Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Glad you are safe, anything can happen on that highway as others look, slow down, or stop. We witnessed a rear end collision right next to us where a little girl in a rear w/child seat was killed as a driver behind was not paying attention to the road in front of him. I bought a Dash Cam thereafter.

Not sure I would file a claim with my insurance, you just got the RV, they may cancel you and for sure come renewal time the price may skyrocket. It may be cheaper to fix yourself?

I am pretty sure this was one of the things about the TMC 2019 27Bs that I didn't like? If I recall; if you just touch that button it would extend all the way out and vice versa Not sure about the other Thor coaches? My current coach has momentary switch; so you must hold continuously to extend or retract. It forces me to put at least one of my beers down and watch the entire thing

As a practical matter, unless it was night time and awning lights were off; I would think it almost impossible for me to drive off with awning out? You just can't miss seeing it through the entry door and the large dinette window.

Our switches are by entry steps as well and I know we have accidentally hit before, but the damage is usually the awning light is on and we may not know until next time I see at LED light inside when dark.

I appreciate the sharing of the horror story. Guess what I will be checking tomorrow? I don't know if I have a interlock or not? I will test the key in the ignition, and with engine running to see if awning will extend when button is pressed?

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My awning is same as above. I’ve got to hold the switch down until either fully deployed. Or fully retracted. I know it will not open with engine running. If left deployed the engine won’t start. I found that out also. While in the driveway.

However, after reading other posts on this forum, if the OP had the wind/motion sensor, then you touch the button and it deploys or retracts without having to hold the button. My wonder is, will it finish retracting if you can start the engine before it is docked.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. I just have to touch my awning switch once and let it go to deploy or retract it. I do not have to hold it down.

Paul
Old 07-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck with your repairs.
If it's any consolations: you are surely NOT the first person to experience this...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #25

THOR #13058
I have a 2019 Winnebago Sunstar 2VE; but for the record...

If Key is in Accessory position, or if engine is running, my Awning will not extend.

If Awning is already extended and If Key is in Accessory position, or if engine is running it will retract. But if you stop holding switch while it is retracting it will not extend back out. So you can only bring it in when the Key is in Accessory position, or if engine is running.

For the record #2; if my Awning is out; it is impossible to not see it, maybe it is too big or sloped to low to the ground? I will try again at night where everything is dark around me to see if I can see, but I can't imaging having Awning out at night without the Awning lights being on. If I thought to turn off the awning light, I would certainly bring in awning too.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The OP has a Carefree of Colorado, Latitude legless patio awning installed by Thor MC plant 750. The way plant 750 wires the awning is so power is continually on the control module any time there is 12 volt power at the power center. If EXTEND is commanded by the spring loaded, rocker switch the the awning will totally unfurl, then roll back to correctly position the LEDs in the roller so the ground under the awning is illuminated. If IN is commanded by the rocker switch the awning will completely retract and the motor lock the awning in place. It is recommended the rocker switch not be held in position while the awning is moving. If the awning is moving and if the rocker switch is rocked into any position, the awning will stop where it is until a direction is commanded or the movement sensor is triggered. Awning movement can be commanded by the rocker switch on the entrance wall or by the Rapid Camp remote.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. I just have to touch my awning switch once and let it go to deploy or retract it. I do not have to hold it down.

Paul
What happens if you start your engine before it is fully retracted?
Old 07-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
What happens if you start your engine before it is fully retracted?
"Do not pass "Go", and do not collect $200."
Old 07-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
........or by the Rapid Camp remote.
I don't know how many times I've set off my car's alarm from the remote when I sat down to drive and the keyfob was in the wrong place!

Maybe he hit the keyfob?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:00 AM   #30

THOR #23952
we must have hit it climbing back into the coach. generator was on for the AC. Didn't hear anything .
Got into the driver seat, started engine and drove off. No warning indicators to tell me anything was wrong. Saw nothing in mirrors until I hit the sign and it dropped down.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How is the side of your rig looking?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #32

State: Florida
THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
That was very thoughtful of you leaving it along side the highway!!!
Are you expecting it to take root & grow a replacement for you or just a gift for the highway crew that will have to pick YOUR trash?
It's one thing for something to blow out or off unknowingly while traveling, but something else entirely when you intentionally toss crap along side the highway cause you're too lazy to pick it up!!!!!!!!
Brutal...

I would have left it as well, since my 25.2 doesn't have a ladder (for roof mount) and would have left a message for the the proper authorities.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybait1 View Post
we must have hit it climbing back into the coach. generator was on for the AC. Didn't hear anything .
Got into the driver seat, started engine and drove off. No warning indicators to tell me anything was wrong. Saw nothing in mirrors until I hit the sign and it dropped down.
I was all behind you 100% until you went and blamed it on the generator. Don't Onan get enough grief Do you have a pet or something that could have hit it by mistake? IMO the real issue is the instant button/switch that extends all the way out. Whats the benefit? How many times would one have to extend and retract for that 20sec cycle to pay for itself? Just another failure point on the complexities of a RV if you ask me.

My suggestions

1. See if you can find a flip switch cover so it cannot be hit accidentally
2. Add to your routine to look for awning before every trip. I have about 5 things I check before putting in gear. The Awning is not one. As I said, it is impossible for me to not see my awning when extended and impossible for me to have your scenario because some one would have to be holding the switch before I put key in and there is just no way for me not see.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #34

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Before leaving I always do a complete walk around the exterior of the motor home to be sure everything is put away, unplugged and retracted. Only takes an extra minute or two.

Paul
Old 07-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #35

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
What he said.👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Before leaving I always do a complete walk around the exterior of the motor home to be sure everything is put away, unplugged and retracted. Only takes an extra minute or two.

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
What he said.👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻
If I follow OP's issue, he might have done all of the above, however as he went into the coach he somehow accidentally touched that button / switch that is programmed to take the awning all the way out. IMO a poor design; or maybe even a worst location for the switch?

If my coach was designed like that, it would be on my short list of few things to check just seconds before putting RV in Drive. Someone mentioned a remote, that is also a factor as it may have been butt hit or something? I like the Firefly phone app, but if I had a dedicated awning remote, I would consider removing the batteries; after all it is only a one touch switch anyway?
Old 07-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #37

THOR #6411
It all depends on how "Anal Retentive" you might be. I use a little laminated checklist which is attached by a snap ring to my fire extinguisher. When I first wrote it, I assumed it would not be raining (revision#1). Leaned how the awning and slides work or don't (revision#2). I replaced the first inverter with a larger one that is programmable and is always on when the is 120 volt power on the coach (revision #3). Rewired and converted the coach to 50 amps with second A/C (revision #4). Added a water pressure regulator, filter and water softener (revision #5). Too many years using a checklist when flying around the world for 30 years to give that habit up now.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #38

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I do a last walk around after DW is seated and get in the cab door (class C). Check all storage doors, caps, etc.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #39

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
My Cafefree awning does not retract all the way at the aft end. Is there any way to adjust it? I think it happened when a gust of wind hit it and it automatically retracted.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #40

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
My Cafefree awning does not retract all the way at the aft end. Is there any way to adjust it? I think it happened when a gust of wind hit it and it automatically retracted.
If it is a legless model the arms must be approximately level for the patio awning to roll up correctly. The edges of the awning are held in place by as single small screw. Check to see the the awning is centered on the coach rail and the roller.
ADJUSTING THE ARM POSITION
For the awning to operate and close correctly, the arms must be parallel to the roller tube. If the arm sags,
the arm position can be adjusted to bring the arm parallel.
1. Open the awning 2"-3" to access the
adjustment screws located on the side of
the arm knuckle at the wall.
2. Loosen the upper screw (counterclockwise).
3. Tighten (clockwise) the lower screw to
raise the arm elbow.
NOTE: Make adjustments in quarter turn increments.
Tip: Lift the arm at the elbow while tightening the lower screw.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the arm is parallel with the roller tube.
5. Tighten the upper screw.