Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11777
Axerra radio screen stuck on camera mode- no Home Screen or radio control function

Axerra radio AVM70LH screen is stuck on camera mode. Turn signal cameras appear to work BUT I have NO FUNCTIONALITY of any of the radio buttons… no ability to turn it off of on, no Home Screen. Tried pushing reset button which just reset it to the camera screen. Tried disconnecting the “car” battery, tried turning off the house main switch and that DOES shut off the screen but when I turn the main switch back on it just goes back to camera screen with no use of radio control buttons. Anyone have suggestions? Can’t seem to find any answers in prior posts.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:56 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
In order to completely disconnect the power, you’ll have to disconnect the keep alive power lead also. That lead on my outlaw is wired to the battery side of the use,store. Relay with an in-line fuse.

Also the switching lead is fused in the fuse panel, so you’ll put the rig in store mode at the same time.

Other than that all I can think of is the reverse sensed lead going to the radio is somehow shorted.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Have you tried to "reset" the radio?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220423_220521.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	37081  
Old 04-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The OP tried "reset" to no avail.

Did you try the remote? Also, placing the transmission into reverse will turn on that screen, is it possible it is in reverse and/or are the back-up lights on?
Good luck!

EDIT: The manual indicates the orange wire (in the back of unit) is the "+" coming in for reverse, are you able to access and test it?
Our radio is powered by the 'house' battery and the radio memory power is from the 'chassis' battery. Try disconnecting both sources at the same time.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #5

THOR #16471
Red face I erred....

I checked my BCC diagram and the radio memory is powered directly from the 'coach' battery and the radio itself is powered through the 'coach' disconnect. But YMMV so disconnecting both battery sets at the same time is a shot in the dark!
Old 04-25-2022, 02:43 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11777
Response from Axxera

Axxera said to disconnect that orange wire and suspects it is the switcher box. I am unsure about taking the radio apart myself so now desperately searching for someone who can work on it.

Thanks for all the reply options. While in storage I had disconnect BOTH house and chassis batteries and this all originated when reconnecting them both.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #7

THOR #16471
Then if you have the radio removed, think about just replacing it, there are too many people here that do not like the Axxera, too many problems with it. We hardly turn ours on, so it is not a problem for us.

So sorry, good luck!
Old 05-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Maryland
THOR #26579
Hi Sandy
My axerra radio was doing the same thing I removed the radio and found the connector was loose . I wrapped a couple Ty wraps around the connector and a year later so far so good.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #9

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredetzel View Post
My axerra radio was doing the same thing I removed the radio and found the connector was loose . I wrapped a couple Ty wraps around the connector and a year later so far so good.
How did you access that part?
In our Thor Outlaw, it appears that the entire dash cover piece, the one that covers the radio all the way past the steering wheel (including over the light switch), needs to be removed to even take the radio out.

Our darn radio decides when it will turn on, and when it will not. Once on, all is okay, sometimes it just will not respond. I don't like the way the volume button does not react if you turn it faster than a real slow pace...

One of these days, I will figure how to get that dash part off, without breaking it, then buy a replacement radio.

Meanwhile, I have installed a rear camera (additional to original), that bluetooths to the Garmin GPS. I hated that round trip from eastern TN, through Utah and home, with no camera at all. You do what you gotta do!

edit: I only disliked not having the camera capability, the trip otherwise, was awesome.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #25694
axerra radio

hi sandy
i had that problem with mine and i keeped pushing the mode button untle the camera was high lited and them taped it.. that worked for me. that is a piece of junk radio but as long as the camera and gps screen work iam not gona replace it.
good luck HAPPY TRAILS
Old 05-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Maryland
THOR #26579
There are lots of videos out there find one close to your year for dash panel removal. Once that’s off remove the trim around the radio and use a putty knife or something similar to release the clips that hold the radio in then pull the radio straight out. Take your time and don’t force anything that plastic breaks easily. Good luck hope you get it working.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #12

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
How did you access that part?
In our Thor Outlaw, it appears that the entire dash cover piece, the one that covers the radio all the way past the steering wheel (including over the light switch), needs to be removed to even take the radio out.

Our darn radio decides when it will turn on, and when it will not. Once on, all is okay, sometimes it just will not respond. I don't like the way the volume button does not react if you turn it faster than a real slow pace...

One of these days, I will figure how to get that dash part off, without breaking it, then buy a replacement radio.

Meanwhile, I have installed a rear camera (additional to original), that bluetooths to the Garmin GPS. I hated that round trip from eastern TN, through Utah and home, with no camera at all. You do what you gotta do!

edit: I only disliked not having the camera capability, the trip otherwise, was awesome.
You're likely going to need to pull the head unit... all the wiring connections are on the rear, which are a ***** to get at without pulling it out of the dash.

The front bezel is probably part of the dash... which is simply held together with plastic clips which snap firmly into place. You can carefully pry it apart with a hard plastic scraper - auto parts stores usually have cheap trim removal tool kits for that. After you've done it once, it's not that scary.

BUT... if you don't feel comfortable doing that kind of thing, go to an automotive "stereo shop" and pay them to do it for you. At that point, you may as well decide if you want to replace the head unit.