Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
Awning won't retract

I have a 2017 Thor Toyhauler 29h. My awning will go out but will not retract. I can get it to go in about a foot if I have someone push it while I hold the button. But then it stops. Motor noise just quits after 10 seconds. I'm plugged in. I've unplugged and tried it with the gen. Same issue. How can I retract it.Thanks

Old 08-28-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Try this for troubleshooting purposes. When it's out all the way continue holding the EXTEND button - it should continue rolling and roll the awning back in "backwards". If so, now hit the RETRACT button and the awning should roll all the way and then continue rolling back in as normal.

This should tell you if you have a motor or a jamming issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Try this for troubleshooting purposes. When it's out all the way continue holding the EXTEND button - it should continue rolling and roll the awning back in "backwards". If so, now hit the RETRACT button and the awning should roll all the way and then continue rolling back in as normal.

This should tell you if you have a motor or a jamming issue.
I just tried that. It does roll back up for only a second. Then dies again. Is there a manual way to roll this up so I can get home? If I unplug electricity power to it, does the piston relax so I can push it in?
Old 08-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It's on page 4 of your awning manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.png
Views:	76
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	33150  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Check the manufacturer website for the make you have. You should be able to use a 3/8 drive wrench to roll it up manually. If you have a Lippert awning, you need a fitting nut drive socket and power drill. There is a small cover on the front end that can be opened and you will see where the nut drive socket fits. Every manufacturer has a way to manually operate the awning in an event like this one.

Paul
Old 08-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #6

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
I have a 2017 29H as well, and it’s driving me mad why the awning sometimes doesn’t retract. I’ve never had to manually retract though, as it will eventually work. It’s the LCI Solera, 12v model. The retract takes more power than extend, so I think it’s a low battery issue- although you would think being plugged in or running gennie would solve that problem. I’ve never found the smoking gun as to why it won’t retract- but I have found that pulling the pivot points down seems to help. I think in that position there’s less force required to retract (although the manual specifically says you don’t need to do this; manuals sometimes lie like rugs.) And if the battery is slightly low, that little bit seems to help.

I’ve been meaning to follow the power lines to see if Thor did something stupid, like connect it to the chassis battery instead of the coach. That’s the only thing I can think of that would give these symptoms. If that’s the case, turning on the engine would help.

Here’s our manual retract page, btw
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	33187