Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Awning

We have a Thor chateau 31 ft. Our awning rolls out just fine, but to roll it back in requires two of us, with one of us on a ladder helping it along. Has anyone had this problem? I'm not sure if it's a low power problem, or some other quirk. We have a 2015 Thor, with the awning working fine the first year. After that....not so. We are still fighting the windows rattling like they are going to shatter. Still not sure how to deal with that problem, except to tape them closed. Still looking for some type of fix other than tape. Thanks for any ideas. I love all the information I find on this web site.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you know who the manufacturer is I would give them a call, explain your problem in detail, and get their advice. They would be the one with the best information.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:12 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
My 2017 Freedom Elite has the same problem. It extends nicely but retracts very slowly and sometimes not at all unless it's on shore power or the generator. It's still slow but at least it makes it in. It's a long awning (18 ft) and I've wondered if that might be a factor. I'd try lubricating it but I don't see where or how. It's s Solera awning and I guess calling them is the next step. But I haven't done it yet. It's painful watching it struggle to retract!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
I had good results lubricating the shafts of the spring cylinders that push it out. Used a product called "Super Slick Stuff" but silicone spray should work.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
have a 2016 31L Chateau and have not had any issues with the awning or the windows rattling. If you find a solution to these problems let us know. Just in case I start having the same problem.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Went camping last week and had real trouble getting the awning in. It finally made it on the third try with the generator running. Wouldn't budge on just the battery even though it was showing a full charge. So I took SuperD's advice and called Lippert. I spoke with a terrific chap by the name of Daniel who quickly suggested the motor was likely the problem. He (understandably) wouldn't say that this was a common problem but offered a "good will" replacement motor. He gave me a choice between having a dealer do the replacement or doing it myself. By doing it myself, however, the remaining warranty on the motor will be void. The rest of the awning will still be covered for the remaining couple of months on the original year of warranty. Figured I might as well do it instead of hassling with the dealer. Incidentally he explained that the reason it goes out easily and comes in hard is that the gas supporting struts are "helping" on the outbound trip and resisting on the inward one. I'll report back on how successful the replacement is when I make the switch. For now I'm very pleased with Lippert's customer support.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Went camping last week and had real trouble getting the awning in. It finally made it on the third try with the generator running. Wouldn't budge on just the battery even though it was showing a full charge. So I took SuperD's advice and called Lippert. I spoke with a terrific chap by the name of Daniel who quickly suggested the motor was likely the problem. He (understandably) wouldn't say that this was a common problem but offered a "good will" replacement motor. He gave me a choice between having a dealer do the replacement or doing it myself. By doing it myself, however, the remaining warranty on the motor will be void. The rest of the awning will still be covered for the remaining couple of months on the original year of warranty. Figured I might as well do it instead of hassling with the dealer. Incidentally he explained that the reason it goes out easily and comes in hard is that the gas supporting struts are "helping" on the outbound trip and resisting on the inward one. I'll report back on how successful the replacement is when I make the switch. For now I'm very pleased with Lippert's customer support.

Sounds like that worked out well, never hurts to call the manufacturer they're usually very nice.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Also make sure to keep some lubricant on all the moving parts of the awning. Lots of places to stick.