Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
JamieGeek,
Good point. Just from an air flow aspect, I do think with the low opening on the Axis, it has more of a chance to suck in damaging debris. Our California freeways are terrible for this along with the rock and dirt hauling trucks that break the covered load required laws.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl
Our California freeways are terrible for this along with the rock and dirt hauling trucks that break the covered load required laws.
In Michigan you are in more danger of just the road surface crumbling and pieces of that hitting the coach ! LOL If you don't get that the entire coach may disappear in a pothole .
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #43

THOR #3483
Okay, the radiator protection program is done for now. I will post pictures as soon as I can. No holes drilled, no zip ties, didn't go the direction of Home Depot with the screen door guard. I used 1/2" expanded aluminum that I bought at my local metal supply company. I measured the approximate size to cover the radiator at 23 1/2" high and 30 1/2" wide and used a piece of cardboard as a template. Put the sized template in place to see how it would fit as well as flexibility behind the windshield washer reservoir. Seemed like all was a go so I used the template to mark off the sheet of expanded aluminum and then cut it with a pair of tin snips. Placed the sized expanded aluminum in front of the radiator and noted that there are two 6mm holes at the top that already have nuts welded behind them. I used two 6 mm stainless steel allen head bolts, 1/2"long, fender and lock washers to secure the sized panel. Since there are vertical supports in front of the radiator, their is ample support from the inward force of the airstream. I tucked the bottom of the panel inboard of the windshield washer reservoir so it can be easily accessed. Looks like it will work! As I said, pictures to follow.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #44

THOR #3483
Radiator Protection

Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2185.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1680  

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1682  

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1683  
Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #45

THOR #3483
Radiator Protection

I didn't like the look of the bright aluminum behind the grill opening... Looked a bit busy as they say. Removed the expanded aluminum and spray painted it semi-gloss black. Much better. Picture to follow.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I didn't like the look of the bright aluminum behind the grill opening... Looked a bit busy as they say. Removed the expanded aluminum and spray painted it semi-gloss black. Much better. Picture to follow.
Painting it is a good idea. I used a plastic dog screen and plastic tied it to the front grill so that it comes completely off the radiator with the front grill pulled down. I have not liked the grey color behind the grill but painting it black might make it a lot less noticeable. I had not thought to do that.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #47

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Painting it is a good idea. I used a plastic dog screen and plastic tied it to the front grill so that it comes completely off the radiator with the front grill pulled down. I have not liked the grey color behind the grill but painting it black might make it a lot less noticeable. I had not thought to do that.
I sprayed it with a primer first, then with semi-gloss black. You might want to look at how I attached the 1/2 inch expanded aluminum to the radiator support structure with the bolt holes that are already there. Aluminum does not really weight much so you don't need too much support for it.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #48

THOR #3483
Expanded Aluminum Painted

IMG_2207.jpg 1/2 inch expanded aluminum painted black
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	2048  
Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #49

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I did mine using a screen door Pet Guard from Lowes Hardware (around $15). Had to bend a couple of the mounting arms on the screen but other than that it fit with just four holes drilled. See picture.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1463963517

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lowermounts.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	2051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Topmounts.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	2052  

Name:	entireguard .jpg
Views:	362
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	2053  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #50

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
another but more DIY

I made mine from stucco lath, that nasty expanded sheet metal with a galvanized finish. It comes a perfect 27" wide and I cut it to 28" long. The 2 sides were edged in drywall corner bead, pop riveted in place. I offset folded it a couple time to get over and back 2 ribs in front of the radiator. Painted it black. No great shakes but only cost around 9 bucks. The Lowe's doggie screen guard would be way easier.

But the bonus was the extra material that I cut 10"x10", folded in half, and riveted it over the fresh air duct intakes to keep out larger flying vermin.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #51

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I did mine using a screen door Pet Guard from Lowes Hardware (around $15). Had to bend a couple of the mounting arms on the screen but other than that it fit with just four holes drilled. See picture.

Doc
Is that where your windshield washer fluid reservoir is located, or did you leave the cap on the cross member? The reservoir on our Windsport K27 is not very easy to fill, off to the side where it's located. Nice job on the screening.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #52
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Is that where your windshield washer fluid reservoir is located, or did you leave the cap on the cross member? The reservoir on our Windsport K27 is not very easy to fill, off to the side where it's located. Nice job on the screening.
Yes that is where the washer reservoir is located on Axis/Vegas units.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #53

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We followed DOCMIKE's lead with the screen door guard.

Was easy to install (holes are already in the frame) and has worked for a year now
Old 08-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #54

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I find it hard to believe that the manufacturer of the RV didn't provide protection to the radiator(s). A grill/screen is just common sense.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #55

State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Radiator protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude28 View Post
Hi everyone, I used the aluminium metal sheet you can buy at Lowes for my Axis 2015. It looks great and it was easy to make and install. Here are a few pictures:
Attachment 1148

Attachment 1149

Attachment 1150

Not sure if this work.... if not, I'll try something else.
Hello claude28, I was looking for a solution to road debris going into the radiator and seen your solution. It looks great. I hope it worked without any overheating issues. I have a coupe questions on how to attached the 1 inch wide 10 inch long strip to the fiberglass under the plastic chrome. Did you have to drill holes through the fiberglass? I feel like I am not getting exactly how it is fastened. I appreciate your help and patience.
Thank you,
Chucke
Old 12-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #56
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hello claude28, I was looking for a solution to road debris going into the radiator and seen your solution. It looks great. I hope it
Thank you,
Chucke

Many of us used screen door protectors (the type you use to keep your dog from ruining a door) … Ron attached the protector directly to the radiator cowling..at the top...he sez it fit snug enough that he did not have to do any work to the bottom. It has served us well. I would post photos, however, our Axis is under cover at this time.

K and Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #57

THOR #3483
Radiator Protection

No air flow issues (overheating) with the expanded aluminum I installed.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #58

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2311
Hi Chucke, I have no issues at all. The grid I installed 3 years ago is still perfectly in place. To answer your question: I removed the plastic chrome, then I took the 1 inch aluminium strap (10 inches long) and I just rolled them around the fiberglass; I used 1 trap at each extremity of the fiberglass. When you roll the aluminium strap (same as you would roll a piece of tape) around the fiberglass; you can use a piece of tape to keep it in place otherwise, it will unroll itself. Then in order to mount the grid, you drill the aluminium strap in the middle where it is behind the fiberglass (it is empty there), so it does not damage anything. By using metal screws, you can then fasten the grid to the aluminium straps, and trust me, it does not move. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #59

THOR #5494
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I now understand now how you were able to do it. I am glad to hear there hasn't been any issues. I am going to attempt to ad the radiator screens as you did. I have not had a problem with rocks or road debris hitting any of the radiators but you never know and the openings are sort of large. Again thank you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! After I complete I will post a pic or 2. You guys are a great help.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #60

THOR #5494
Hello everyone, I have completed the protection in front of the radiator thanks to all of you. Now our Lowe’s did not have and sheets or aluminum over 3 feet so I wasn’t able to farm it up like claude28. I bought the pet screen protector and could not make it fit to my liking. I cut the frame off of it and modified the bottom so l can get to the reservoir. I also made 4 aluminum brackets and bolted it in place. I did use a few plastic wire ties and the put wire loom on the bottom because of the sharp edges. Any way I can’t thank you all enough for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C77C3A4E-A114-47CA-832C-B82CF88198C4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	14822