Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Florida
THOR #9705
Auto Generator Start wiring

Hello all.

I have a 2017 Hurricane 34F - has the Onan 5500 generator.

I'm not certain that my AGS has ever worked, hadn't needed it until last fall and it did not start nor is the status light glowing, the test button has no effect.

Recently had a mobile tech fix another item and he suggested it was the AGS module. Magnum Energy ME-AGS-S Auto Generator Start

It's a plug in module so I ordered a new one but no difference. Now I'm wondering if the wiring is incorrect. The plug has 8 spots, there are 6 wires and 3 of the 6 have power.

Would anyone have same/similar set up and can show me your connections if your AGS is working correctly.

Thanks for any help

Old 02-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
Smile Auto Generator Start System

Good morning.

I am so glad you posted this question. I have the same problem, and like you, I am not sure my system ever worked. I called Thor and asked where the control module was. The answer was no clear, but essentially the tech told me it was likely in one of the compartments down under.... It was.

I found a control module in the same compartment as the inverter. On my Hurricane 34J 2017, it was mounted inside the compartment to the roof of the compartment and to read it, you have lay upside down and slide your head first into the compartment. Yup, it's upside down and backwards.

There are settings on it that you adjust with a screwdriver. One of those settings in to tell the system how low to let the temperature get or the battery power get before it starts the generator. I lowered mine because my battery was getting so low that when the system detected the low battery, there was not enough battery left to start the generator. But sadly, it still didn't work.

It's cold outside today (about 33) and raining, so I will not fool with it today, but I am going to try it again. I did find that my test system works. So when the battery is at a normal level and I hold down the test button as you enter the door, it does start the generator, runs for a minute or so, and then turns off. But the settings on that module down under have to be right or the system just does not work as designed.

So, there is my two cents worth. I feel your pain and I have the same pain. Look for your control module in the storage bay under the coach. Slide in head first and looking up. Have a screwdriver with you and a flashlight. Try and adjustment or two. You can always change them back. Recommend you take a photo with your phone before you adjust so you can set them back to the current setting if needed. Then wait for the cold to see if you system comes on.

If there is anyone with better ideas, please post them. This is an expensive feature that should work and when the temperature drops really low or the battery is almost dead, it would be nice if it worked. We don't have pets, so the real intended use of this systems is probably lost on us. But still, it should work and some day we may travel with our cat and really want the generator to come on and kick on the AC when it's super hot outside.

Dave Merritt
Chester, VA
2017 Thor Hurricane 37J Bunkhouse (we love it)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

THOR #9705
Thanks, however I get no power to my module nor remote. If at your convenience you could send me a picture of your wires running into your module that would be most appreciated.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #4

THOR #9705
As a follow up...I spoke to someone different at Thor than when I had the issue in October 2020 and found that trailing off the back of the house battery is a 5amp inline fuse which had blown.

Now it works fine... It's nice to know these things exist and where they are.