Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 04:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
Awning not getting power

So I have searched for answers to my awning issues for over a week now. I am hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of my awning issue. I have a2015 Thor four winds 31e motorhome with rapid camp.

During my last camping trip I went to extend my awning and it blew the fuse under the bed. I replaced the fuse and started to extend the awning again and it blew a second time. After replacing the fuse a third time I went to extend the awning and got no power. The fuse under the bed in the fuse panel is not blown. However I still get no power to my awning or to the switch.

I am assuming that there is another fuse that is blown. Could this have something to do with the rapid camp feature. I have tried to contact Thor to get a wiring diagram so that I could troubleshoot the problem. I have been on able to get the diagram so I am blindly looking for the issue.

I have had issues with the awning blowing fuses before but this is the first time I have completely lost power with a good fuse in the breaker panel. Any help is appreciated

Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I can’t speak for your particular coach but my 2015 Chateau has a fuse behind the switch near the door. Try there.. good luck
Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #9030
Hi junior30, If you have blown two fuses, you likely have a short in the wiring. I would check the wiring where it comes out of the coach up to the awning motor, that is where you would get movement and possible pinching of the wires. Also, just looking at a fuse to determine if its good or bad does not always work, you need to check the continuity with a volt/ohm meter. The fuse might look good but still be blown. However, until you identify and fix the short this problem will likely continue to happen.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

THOR #3298
Thanks for the tips. I did check behind the switch and did not see anything. I will also check the wiring.

I know the fuse is good because the fuse panel has a small red light that is lit when the fuse is blown or not in place. I may have to retrace the wires back because I am not getting power to the switch now and there could be a short, like you said.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I did check behind the switch and did not see anything. I will also check the wiring.

I know the fuse is good because the fuse panel has a small red light that is lit when the fuse is blown or not in place. I may have to retrace the wires back because I am not getting power to the switch now and there could be a short, like you said.
Don't count on the small red light to indicate a blown fuse. After a lot of work trying to fix a bed lift when I had a gladiator toy hauler, it turned out it was the fuse AND the indicator light.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:31 AM   #6

THOR #3298
So I am still dealing with awning issues. I found a fuse under the bed in what I guess is the rapid camp panel. By changing that fuse I was able to get the awning to work with my rapid camp remote. My wall switch still does not work. I am going to say I must have a short somewhere. So now I will hav to try to trace the wires.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Bummer... wiring issues can be real pita!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sounds corny but check and make sure you didn't wind it in "backwards" over itself last time. I've done this and when you push extend, it tries to retract...and vice versa. Try hitting the retract button. Bet it goes out!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #9

THOR #3298
Problem solved! I wanted to update this thread in case others are having the same issue.

My issues was a water leak and short. I had noticed a water leak in a compartment under the area where the wires are for my awning and lights. While testing I also noted the the awning would blow a fuse at just about the same location every time I rolled it out.

After removing the cover for the wires I noted that the wires had no drip loop and the sealant around them was slightly open. I pulled the wires and there is connector attaching the wires. The connected was loose and had been getting wet.

After reworking the wires, replacing the connector and resealing the hole my issue was resolved. Thanks for all the previous comments and help.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #10

THOR #3298
Also just to note there are 2 fuses going to the awning. One in the typical location and a second one inside the electrical compartment. I think it is related to the rapid camp. They would pretty much alternate blowing when the issue was present.

Thanks again to all.