Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #3405
Axis 24.1 isolator relay

If the unit is plugged in always will the isolator relay charge and maintain house and chassis batteries. That is the impression it am getting from reading about it.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpdsmith View Post
If the unit is plugged in always will the isolator relay charge and maintain house and chassis batteries. That is the impression it am getting from reading about it.
As long as you have the "use" switch in the use position and the circuit breaker in the house battery area has not been inadvertently flipped, all the batteries will automatically be recharged.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
ETS

Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
Is your USE/Store switch a rocker/ auto return to center type - you push either up or down and when the switch is released it returns to center? Mine is that way and whenever I push either way I hear the a solenoid engage but when I release the switch and it returns to center the solenoid disengages. In my case it makes the switch useless.
I have to force the switch to stay in position to use the USE mode.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Have you discussed this with your dealer?

Bruce in New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS View Post
....I have to force the switch to stay in position to use the USE mode.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Most battery isolators do not allow the chassis battery to charge when connected to shore power. This is to prevent overcharging the chassis battery.

When the chassis is started the isolator allows a momentary pause for the alternator to come to speed before allowing the chassis alternator to begin charging the house/coach batteries.

Want proof, disconnect the chassis battery cables and read the voltage across negative and positive cables when connected to shore power.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

THOR #3405
Thanks, I thought that is what I was reading, doesn't seem to be the case, though. As a matter of fact my coach battery is continually discharging. The manual for the delay says that there should be no current from the ignition wire coming from the relay, but I'm reading about 2 amps.
Any idea what to do next?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

THOR #3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Most battery isolators do not allow the chassis battery to charge when connected to shore power. This is to prevent overcharging the chassis battery.

When the chassis is started the isolator allows a momentary pause for the alternator to come to speed before allowing the chassis alternator to begin charging the house/coach batteries.

Want proof, disconnect the chassis battery cables and read the voltage across negative and positive cables when connected to shore power.
Thanks, it I a real pain to do anything in the battery compartment. Need smaller hands and smaller tools I guess.
As far as the isolator relay switch goes
The manual seems to indicate that it will charge chassis and house battery when plugged into shore power.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpdsmith View Post
Thanks, I thought that is what I was reading, doesn't seem to be the case, though. As a matter of fact my coach battery is continually discharging. The manual for the delay says that there should be no current from the ignition wire coming from the relay, but I'm reading about 2 amps.
Any idea what to do next?
Is the coach battery a Harris battery? There are numerous threads where folks have had problems with the Harris batteries not maintaining a charge.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #9

THOR #3405
There are a pair of 27 batteries in the coach, cannot find a name of manufacturer on them.
You think this may be the reason the isolator relay is open even when the ignition is off?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
The only way I can think of for the isolator to connect the coach and chassis batteries with the ignition off is if there is a short in the emergency start switch. Depressing that switch allows the isolator to be by passed so the engine can be started off the coach batteries if the chassis battery is dead.

BTW, not sure which version of the manual you are looking at but this is from the 2014 version. "When the motorhome engine is not running, the chassis and auxiliary batteries are kept separated from each other within the electrical system through the use of a battery isolating controller. The controller prevents the auxiliary batteries from discharging the chassis battery when the motorhome is parked."

My dealer gave me a 2012 version when I bought my coach and I had to download the current version.
FMCA - F432054