Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #23636
Awning Lights Not Working

Néw to the forum so thanks for the help in advance.

We have a 2020 Four Winds 24DS and our Led awning lights stopped working this week. We checked our build sheet on the Thor web page and identified a 2 amp fuse located behind the switch and replaced however lights still do not work.

Called Thor and they also saw the fuse however when this did not work they had me call Solera who provided the awning and light. We called and while waiting on hold we checked the Solera Manuals in our paperwork and found where it should have a resettable fuse/breaker provided by Solera. When Solera rep came on line they also saw the fuse/breaker discussed in manual but had no info on where to look or even where it was located on their product. They are checking with production next week for additional info.

Has anyone had this issue and if so could you find the fuse/breaker? We have power at a switch but not at lights. The fuse that thor added is before the switch which seems to indicate the Solera fuse breaker may be the issue.

We have followed the wire as far as we can and see no fuse/breaker between switch and light.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:59 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I am not familiar with your Solera LED awning, but it sounds like you have verified the Thor provided fuse is good. Did you verify that the 12vdc is also on the LED side of the switch when it is turned on? Did you verify that the ground wire for the LED lights is also still grounded properly? Also the resettable fuse may be a thermal fuse element provided by Solera, which resets itself after some cool down period (30 seconds to a minute for example), as opposed to an actual push button resettable fuse...... but I don’t know the product. Perhaps the thermal fuse failed, or it is not resetting automatically if there is a short (pinched wiring) somewhere in the awning wiring perhaps? Not much help but just throwing some speculation out there for consideration. I hope you find the fault and that it is not a failed LED string.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:06 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #14426
Having the same problem with awning light

I have a 2019 Thor 25v with the same problem. I would also like to know where the breaker is hidden! I have looked over the circuit as best I can with no luck.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:51 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #26122
I know this is almost two years old, but I have the same problem

Apologies for posting to an old thread, but I have what appears to be the exact same problem. Under awning lights were working fine, then just not. Didn't move anything (MH or Awning or switch) and just no longer worked. Before replacing LED strip, verified 12V available at switch and at strip connection. Replaced strip, now, no 12V at strip but is available at switch. Can't follow wiring as it dives behind wall panels, but no explanation as to why 12V 'disappeared.' Schematics show nothing. Was there ever a resolution to the issues others had? Thanks
Old 03-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #5

THOR #14426
fix for led awning lights

I finally was able to find a fix. I bought a new led strip on amazon and as it was self-adhesive I cleaned the area directly under the old lights and put the new ones up. I cut the wires to the old lights and connected the new lights to them. It worked well and I never had a problem since. I found that the old wiring was poorly sealed and that caused the lights to short out.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:06 PM   #6

THOR #26122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox998 View Post
I finally was able to find a fix. I bought a new led strip on amazon and as it was self-adhesive I cleaned the area directly under the old lights and put the new ones up. I cut the wires to the old lights and connected the new lights to them. It worked well and I never had a problem since. I found that the old wiring was poorly sealed and that caused the lights to short out.
Glad you found a fix. Thanks for a quick reply as well.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Check the wiring along the top of the awning itself near the awning bracket assemnly. My previous Thor had the wires hanging loosely and were in a "pinch point". They may have gotten damaged behind something up there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:24 PM   #8

THOR #26122
Thanks

Wires come out at bottom of awning brackets and run up the side in the awning bracket channel. Have checked full length of “exposed” wiring. Great thought, but have checked. Thanks for the suggestion.