Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #13286
We’re did you get the 1” aluminum strapping at.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #62

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2311
radiator protection

Hi there, I just bought a piece of aluminum sheet at Lowes and I cut it in pieces 1inch by 10 inches long. Good luck with your project
Old 09-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #63
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
The following is our post of March 2016, regarding this subject...go back to page two on this thread to see what those of us who bought our Axis/Vegas units 4 or so years ago managed to do with this issue.

...Ron installed Lowes screen guard, having read the posts regarding protecting the radiator and oil cooler.

our photo of installed screen guard as well photos by others is in that location.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #64

State: Florida
THOR #18686
Warranty issues for radiator grill adds??

I just drove up from Florida to Maine in Vegas 27.7 . I hit several large swarms of love bugs that literally covered the front of the coach. I know from experience you have to wash these things off fast (preferably same day) or they eat into the paint. I was unprepared for the plastering of these things on my radiator. very hard to remove without bending the fragile fins on radiator. Just used low pressure water spray from different angles and after a while got rid of most of them...not sure how many got buried deeper into the radiator. I like some of the ideas on this thread but am really concerned about overheating and potential warranty issues from air blockage. Really poor design because you can't help but pickup bugs and rocks and road debris with grill openings this large. I appreciate all the posts for solutions. The love bug issue pretty much disappeared after Georgia but I did hit a massive swarm of bees which got plastered up against the radiator as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor grill.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	23783  
Old 05-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #65

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Radiator Protection

Never came close to any cooling problems with the expanded aluminum I installed. I wouldn't worry about warranty problems with it.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #66

THOR #2311
Radiator protection

I have had my radiator protection for a number of years, and I never had any issues.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:49 AM   #67

THOR #8849
when we got our 24.1 I used the same set up as Claude28. no issues, good piece of mind, couple of dents from rocks. It is a very good set up!
Rick
Old 06-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #68

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave de Graffenreid View Post
I installed home depot screen guard, Works great.
Hi there - did this solution work in the long term? We are starting to look at alternatives.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #69

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbjimb View Post
I just drove up from Florida to Maine in Vegas 27.7 . I hit several large swarms of love bugs that literally covered the front of the coach. I know from experience you have to wash these things off fast (preferably same day) or they eat into the paint. I was unprepared for the plastering of these things on my radiator. very hard to remove without bending the fragile fins on radiator. Just used low pressure water spray from different angles and after a while got rid of most of them...not sure how many got buried deeper into the radiator. I like some of the ideas on this thread but am really concerned about overheating and potential warranty issues from air blockage. Really poor design because you can't help but pickup bugs and rocks and road debris with grill openings this large. I appreciate all the posts for solutions. The love bug issue pretty much disappeared after Georgia but I did hit a massive swarm of bees which got plastered up against the radiator as well.
Love bugs are the reason I used Fiberglas screen over my grill. Cheap, fast and last a few years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	24371
Old 06-26-2020, 12:06 AM   #70

THOR #8849
This has worked well for 3 years. This has included many gravel construction zones during our trip last year through BC!
Rick
Old 06-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #71
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Love bugs are the reason I used Fiberglas screen over my grill. Cheap, fast and last a few years.

Attachment 24371
I attached the fiberglass screen behind the grill on my ACE. Still going strong.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #72

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
We decided to use the approach that you described and we just finished installing it.
Thank you for the excellent description!