Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7842
door latch

Are there issues with the entry door latch assy? I was having my coach worked on and they could not get into the door, After some discussion we had a worker crawl into the coach and disassemble the latch and found the throw and found it broken in half. boy oh boy. if there was a fire or an elderly person got locked in. Is this an issue with these latches? Any recommendations or a better solutions on a upgrade or better fix?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Yes, that has been reported on the forum. You can search for it. If under warranty Thor should cover it, if not the search will provide you with replacement model number.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora1967 View Post
Are there issues with the entry door latch assy? I was having my coach worked on and they could not get into the door, After some discussion we had a worker crawl into the coach and disassemble the latch and found the throw and found it broken in half. boy oh boy. if there was a fire or an elderly person got locked in. Is this an issue with these latches? Any recommendations or a better solutions on a upgrade or better fix?
Glendora, I leave a window unlocked in our MH for this reason. When we first got our 27k the door was hard to close and open. In was able to adjust it so it opens and closes easily. I was worried about damaging the lock set with all the pulling and slamming it took to open or close the door. Is the door on your 27K hard to close or open?

In the other thread about this problem there is a Federal Agency that anyone with a broken latch is asked to notify as this may turn out to be a recall.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #4

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
This is a recent thread on the subject.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html
Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora1967 View Post
Hi Glendora,

To help others know which locks are failing. Can you tell us which of these your lock looks like:

Let's call this number 1:

Let's call this one number 2:

Old 10-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
Number One

We have number 1 latch in the previous post installed in our 2017 quantum. We have experienced issues getting stuck inside when nothing was locked. The door is also inconsistent in fully closing and has popped opened unexpectdly. We have a warranty claim in progress. We hope they can recreate the problem and can make necessary adjustments or replacement. Will know in a few weeks
Old 05-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31Z
State: Michigan
THOR #11598
Have the same number 1 latch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post
We have number 1 latch in the previous post installed in our 2017 quantum. We have experienced issues getting stuck inside when nothing was locked. The door is also inconsistent in fully closing and has popped opened unexpectdly. We have a warranty claim in progress. We hope they can recreate the problem and can make necessary adjustments or replacement. Will know in a few weeks

We also have had the RV in service for this issue for the past year. Warranty is just about up and the best we can get is to “slam” the door hard because it is a two stage lock. Not happy.
‘17 Hurricane 31Z
Old 05-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
The door on our ‘15 Hurricane is improperly hung. The gap at the latch is about 3/16” wider than at the top and bottom. As a result, the night latch only engages at the tip and usually is only catching on the outer level of the strike plate after traveling. We always travel with the deadbolt locked, so the door hasn’t popped open on the road yet.

I took a bunch of screws out of the door frame to see if I could move it over, but it seems to be glued as well as screwed. So, I decided to leave it alone for now.

If anybody has had this same problem fixed, I would sure like to know who did it and how.