Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23952
awning damaged

maiden voyage of my used Windsport 34J to east coast the electric awning opened up accidentally when getting back on the highway after fueling. I don't know if somehow we hit the button by mistake, I thought it had to be held down until fully opened. Or somehow it malfunctioned . When it opened it hit a highway sign , arms got bent an d fabric rippedo off the side of the motorhome. I had to get out my new extension ladder and unbolt it , cut the control wires and left it in the ditch where I removed it. Hope my Good Sam warranty will cover it. Think I will replace it with a manual opening product.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The ignition interlock should have prevented the awning from deploying while the coach was running. You may have a bigger issue than you think.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You probably eliminated any chance of warranty coverage by leaving your junk on the side of the road. The warranty company can no longer verify the problem and the problem is not a missing awning but rather a malfunctioning awning.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:01 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybait1 View Post
maiden voyage of my used Windsport 34J to east coast the electric awning opened up accidentally when getting back on the highway after fueling. I don't know if somehow we hit the button by mistake, I thought it had to be held down until fully opened. Or somehow it malfunctioned . When it opened it hit a highway sign , arms got bent an d fabric rippedo off the side of the motorhome. I had to get out my new extension ladder and unbolt it , cut the control wires and left it in the ditch where I removed it. Hope my Good Sam warranty will cover it. Think I will replace it with a manual opening product.
That was very thoughtful of you leaving it along side the highway!!!
Are you expecting it to take root & grow a replacement for you or just a gift for the highway crew that will have to pick YOUR trash?
It's one thing for something to blow out or off unknowingly while traveling, but something else entirely when you intentionally toss crap along side the highway cause you're too lazy to pick it up!!!!!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Easy gents...... before you roast the OP to well done versus just medium rare.

I don't know how long his awning is but....... I know there would be no way to get the awning drum from my SV34 inside my coach if something like this happened and it got torn off. No way to strap it vertically or horizonatally to the back of the coach either without it sticking out into other lanes of traffic or sticking up so high it hits underpasses. I carry a toolbox with over 50lbs of tools but a hacksaw or sawzall is not one of them so I could not cut it into pieces to get it into the coach. He could certainly get the arms and brackets into the coach and he could tear the material off the drum completely and get that in the coach.

That being said.... I agree with LTK. Assuming someone in the coach did not accidetally hit the awning switch while the OP was fueling, sounds like a issue with the ignition interlock, which should have prevented the awning from opening with the key in the "run" position.

If that is the case, LTK is right that a problem with the Interlock could have an impact on other items as well.

If the awning power wires are still hanging out of the top of the coach, then it could be tested with a meter to see if power can be applied by hitting the awning extend switch with the key in the "run" position.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The Judge is right...
Take it easy, and give the Guy a break; he's already got more than enough troubles.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The OP said it was his maiden voyage and didn't say if he purchased the coach new or used but plenty of people have been reporting strange issues with new coaches, which is not a surprise right now.
He said "maiden voyage of my used Windsport 34J".

I have to agree that it would have been pretty much impossible to get all the mangled parts inside the coach. Had I been in the same situation, I'd have called the local highway department or police to explain what happened and that it was necessary to leave the parts on the side of the road. For dealing with the insurance company, I hope he took LOTS of photos of the damage.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post

I have to agree that it would have been pretty much impossible to get all the mangled parts inside the coach. Had I been in the same situation, I'd have called the local highway department or police to explain what happened and that it was necessary to leave the parts on the side of the road. For dealing with the insurance company, I hope he took LOTS of photos of the damage.

Sorry.... I did miss the "used" qualifier.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I saw "Used", and "Maiden Voyage"... This was supposed to be the trip where he got to learn about his RV. It's a shame that it got off to such a bad start.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
In all seriousness: I don't know how his State handles stuff like this...
But he probably should have stopped, and called the Police. They would have sent out someone to survey what happened, and call for the highway department to clean up the mess...
If there was damage to the sign (kind of unlikely): he would have been liable for those repairs.

And now for some Levity...

Old 07-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post

Disagree. Mangled parts would have fit inside the RV. I had an awning on a Sunseeker deploy at 55 mph. Domestic’s installation instructions were wrong and they had to issue a recall but no one was notified. A 17 foot awning tube went inside the RV at an angle.

Would have been easy on a mid entry class a.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Not to belabor the point; but carrying it out wouldn't be necessary if the Authorities would have been called to the scene of an "accident".
The O.P. could have taken pictures of it, and told his insurance company that it was too large for him to carry anyplace...
Since they're not on-scene: they're not qualified to comment...
Old 07-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Its a collision claim because he hit something.
And
Maybe not claimable without a police report.
And
Maybe not claimable since its an accessory(I think my insurance doesn't cover aftermariet roof racks)
And
I drove off with my slide open once(about 100 feet. I did a walk around. Electrical guy put it out while I was diddling with something under the dash. He exited, I drove off)
So
Maybe the op drove off with the awning out(plausible and more likely)
And
Damage to property he didn't own...leaving the scene of an accident...pieces of Lord-knows-what left in the road. Screws, brackets, motors.....

There is a societal obligation to act intelligently.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Not to belabor the point; but carrying it out wouldn't be necessary if the Authorities would have been called to the scene of an "accident".
The O.P. could have taken pictures of it, and told his insurance company that it was too large for him to carry anyplace...
Since they're not on-scene: they're not qualified to comment...
In theory maybe. In my case the tube with serial number had to be returned to Dometic. No tube no repair.

As a note there is probably body damage to the coach as well. My arms were ripped out of the sidewall.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The point of calling in Law Enforcement; is that they would bring in the Highway Department to clear the mess...
Old 07-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybait1 View Post
maiden voyage of my used Windsport 34J to east coast the electric awning opened up accidentally when getting back on the highway after fueling. I don't know if somehow we hit the button by mistake, I thought it had to be held down until fully opened. Or somehow it malfunctioned . When it opened it hit a highway sign , arms got bent an d fabric rippedo off the side of the motor home. I had to get out my new extension ladder and unbolt it , cut the control wires and left it in the ditch where I removed it. Hope my Good Sam warranty will cover it. Think I will replace it with a manual opening product.
Well, the safety interlock will prevent the patio awning from extending or retracting if the coach's ignition is on. In my coach (also made in plant 750) the awning control switch is beside the use/store switch and awning light switch. The awning switch is momentary direction switch. If it is touched and the ignition switch is off the awning will deploy.
Unfortunately I found out how the patio awning works the hard way. It has been my departing procedure to store everything and disconnect everything but shore power, then start the coach. After checking the tire pressures and engine instruments, I go back out and store the shore power cable and do a final check of the basement doors and dolly and Rampside. On reentering the coach, I noticed the patio awning was deployed, so I hit the in switch and drove off. Fortunately, I was at a famcamp and there was a stop sign at the exit road. At the stop noticed the coach did not want to accelerate away. Fortunately, I got out to see that the stop sign was bent down at a 45 degree angle and lodged under the roller. I managed to get the awning up and tied to the coach and proceeded 700 miles home. With $190 worth of parts from Carefree, I was able to repair the awning and learn just how it works.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:47 AM   #17

THOR #23952
thanks. we must have hit the switch accidently when entering after refueling. some people saw it extended and followed us trying to warn us too late. luckily we didn't hit anyones vehicle or do other damage. if i replace it i am going to add some type of switch cover or additional safety switch in line like the key switch safety to lower our forward cab bunk.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:57 AM   #18

THOR #23952
no way I could maneuver it inside the rv. possibly could have strapped it to the ladder but that needs replacing due to broken rungs. had one on order but didn't arrive before my trip. yep, probably should have called state police but too shook up and disgusted to analyze it. just wanted to get my ass and my family off the side of the highway as quickly as I could.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:05 AM   #19

THOR #23952
thanks, i will investgate that . If I could have fit it into the coach I would have taken it for evidence for the warranty or to try to repair and replace it. I do have pictures.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:13 AM   #20

THOR #23952
there wasn't much i could do with the busted awning. my concern was getting off the side of a busy interstate before I caused or was in an accident.
There was barely enough room on the shoulder for passing vehicles without me driving into the ditch . No way to drag the awning to the next offramp without hitting some more signs.