank you to the gentlemen who provided the troubleshooting sheet through the PDF file!

I fixed the problem! I wanted to share on here in case anyone runs into the same issues. Long story short my switch in the coach wasn’t activating the water heater. No gas, no spark.

I took my volt meter and pulled the thermal cut off and did a continuity test. That was it! The thermal cut off detected heat cause from the wind storm we were in and it did it’s job. Cut power to everything for safety.

I purchased a new thermal cut off (cause once they “do their job” they are now bad and need replacement) .

I installed the new thermal cut off and BOOM, hot water. Thank you again everyone