Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Delaware
THOR #22754
Auto Levelers will not turn on

I just bought a 2012 Thor Challenger 37KT, 1st trip auto levelers work fine when put down. I could not get them to auto retract because the control panel would not turn on. While holding my foot on brake, I release the parking break and the jacks retracted. I still can’t get the control panel to turn on. When I start the coach the forward rear left and right along with the green level light to flash but will not turn on once the on/off button is depressed. Any help appreciated

Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Don't know about the challenger however different coaches require different scenarios

Mine requires parking brake set, engine running to power up the control panel
Old 03-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMancini View Post
I just bought a 2012 Thor Challenger 37KT, 1st trip auto levelers work fine when put down. I could not get them to auto retract because the control panel would not turn on. While holding my foot on brake, I release the parking break and the jacks retracted. I still can’t get the control panel to turn on. When I start the coach the forward rear left and right along with the green level light to flash but will not turn on once the on/off button is depressed. Any help appreciated
If the chassis battery is low this can happen. The controller requires 13.8 volts continually to operate. It is also fused/
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #4

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Did you have the engine running? My 2018 Miramar (admittedly much newer and not a Challenger, but seems to be a close sibling) needs the engine running to supply enough constant power to level, although the panel does turn on just fine when the engine isn't running.

You may want to read through the manual and see what it says about levelling and whether the engine needs to be running.

If that doesn't work, my next step would be pulling the panel off and using my multimeter to see if there's any voltage at the panel, then tracking down which fuse is blown or wire is disconnected if not.

If you don't have the manual(s), I know that Thor has started putting them online in the past few years if you register as an owner on their site (you'll need the VIN). I'm not sure if that extends to the earlier models or not, but it may be worth a shot.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
^^^What he said. Most coaches require the engine to be running so the alternator can boost the house batteries to the minimum amount of voltage required to power the levelers.

Depending on the model you have, the control panel may not power on unless the key is at least in the "Run" position.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #6

State: Delaware
THOR #22754
Thanks everyone for chiming in...I know parking brake must be set and engine running. After checking the inline fuse back by the solenoid(which was good) I looked under dash and found another panel. Nothing was blown but found some either fuses or relays that weren’t secured in their slots. Straighten that out...and presto all is good. Probably kicked them when sitting in drivers seat. Why they don’t put a cover over that panel is beyond me. But Thank You all for the help
Old 03-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMancini View Post
Thanks everyone for chiming in...I know parking brake must be set and engine running. After checking the inline fuse back by the solenoid(which was good) I looked under dash and found another panel. Nothing was blown but found some either fuses or relays that weren’t secured in their slots. Straighten that out...and presto all is good. Probably kicked them when sitting in drivers seat. Why they don’t put a cover over that panel is beyond me. But Thank You all for the help
That panel down by the driver's left foot has all the fuses and interlock relays for everything Plant 850 installed in the front cap except the radio and power ports. The entire panel is powered by the chassis battery through a 100 amp circuit breaker located near the chassis battery..
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
@TMancini: Great news! I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of it.

When we took delivery of ours, the relay which controlled the trailer lights was kicked/damaged by someone at some point prior to that. Fortunately, the dealer was getting us set up for towing and troubleshot the issue on the spot. I agree about the cover being needed, especially considering it's so close to your left foot.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #9

Model: 2021 ACE 30.4 w/V-8
THOR #18934
Speaking of Levelers, how much ground clearance do yall have below the leveling pads when retracted?
Thanks very much. EddieA
New Owner of a 2021 ACE 30.4