Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #18168
inverter code E11

Im showing the above mentioned code on the display screen along with an alarm. Upon looking at other threads on this forum, one person replaced "2" batteries. On my schematic it shows only 2 batteries. There are however 5 batteries in the coach battery compartment. Looking for some guidance on this issue im having...

Old 04-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
what brand/size/type of Inverter?
what 'display screen' are you referring to?
if you have 5 batteries, chances are 1 is for the vehicle/chassis, the other 4 are you HOUSE batteries(for the Inverter)... either optional, or someone added them(nice!)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Xantrex Freedom Inverters says this:

E11 Over-temperature detected on the AC transfer relay AC shore power

• Reduce the loads connected to the AC
outlet of the unit.
• Check that the ventilation grille is not
blocked.
• Check for ambient temperature and move
the unit to a cooler location whenever
possible.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #4

THOR #18168
Eaton True Sine Wave Inverter. The Error code shows battery not accepting charge. The batteries in this compartment are all house batteries Im assuming, due to there being another battery under the "hood"
Old 04-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cass View Post
Eaton True Sine Wave Inverter. The Error code shows battery not accepting charge. The batteries in this compartment are all house batteries Im assuming, due to there being another battery under the "hood"
you are correct about the batteries. 4 house. 1 chassis. Is you Battery Disconnect switch on? Have you done any battery work recently?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

THOR #18168
The battery switch is on, I had the generator running and was getting that code. I have only a 20 amp service with adapters plugged in to the unit to "keep charge".

I just hooked my multi meter to the batteries. 2 show 11.5 and 2 show -11.5
Old 04-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cass View Post
The battery switch is on, I had the generator running and was getting that code. I have only a 20 amp service with adapters plugged in to the unit to "keep charge".

I just hooked my multi meter to the batteries. 2 show 11.5 and 2 show -11.5
Batteries are dead. Check water levels in the batteries. Do you have a converter or is yours an Inverter/charger?

You need 13.6 to charge the batteries. Look for resets on you inverter. Check the breaker if on converter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	batterystate.gif
Views:	163
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	23381
Old 04-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
I had the same issue the other day. Batteries check out fine. I ended up unplugging all power for about 10 minutes and plugging back in. Everything has been fine since. We had a thunderstorm the night before and I think it just got confused and need a reboot. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
I thought I had this resolved but it is back. I noticed the other day that the remote display on the Eaton 1800 inverter was showing 11.9V when it normally shows above 13. When metering the batteries both the house and chassis below 12V and I was unable to start the motorhome. I tried my previous fix by removing all power for 10 minutes, but this did not fix the problem. All batteries charge fine with an external charger. I replaced the BIM and this was not the fix. I have a converter WF-9855 and when I remove the fuses while plugged in to shore power all 12V power went out. I am thinking that the converter is putting out 12V as expected. This is leading me to think it is “Main battery switch and relay”.

Does this sound correct? Part of my confusion is that the Eaton 1800 also talks about charging and this is the component showing low voltage and E11 error. E11 error is that battery is not accepting charge. This error only shows up after the batteries are completely depleted. Currently my Eaton display is showing 12.1V but my Multiplex display shows 13.4V. The use switch is on and cannot be turned off while connected to shore power. I have flipped it up just to make sure. Is it possible that both the converter and inverter can charge the batteries? If so, when would the inverter charge and when would the convert charge? Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

I am going camping this weekend. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this from causing issues?

I would appreciate any input you have.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
I thought I had this resolved but it is back. I noticed the other day that the remote display on the Eaton 1800 inverter was showing 11.9V when it normally shows above 13. When metering the batteries both the house and chassis below 12V and I was unable to start the motorhome. I tried my previous fix by removing all power for 10 minutes, but this did not fix the problem. All batteries charge fine with an external charger. I replaced the BIM and this was not the fix. I have a converter WF-9855 and when I remove the fuses while plugged in to shore power all 12V power went out. I am thinking that the converter is putting out 12V as expected. This is leading me to think it is “Main battery switch and relay”.

Does this sound correct? Part of my confusion is that the Eaton 1800 also talks about charging and this is the component showing low voltage and E11 error. E11 error is that battery is not accepting charge. This error only shows up after the batteries are completely depleted. Currently my Eaton display is showing 12.1V but my Multiplex display shows 13.4V. The use switch is on and cannot be turned off while connected to shore power. I have flipped it up just to make sure. Is it possible that both the converter and inverter can charge the batteries? If so, when would the inverter charge and when would the convert charge? Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

I am going camping this weekend. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this from causing issues?

I would appreciate any input you have.

Charge the batteries
With the coach NOT plugged in put your USE/STORE switch to USE
Do you have 12 volt lights inside now? If not, find out why the latching relay is not working - may be an inline 5 amp fuse near it.
It the lights DO work plug in to SP and measure the voltage at the house batteries - if not above 13/1 VDC find out why the converter is not charging the batteries - check the reverse polarity fuses.

As far as I can tell your Eaton 1800 Watt inverter is NOT a charger.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #11

THOR #18168
Fixed

My issue was a bad ground. The ground from the batteries to the chassis.