Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 44MT
State: Arizona
THOR #18591
AGS problem

Looking for some help. The Magnum AGS has never worked correctly in my 2014 Thor. I am well versed on the set-up and programming. Now after sever trips to the shop I think I am getting closer to getting it right. Finally it started at the proper voltage drop off....unfortunately it only ran for about 2 minutes then shut off. It repeated this two more time before I turned the AGS off. My shop has thrown in the towel. Has anyone else run into this issue and resolved it?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like a sensor/wire is not reading things correctly, as when it starts, the 'Run Time' setting should then take over, providing continuous run until then... though, sometimes even if the AGS starts the Gen, if the fuel level is low, or there is a blockage in the Gen fuel line/filter, it might then cut off, which may have nothing to do with the AGS itself.

Can you start and stop the Generator, at will? Will it run indefinitely when you start it yourself? Does the AGS "test" setting start the Gen, then shut it off after 30 seconds?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:00 PM   #3

THOR #18591
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the generator runs and starts on demand....no issues with the generator operation. This really has me puzzled, I convinced it something minor, I'm just not sure what. The Auto Gen sensor controller was just replaced...…prior to that the generator would not start using the AGS.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #4

THOR #4735
THOR customer service might could tell you more specific details of how they 'wire' this system, between the Generator, the AGS Module, and the Magnum AGS display remote, to see if everything in your system is correct...

I could only suggest that you pull each wire/sensor/phone cable and reattach to make sure it is seated well within it's plug connection.

Another option would be to change the 'Run Time' settings between each trial test run, just in case it makes any difference.

I suppose you have the same Magnum display remote I do, the ME-RC.
If you happen to have the ME-ARC remote, it operates a little differently, allowing for one more critical, but great option - the ability to also shut OFF the generator when the Voltage reaches a 'high' Voltage. If that's the case, I wonder if yours might be 'seeing' this high voltage and shutting down the gen, prematurely. Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #5

THOR #4735
actually, after reading more details about the ME-ARC remote, it provides a LOT LOT LOT more AGS customization....wow! I need one of these!

see section 7
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...ARC_CD_Web.pdf
Old 04-15-2020, 11:29 PM   #6

THOR #18591
Thanks again. I am going to call Thor and Magnum...I am still under warrantee till July...…It could be an issue with the Inverter. Yes, I have the ME-RC controller.....I really want to get this AGS up and running.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #7

THOR #4735
I can't see that it would be an issue with the Inverter, since they are separate systems all together, though 'stranger' things have happened : /

The VOLTS setting triggers the AGS
The RUN TIME setting determines how long the Generator will run, as long as it is able to above the minimum fuel level, or as long as it does not shut on it's own due to it's own internal needs, such as 'overheating', 'overspeed', fuel blockage, etc. There are a myriad of generator 'codes' that might could cause that. The Generator's own switch, and the internal Coach switch, should then 'blink', showing that status.

There should be nothing else to interfere with the Generator continuing to run, until the RUN TIME has elapsed, even if the Generator's breaker was tripped, and none of that power ever got to the Main Panel and the Battery Charger.
This is one 'lack' that I have with the way these systems are built and installed. If the Generator is producing power, but none of it is getting back to the Coach, if it's breaker is tripped, there is NOTHING to alert the owner to this - at least until you have enough experience to realize that 'something' is not working properly - either the Magnum panel is still showing 'Inverting', which is a big hint, or the air conditioner(s) didn't come on, as they should have, etc., otherwise, it's really hard to tell if the generator's breaker has tripped, since, after all, you 'hear' the generator running!

Another 'lack' is the ability for the Magnum remote panel to send some type of 'audible' alert if the Inverter suddenly takes over from 120v Shore or Generator power. I would like to see this as a 'standard' alert, but one that you could also disable, if you desire. I've had many times when Shore Power was lost, or the Generator's breaker tripped WHILE it had already been running, but the Inverter taking over made no noticeable difference within the coach, because, after all, the Inverter is well designed to handle all the 120v outlets that things are plugged into. If it's not for the air conditioner(s) suddenly shutting off, it might otherwise be REALLY HARD to tell that the Inverter is in play - which is really a GREAT reason for the LBCO Magnum remote setting: It disables the Inverter if the batteries fall too low, even if you are 'thinking' that they are being Charged, while the whole time they were not!
A 'ding', a 'ring', a series of 'dongs', or something should alert the owner that the INVERTER is now the power source - that's a simple request...hear me Magnum?
Old 04-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #8

THOR #4735
Exclamation

by the way, Magnum(Sensata) customer service has always been GREAT!... they will take the time to go thru your issue and help as much as they can. You can even email them, if you prefer.. they WILL reply and answer.

Magnum Inverters come with a 3 year warranty... I would also suspect that includes their supplemental products like the AGS module, ME-RC remote, etc.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #9

THOR #18591
I have an e-mail into Magnum and I'm chatting with Thor. i have my fingers crossed.

Tags
ags, auto start, magnum