Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #25260
1.5 amp drain?

The patient: 2015 ACE 30.1. FLA deep cycle battery.

The symptom: The battery doesn't last very long while 'off grid' (< 24 hours). Using my Horrible Fright VOM set to the 0- 10 amps DC mode I measure about 1.5 amps with all lights/appliances off (switch in 'use' position).

This seems high to me and it would explain the short battery life when not plugged in or running the generator. I pulled the fuse for the LP/CO monitor - no change, still about 1.5 amps draw. The only other thing that I assume would be drawing a small amount of current is the radio memory. But that shouldn't be 1.5 amps.

Am I correct that 1.5 amps is unusually high with all lights/appliances off? If so, what are the usual suspects to investigate?

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
At the house DC fuse panel, pull each fuse one by one, checking your ammeter after each one. You should see the drop when you find the offending circuit.

If no change, look at wires connected directly to the house battery.

Also, the radio memory should be connected to the chassis battery, while the main radio power is connected to the house battery... otherwise you'd be reprogramming stations every time you disconnected your house batteries.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
The patient: 2015 ACE 30.1. FLA deep cycle battery.

The symptom: The battery doesn't last very long while 'off grid' (< 24 hours). Using my Horrible Fright VOM set to the 0- 10 amps DC mode I measure about 1.5 amps with all lights/appliances off (switch in 'use' position).

This seems high to me and it would explain the short battery life when not plugged in or running the generator. I pulled the fuse for the LP/CO monitor - no change, still about 1.5 amps draw. The only other thing that I assume would be drawing a small amount of current is the radio memory. But that shouldn't be 1.5 amps.

Am I correct that 1.5 amps is unusually high with all lights/appliances off? If so, what are the usual suspects to investigate?
I assume you are talking about the HOUSE battery(s)?

You will always have control power to the Fridge, Furnace, Water Heater and Thermostat but I believe they should only add up to about .5 amp - pull the APPLIANCES fuse to check.
No USB devices plugged in/charging?
No storage compartment lights on?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:48 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #25260
Yes, "house" battery.

I did remember one item: the TireMinder TPMS has a 'signal booster' that I connected to a 12V power supply in a bedroom closet light. When I disconnected that the draw went down to ~ 0.75 amps. Perhaps I should find a switched power source so it only is powered on when we're driving. Or add a switch for the booster.

I'll pull the 12V fuses as advised above. Might be next week before I can get my trusted assistant to watch the meter while I go inside to yank the fuses.

2015 ACE 30.1, 2017 RAV4, 1999 F250, 1991 Honda ST1100, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1961 MGA
ghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:03 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
0.75 amps is what I get with my 2021 Axis. I can reduce that by 0.2A if I turn off the outside switch on the Girard water heater.

I measured the current while I pulled each fuse. The only thing where I saw a significant drop was the circuit that powers the electronic switching module to the BMPro system, about 1/3 amp. I assume that is unavoidable.

The parasitic current does drop to a bit less than 0.1A with the battery switch off.

David