Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FE24
State: Arizona
THOR #24276
Automatic Step Quit Working

Auto step on our 2019 Thor 24FE quit working. Does not appear to be a fuse or cb problem and no obvious electrical issues (wires, switches, etc).
Has anyone else had problems like this? What was the fix?

Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleeperkins@gmail.com View Post
Auto step on our 2019 Thor 24FE quit working. Does not appear to be a fuse or cb problem and no obvious electrical issues (wires, switches, etc).
Has anyone else had problems like this? What was the fix?
It is easy to jam the motor's worm into the plastic drive gear. There are no limit switches, so the motor stalls when the steps lock into open or closed positions. You can disassemble the motor from the gear and free the worm, but I have found that only works for a couple months then the motor jams again. The permanent fix seems to buy a new motor and gear assembly. Be careful as there several motors available for different model Kwikee steps. The transmission seems to be very rugged so I would not plan on replacing it. Makes sure you lubricate the steps every month or every time you drive in the rain. I personally believe that stepping on a moving step or a lack of lubrication causes most motor failures.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Check and see if you have power to the step motor. If the light goes on. You probably have power going to the system. Check the magnet in the door, that’s getting contact. Possibly step motor. Sell on Amazon.
Make sure all moving parts on the steps Have been oiled. Make sure your ground wire is getting good contact.

Good luck keep us posted.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #4

Model: FE24
State: Arizona
THOR #24276
Thanks all !

Thanks for all the tips. Waiting for the temps in AZ to get below 100F before crawling around in the gravel under the rig.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with Beau388. I took my Miramar in for an oil change. When I picked it up the steps didn't work. The motors are not designed to operate with 250lbs of weight on them. The mechanic didn't wait until they were open and locked into position before entering the motorhome.

It's an easy cheap fix if you do it yourself, but since it was still under extended warranty I had the dealer replace the entire assembly.

Incase you're wondering... No the oil change dealer accepted no responsibility... I don't use them any more.