Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Axis 25.6 dashboard loose

Hi, the dashboard in my 2021 Axis 25.6 has completely disconnected from the RV chassis on the passenger side after only a few months. I had the rig in for warranty, but unfortunately the shop didn't fix it because they're waiting on screw covers from Thor and I needed it back for a trip [couldn't they have at least put the screws in while they waited??]

So now I am going to attempt to fix it myself - does anybody have advice on how the dash is connected? I would also like to reinforce it if at all possible - shop says it holds 'zero' weight, but unfortunately my 70lb german shepherd loves to lie up there when we're parked and he's on look out... Probably what broke it in the first place.

Any advice on securing the dash and eliminating the accompanying rattles would be greatly appreciated - going coast-to-coast and back in a couple weeks!

Thanks, Vic

Old 09-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have pulled off the central dash instrument section that holds the Axxera radio/camera display on my 2021 Axis 24.1 so I can tell you how to at least get that far. I haven't done any further removal.

You start by removing the black rubber insert and unscrewing the two screws that hold the top cover in place. The cover slides back and out with the screws removed. Then reach inside and there are two screws towards the front that holds the top of the central panel in place at the top. Just loosen them a dozen turns as they fit in a slot and will pull forward if loosened.

The radio is held in place with some sort of bracket that attaches to screws on either side. I am waiting for Thor to send me a replacement bracket as all that was left of mine was a tab on the driver's side. Someone busted it during installation or subsequent dealer repair before I bought the unit. Once I get it I will know how it attaches to the radio and will post more about it.

Then look underneath right above the dog house and there are two screws in the bottom of this panel that attach to the the main dash panel. After you unscrew these the whole dark brown instrument panel will pull forward. To remove it you would have to disconnect a dozen cables and I haven't needed to do that. But you shouldn't either in order to remove the passenger side dash.

With that central panel pulled forward you should be able to find attachments for the rest of the dash in the middle. Look for other attachments outboard of these.

Good luck!

David
Old 09-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Suggest you remove the flip desk and the plasttray under it. Cut the tabs in the plywood to remove thar access to the chassis battery. You'll need to do all that someday anyway. I used a multi tool to plunge cut the tabsthen attached some flat brackets to hold the part you cut out. Some used hinges.

Perhaps you'll learn what holds the dash up under there.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
First, thanks for the replies.

The suggestion on taking out the foldout tray was genius - good access to the entire passenger side. There were 2 wood screws put in at an angle that missed lower plywood they were supposed to attach to. I took the stables out of the dash covering, peeled it back, and put a half-dozen wood screws straight down to connect the two wood sections.

That fixed a lot of the movement, but there is still some at the corner near the windshield. In looking underneath, I am still perplexed at how it's supposed to attach. The box in the passenger footwell that houses the speaker, outlet, and cup holder is also loose. It looks like Thor just blasted 5 or so screws through the box and into the side wall - they have worked there way out with wood vibration as I would think they would - seems like a really crappy way of connecting things. I'm wondering if some kind of contstruction glue might be better?

I have an appt at a repair shop where I'm waiting on parts from Thor, so I may wait to do more until I bring the RV back and see what they say... Here's a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	33965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	33966  

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	33967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	33968  

Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I ended up going thru the front and stuffed soft ply-able styrofoam between the two plywood sheets to eliminate a rattle around the edges.
The edge was rubbing against the fiberglass.

My fix seemed to all but eliminate the squeaking noises.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
One more thing…

The plastic front window pillars seem to separate from the front side window frames while on long stretches of bad, bumpy road.

So I have spent time removing the side window screws, sliding the plastic pillar back into place, then re-tightening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9D3A19A7-6496-4EFB-96DA-D05D9B90C296.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	33969  

Tags
axis, dashboard