Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Weight on Axis roof

When we take possession of our Axis, I will want to explore all fit.

Does this model have any roof weigh limits for ....uuummm, a friend.... that weighs 260 lb's?

Old 08-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Just be careful as the roof will dimple if a small pressure point (knee, foot) has all of your weight.

I weigh 235, I installed 3 solar panels, a large sat dish, drip rails, and a vent cover. All while on the roof.

One suggestion is to walk or kneel on a 12” x 18” piece of 1/4” or 3/8” plywood. Best to have two pieces with you.
That will spread the weight.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

THOR #24565
Very good advice, thank you.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #24089
My dealer wouldnt allow me to inspect the roof, due to "regulations". And since the 25.2 doesnt have a ladder, I was SOL.

Good advice with using plywood, BUT, I wouldnt... The sharp corners or any splinters could poke a hole in the roof lining. I use this foamed-based knee board for mounting stuff on my roof, and doing masonry work around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBLATT-IND...9835095&sr=8-1
Old 08-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

THOR #24565
Good point! Maybe I will combine the two ideas and adhere a foam bottom to a more rigid top to both spread my weight and cushion the roof.

If any one over 250+ has been on their Axis/Vegas roof and did not fall through, chime in.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #6

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
280 lbs. I walk on out freedom elite with no issue. I do place a piece of masonite between my knee and the roof whenever a knee to keep my knee from crushing the foam.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

THOR #24565
Thank you! I feel better knowing this.

I would sure hate to have to lose weight!!!
Old 08-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058

Not everybody cares But if your imaginary friend knows what he is looking for on the roof , I am sure he will know how to be careful on a RV roof. The ladder may actually break or loosen first; at that weight I would try to avoid using the factory ladder. I actually walked from a brand new RV that had ladder problems that they could not fix. It was too wobbly for me to even try to use. It had holes and the black sealant gunk all over the place where they had tried to fix.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #9

THOR #24565
That is terrible.

I appreciate the ladder warning for that friend of mine!!!
At home I have a 12 foot ladder I use in the tractor shed. I know it has a safe weight rating.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have SOB but I use my ladder and walk/work on the roof regularly. I’ve been up there a dozen or more times. Manufacturer says it’s “walkable” and I take them at their word. I’m only about 185 though.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:47 PM   #11

THOR #13058
I am SOB too, I am on my roof 2 or 3 times every month or so... cleaning waxing etc. My Mfg says DO NOT EXCEED 225lbs. I don't hit that, but I do eat free Krispy Kreme Donuts every day I can

The ladder that I refer to that was loose was brand new TMC on a Dealer's lot. Dealer was kind of short fused to discuss because apparently they had the same discussions with other prospective buyers. They kept alluding to the fact that you should NOT be on the roof

OP has alternate ladder, which is what I would use at 250 or above just as a matter of routine, but if it were urgent, I wouldn't hesitate to go up on that roof at 300 pounds ( that assumes I got some agility)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Remember... the fall won't hurt much...
But oh boy... that landing!!
Be careful up there folks!!
Old 08-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Remember... the fall won't hurt much...
But oh boy... that landing!!
Be careful up there folks!!
I would like to emphasize this. I am aware of two deaths from ladder falls and, typically, ask someone to spot me when I use the flimsy version attached to the back of our Axis. Instructions are not to catch me but keep my head from being the first thing that contacts the ground.

So if you see an old man climbing up the back of his motorhome with his wife standing behind with her arms out, that be us.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
I have a Hurricane 34J and weigh out at around 300 lbs. I have been on my roof many times for inspections and cleaning. Never had an issue. Roof seems pretty firm when walking. I have used the ladder which I was told had a 300 lb rating. I prefer to use my telescoping ladder as I am concerned about the longevity of the attached ladder.
I also have a wonderful much much lighter wife that will climb up there for me for quick checks.
Toad 2 - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fordste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Kneeling...

"One suggestion is to walk or kneel on a 12” x 18” piece of 1/4” or 3/8” plywood. Best to have two pieces with you.
That will spread the weight.[/QUOTE]

This response is not about the roof but one suggestion mentioned "kneeling". I have a Track Mat Bedrug and just ordered one from Amazon ($31) for my son. This is a folding mat 2' by 4' and about 2" thick when folded. This is a great product on the ground when kneeling or going under your coach. Saves your knees...keeps your pants from getting dirty...etc. I have no financial interest in this company but just reporting it is one of my best purchases. It could be used on the roof but probably not convenient as it would have to be moved from place to place.
"Bedrug TW2X4MAT TrailerWare Charcoal Grey 2' x 4' Folding Track Mat"

https://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-TW2X4M.../dp/B0097JQ32O
Old 09-01-2021, 11:26 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordste View Post
I have a Hurricane 34J and weigh out at around 300 lbs. I have been on my roof many times for inspections and cleaning. Never had an issue. Roof seems pretty firm when walking. I have used the ladder which I was told had a 300 lb rating. I prefer to use my telescoping ladder as I am concerned about the longevity of the attached ladder.
I also have a wonderful much much lighter wife that will climb up there for me for quick checks.

Did you buy any chance inspect the roof on a brand new Thor 2019 27B at MHSRV about 2 years ago

I have no idea of what the weight limit is, but that ladder was shot, they had tried to remount those screws and used glues / sealant and epoxy a few times. It was a wobbly ladder that the acknowledged and to their credit thy can clean and said they would NOT repair any further than what it was.

I guess when it holds it holds but when / if it goes you got a problem. If a ladder is rated for 300#s, my money says it will go at least 330#s with no issues. I have a SOB and mine is rated for 225#s
Old 09-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #17

THOR #24565
After read through all this I think a pull behind industrial fork lift is warranted.
Not sure I ever want to climb the attached ladder.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:51 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
We have a toy hauler. I also carry a 6' step ladder on board. Came in handy when an unseen (at night) heavy branch of a tree tangled with the a/c unit.
I at 250#, and a friend around 190# went atop to inspect and correct whatever's.
No problems.
BTW, we had to straighten out a somewhat twisted a-coil, thankfully no leaks afterwards and a/c works fine.
Dropped the back ramp door atop my big Rctic cooler. set up step ladder, access onto roof : perfect.