Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #2992
AXIS Battery/Radio power update.

All,
Thank you to all of you that posted your thoughts/ input on this issue.
Greatly appreciated!
Now, I had remembered I installed a knife switch on the chassis battery shortly after purchasing the AXIS. A few minutes ago I went out to the AXIS and opened the knife switch on the chassis battery. I went into the AXIS with shore power unplugged but with the house switch in the on position. I pushed the radio on button and nothing happened. The radio was dead. I went back out and closed the knife switch. I then pushed the radio button and the radio came alive.
Now I am pretty sure this is not correct. Now, I was armed with enough information to call Thor and speak to them about this.
Within just a few minutes I had Tom at Thor on the phone who informed me that he is positive someone rewired the radio. That the chassis battery have not powered their radios since 2013. He also said that both the radio memory and operations come off just the house batteries only. But what he said next was surprising to me.
He said that you do not turn off the house power switch unless you are putting the RV into storage. By leaving the house power on the radio receives a trickle of power to maintain radio memory.
That is the first time anyone has ever stated tome to leave the house battery power all the time.
His advice was to take it back and have the dealer repair the wiring. He also said that the power wires, red and yellow, should be wired back to the converter.
All makes a good bit of sense now. The AXIS is scheduled into Golden Gait for repair work early next week.
That is all for now. Would like to hear about leaving the house switch in the on position all the time though. Seems goofy to me. Kinda gives a new meaning to the words "hot house."
Thank, again, everybody!
UP4306

Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We leave the use/store switch in "use" all the time except when it is in storage. If not the house battery never gets charged (and it really isn't that "hot": only 12V).

Granted, in our case, when it isn't in storage it is either driving or plugged in--we rarely, if ever dry camp (other than overnight at a rest stop now and then).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
It's either in storage... being prepped for a trip... being driven... or camping... So guess the house switch is on when not in storage...

But... leaving the house switch on WITHOUT shore power for more than a few days (and no other means of charging - solar, etc) will drain the house batteries...
The radio is a small draw.. Add in the CO/LP detector, fridge controls (unless off), furnace blower (unless off), any 12v electronics in standby (or worse on...) any lights you might have left on...

I know I can dry camp for 3-4 days... I know leaving it in the driveway for a week without shore power was too long..