Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Can anyone explain why this has not been subject to a recall or at best a class action lawsuit??
It happened to us last week, the cast plunger broke and we were trapped inside.

A trip to Camping World and they had the lock , with Good Sam discounts $223.00 which I refused , $135 on Amazon. This is ludicrous.. if trimark was serious about their product, a replacement part would be available since it appears every single lock has or will be malfunctioning . I’ve not received my new lock, but rest assured I will check plunger .. and if no steel plunger I will be contacting trimark.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #42

Model: Vegas
State: Florida
THOR #21560
Door Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetmkr View Post
Can anyone explain why this has not been subject to a recall or at best a class action lawsuit??
It happened to us last week, the cast plunger broke and we were trapped inside.

A trip to Camping World and they had the lock , with Good Sam discounts $223.00 which I refused , $135 on Amazon. This is ludicrous.. if trimark was serious about their product, a replacement part would be available since it appears every single lock has or will be malfunctioning . I’ve not received my new lock, but rest assured I will check plunger .. and if no steel plunger I will be contacting trimark.
See replies 34, 24, and 12 above. I'm talking about the lock pictured in #34. 2014? Yours should look like that one. If it does, then the part # given by S.Chin is the one you need. Easy to change, peace of mind, get it from TRIMARK, cheapest there is, your local locksmith should have the blanks for a couple or 3 spares. Good Luck. Ed
Old 01-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #43

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
I ordered a new one from Amazon last night. Being delivered to my friend’s house today since I’m at a campground. I wouldn’t have been able to order the lock if I didn’t have a friend nearby. My research says a lot of campgrounds don’t receive deliveries unless you are seasonal or annual.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:59 PM   #44

State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
See replies 34, 24, and 12 above. I'm talking about the lock pictured in #34. 2014? Yours should look like that one. If it does, then the part # given by S.Chin is the one you need. Easy to change, peace of mind, get it from TRIMARK, cheapest there is, your local locksmith should have the blanks for a couple or 3 spares. Good Luck. Ed

I received my $135 Amazon replacement trimark, complete with steel plunger.

I looked at the links provided.. noticed on eBay over 900 units sold … so how many more replaced by Amazon, dealers , locksmith etc. the parts dept at Camping world stated “ they all fail”..

so my question once again Why hasn’t this been subject to a recall ? In reading these threads and topics over the months , It seems that RV owners just tolerate whatever the mfg throws at them.

I’m happy with my Thor hurricane.. does it have materials and assembly that could have been done a different way , to make repair easier.. sure… but overall it’s a great product….

But when a key component fails , over and over , and puts occupants at risk trapped inside, or throws tremendous expense to have to gain entry if locked out …

Just seems trimark would had done the right thing or at least the manufacturer required them to take care of the customer..

Just my 2 cents ..
Old 01-31-2022, 03:03 PM   #45
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetmkr View Post
I received my $135 Amazon replacement trimark, complete with steel plunger.

I looked at the links provided.. noticed on eBay over 900 units sold … so how many more replaced by Amazon, dealers , locksmith etc. the parts dept at Camping world stated “ they all fail”..

so my question once again Why hasn’t this been subject to a recall ? In reading these threads and topics over the months , It seems that RV owners just tolerate whatever the mfg throws at them.

I’m happy with my Thor hurricane.. does it have materials and assembly that could have been done a different way , to make repair easier.. sure… but overall it’s a great product….

But when a key component fails , over and over , and puts occupants at risk trapped inside, or throws tremendous expense to have to gain entry if locked out …

Just seems trimark would had done the right thing or at least the manufacturer required them to take care of the customer..

Just my 2 cents ..
There are many cases where Trimark has replaced the lock for free with just a phone call.

Did you report your lock failure to the NHTSA? Recalls don't happen by themselves. How may other lock replacement cases have been reported to the NHTSA? There have to be enough complaints and a determination made that it's a safety issue for a mandated recall.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:14 AM   #46

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
After our 2016 Vegas door lock broke, I called Trimark and they promptly sent a replacement lock assembly gratis. It came with a steel plunger. (That after I choked at the cost of the same replacement at Cpg Wurld.)
Old 02-02-2022, 05:08 AM   #47

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
After our 2016 Vegas door lock broke, I called Trimark and they promptly sent a replacement lock assembly gratis. It came with a steel plunger. (That after I choked at the cost of the same replacement at Cpg Wurld.)
I swear Camping Wuss thinks any parts or accessories they sell are made of gold!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:49 PM   #48

State: Tennessee
THOR #17494
The lock on my 2014 Vegas locked me out! I managed to open it and removed the inside plate. There is a white plastic piece that is broken. I assume that I will need to replace the whole thing. I can’t find anything with the same size opening. It is 4 7/8 x 4 1/2. Don’t need an upgrade. Just need to be able to open, close, lock & unlock. ��
Old 10-12-2023, 11:10 PM   #49
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Sounds like a Trimark T507 would work:

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-C...dp/B00EOTE8BA/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 01:07 AM   #50

THOR #21560
Replacement Door lock

Heypat- See post #12 on page #1 of this thread. That is the part # you need.
I believe you need to bite the bullet- it's the easiest and, perhaps, the ONLY answer. Ed
Old 01-04-2024, 02:19 AM   #51
HAA

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #31545
2023 Axis 24.1 Door Lock assembly

Our brand new Axis 24.1 has an issue with the door deadbolt and mechanism.
The deadbolt could not be unlocked from inside if locked with the key from outside. The dealer service tech took it apart and said the whole assembly needed to be replaced and ordered one.
The next day (last Friday) we locked the door and then found the deadbolt to be stuck and the key would not turn (we were locked out).
Note: The coach was parked in our driveway as we are not traveling for a couple of weeks.
This was new years weekend and I did not want to be unable to enter the coach until after new years day so I used our emergency roadside assistance who sent a locksmith. The locksmith drilled out the lock so the door could be opened and just use the lower lock (non-deadbolt). The service was covered,
Tomorrow the dealer is replacing the door lock assembly under warranty.
I just hope the new lock assembly is not one prone to the issues you all talked about in this thread.

I am unhappy that my mew 24.1 had this issue but glad it was found out before we take it on a road trip.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #52

State: Georgia
THOR #25683
We repaired ours as a preemptive strike last year. It turned out one "leg" of the latch was already broken and the other was cracked. This is where we got the parts and the info to repair it

https://www.latchfix.com/