Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Coach flooded Batteries

How often do I need to check the water level on my coach batteries. I have four six volt batteries 12 volt system.

I keep the coach and chassis batteries charged by a solar panel.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2022, 08:18 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
If you stay plugged into power or have a charger on them check them monthly, better safe than have to replace a good battery because the acid boiled out from over charging
Old 06-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Assuming you have lead acid batteries where the lead is alloyed with antimony, they will outgas during charging. This means they are loosing water. Most of the out gassing occurs during the second charging stage known as the absorptive stage. This is the stage where free hydrogen ions are reabsorbed into the sulfuric acid. If the acid is hot or more voltage is applied than needed the out gassing can increase. In other words the battery will loose more water the hotter the battery is during charging. The best converters have provisions for monitor batteries' temperatures and adjusting the charging voltages accordingly. In the cheaper chargers, the voltage is control by the temperature of the converter, set on the converters control panel or fixed.
On my golf cart, which uses deep cycle, flooded, 6 volt batteries and is charged by a two stage charger (no float), I check the batteries every two weeks in the summer (it is 103 F outside today) and about every 6 weeks during the winter
My RV has three 12 volt marine flooded batteries that use lead alloyed with calcium just as AGM batteries do. They do not need watering in normal use, so I only check the water level each fall when I change the engine and generator's oil and filters.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The 4 OEM batteries on the Tuscany required water monthly.

Usage patterns makes a difference as we drew heavy loads when using the Inverter to make coffee and run the microwave when boondocking or stopping for lunch.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Assuming you have lead acid batteries where the lead is alloyed with antimony, they will outgas during charging. This means they are loosing water. Most of the out gassing occurs during the second charging stage known as the absorptive stage. This is the stage where free hydrogen ions are reabsorbed into the sulfuric acid. If the acid is hot or more voltage is applied than needed the out gassing can increase. In other words the battery will loose more water the hotter the battery is during charging. The best converters have provisions for monitor batteries' temperatures and adjusting the charging voltages accordingly. In the cheaper chargers, the voltage is control by the temperature of the converter, set on the converters control panel or fixed.
On my golf cart, which uses deep cycle, flooded, 6 volt batteries and is charged by a two stage charger (no float), I check the batteries every two weeks in the summer (it is 103 F outside today) and about every 6 weeks during the winter
My RV has three 12 volt marine flooded batteries that use lead alloyed with calcium just as AGM batteries do. They do not need watering in normal use, so I only check the water level each fall when I change the engine and generator's oil and filters.

You took the words right out of my mouth...I was just fixin' to say the same thing!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote