Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 01:19 AM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! My personal "wind sensor" always has me retracting the awning; before Carefree's does...

Old 07-16-2021, 02:42 AM   #22

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
D,
There's no harm in retracting it during a gusty moment. If anything: it will provide less area to catch the wind.
Just saying what I saw, but of course I will always believe you over my lying eyes...

[Staement from D Koldman Lying Eyes: ] The Awning was out, I saw and felt a steady gust of wind against my pupil. I watch owner go hit the momentary switch and it starts to retract, the wind caught it and it lifted straight up, just like a sail on a boat. I was sure the frame was going to snap; but owner quickly reverse switch and it starting to straighten and tighten up. When fully out, I could still see the wind ruffling the awning, but owner was NOT about to try again. Contrary to conventional wisdom, owner waited until the wind calmed down and brought it back in.

Well that is what my lying eyes saw anyway

I guess if no one can share a negative experience with their auto retract; I guess it could have made it, but I don't think so. For sure I will not buy Auto Retract to add on. I don't leave out at night, or when not around anyway. We only use it when outside or trying to block sun to help keep it cool.

btw, I would agree that retracting may be less area to catch, but retraction also breaks the structural integrity of the extended frame, and when being brought end there is a lift as it is angular going toward the top of the RV almost 12 feet high from a previous position that may have been 8 ft. Add the fact that despite it being retracted there was still 40sf or so of awning that is plenty for wind to get under and lift it up.

I would not be surprised that if you read the Carefree fine print somewhere it will tell you to retract the awning BEFORE any wind gust and not during those same winds. Make the sensor too sensitive and a breeze may retract it? I bet some owners struggle with that too?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #23

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Mine has an auto retract with adjustable sensitivity. Even with that feature I rarely leave the awning extended unless I’m actually sitting under it.
One thing I like about Thor's Windsport / Hurricanes was the Firefly and the remote controls. I thought it was kind of cool to be sitting outside with a remote or phone and bring awning in or out and play with the lights. I think they had auto retract too? I don't remember. I think I still have that Firefly app on my phone to control a couple of coaches
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote