Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Axis 2016 24.1 Engine Battery replacement

Well, It finally happened. I had to replace the engine battery by removing the work station desk from the passenger side dash board. No fast simple chore. Took almost 6 hours to finishing the job. I started by cutting the plywood cut-out to get the old battery out after the work station was removed. It was difficult to fix the plywood piece back into the dash when the new battery was installed. I installed a maintenance free AGM group 65, 750 cold cranking amps battery so I would no longer have to add distilled water to that battery. That was another poor design flaw. I would like to shoot the guy that designed the engine compartment so you could not replace the battery from the front of the engine. I wonder if removing the right front tire and going through the wheel well would be easier. Good luck when your day comes to replace that battery. Happy camping.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I replaced my eng. battery a couple years ago same procedure you used There are some forum members that have replaced theirs thru the front wheel well. Not sure if you have to take the wheel off or not, but still not easy, anyway you do it.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
The tire doesn’t need to come off. Just turn it to the right and it will come out but not an easy chore that way either.

Now I need to figure out how to change out the air filter.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
The tire doesn’t need to come off. Just turn it to the right and it will come out but not an easy chore that way either.

Now I need to figure out how to change out the air filter.
I did the air filter 12 mo ago.
It’s a cone type
If I recall, it was much easier to remove than to put it all back together.
I remember having to remove some of the cowling around it to gain access for my hands.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
I did that once in our 2016 24.1 Vegas, was a workout getting the battery out and new one in!! I put in metal brackets to hold the plywood cut out to make it easier for the next guy that bought it after we traded it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
Well, It finally happened. I had to replace the engine battery by removing the work station desk from the passenger side dash board. No fast simple chore. Took almost 6 hours to finishing the job. I started by cutting the plywood cut-out to get the old battery out after the work station was removed. It was difficult to fix the plywood piece back into the dash when the new battery was installed. I installed a maintenance free AGM group 65, 750 cold cranking amps battery so I would no longer have to add distilled water to that battery. That was another poor design flaw. I would like to shoot the guy that designed the engine compartment so you could not replace the battery from the front of the engine. I wonder if removing the right front tire and going through the wheel well would be easier. Good luck when your day comes to replace that battery. Happy camping.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Easy inexpensive brackets to remount the cut-out are shown and described in my signature thread. It's between posts 60 and 80.
I put them in preemptively. I'll swap the battery this summer.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Well, It finally happened. I had to replace the engine battery by removing the work station desk from the passenger side dash board.
Happy camping.
Welcome to the club ! We replaced the chassis battery last fall. Having read about it in advance...we were prepared. Our plywood board fit snugly in place, helped out with some expanding foam. We, carefully, removed the board and determined we would allow our battery guy to do the removal and placing new battery. Having the opening ready for him when we arrived, he did the job rather quickly. Having in business for many years, he knew motorhome batteries can be a pain.
We replaced the wood and taped it in place using Gorilla tape.
We have a hinge and small hasp we are going to install...soon...in hopes of getting on the road sometime this summer !

Happy camping and stay safe and well !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I did the air filter 12 mo ago.
It’s a cone type
If I recall, it was much easier to remove than to put it all back together.
I remember having to remove some of the cowling around it to gain access for my hands.
replacing the air filter is a royal PITA. Getting the band clamp to fit around in the right angle and then clamping it is very hard to do and its hard to have a second hand in there helping. I put a KN air filter in so that way i rarely had to replace/clean the dang thing.
I have not replaced the chassis battery but it looks like another PITA too.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Vegas battery replacement

On the 17 Vegas they changed the engine battery removal from destroying the dash to removing the inner fender on the right front. It's a pain if you're a contortionest and next to impossible if you're as old as I am.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:01 AM   #10

State: Utah
THOR #17308
Quote:
I actually trashed the plywood cutout and replaced it with one of those insulated vent covers. It was a perfect fit and held it in place with a staple gun. Bit of a noise dampener and heat insulator from the engine compartment as well. ��