Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis model 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #24368
Axis Battery Replacement

On the chassis battery, how did you replace it? I have a Axis 25.2 and I can't seem to get to the battery in order to replace it.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Several dozen threads on chassis battery replacement on Axis/Vegas.
Most go through the board below the desk assembly; some go through the passenger wheel well. In either case it's not as easy as a car battery replacement.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Like 16ACE27 said above, the easiest way to change the chassis battery is to go down through tl need to reinstall that wooden he top of the dashboard.

Remove all the screws holding the folding desk assembly and remove it like in the attached picture. You'll see a wooden piece partially cut out of the dash. Finish cutting this piece and remove it. You'll see the battery below the cutout.

After you change the battery you'll need to reinstall that wooden piece -- tape it, or use clips and screws, or whatever will hold the panel in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	38891  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:25 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
On my previous Vegas 25.2 I did precisely what forum guru Ed suggested. I intended to reattach the severed panel with hinges, but instead went with 4 metal plates from the home improvement store. I used some stick on weatherstripping around the panel.

Be sure you access Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Vegas and Axis. Find it as a sticky under Tech Topics on this site.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:07 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #31490
I don't think this is any help on my 2022. I think the battery and oil cap are on the other side?
Old 12-23-2023, 03:55 AM   #6

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I don't think this is any help on my 2022. I think the battery and oil cap are on the other side?
Not unless Ford completely reversed the battery location, as well as the fuse box, coolant fill, etc. My 2021 with the new V8 chassis is exactly as described above. Been that way for every Axis ever built.

David
Old 12-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Our 22 Axis battery is under the dash as shown above.....on the passenger side.
The oil filler cap is on the driver side.

I am fairly tall at 6'2" and that battery is just about at my arms length limit down in the dash. At 1st sign of battery trouble, we will find a strong, young, long armed young person to replace it with a gel battery and install a set of remote terminals at the front of the engine.

I have not explored the next option yet, but believe it could work. By removing the front passenger tire and then removing the wheel well molding, I think the battery could be accessed. Our 2022 model has a fairly rigid, somewhat molded wheel liner that looks to be able to come out in one piece. Even if older models of Axis/Vegas could be removed with the wheel still in place, it looks as if ours will need to be removed. Your experience may be somewhat different depending on how consistent Thor is in assembling each coach. I have seen things posted about and our coach is often slightly different. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #8

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Happy:

Your OEM Is chassis battery may be an AGM. I read somewhere that Ford had recently switched to AGMs.

Anyone know for sure?

David
Old 12-23-2023, 05:45 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Several dozen threads on chassis battery replacement on Axis/Vegas.
Most go through the board below the desk assembly; some go through the passenger wheel well. In either case it's not as easy as a car battery replacement.
You apparently have never seen the battery placement in a 2010 - 2014 Chrysler 200. The battery is located in the left front fender in front of the wheel. You have to remove the tire and the fender liner to get to the battery.

See:

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:59 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
And people wonder why commercial Ford dealers literally vomit and charge triple labor rates when a Class A rolls into service write-up. I've seen nearly entire rear bedroom disassembly just to reach the engine on some DP's. Crazy!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:03 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I bought a daytime running lamp bulb ($60) for a previous CTS we had. YouTube video says...remove front tire and fender liner..remove front grill assembly...remove front light assembly...all just to get to tje back of it to replace the bulb. I pulled the fuse and still have the bulb...2 Cadillacs later.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:27 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Davidem, our house batteries are AGM, but I have only pulled our dash to take a look at the chassis battery location. There was some wiring that stopped me from digging in for a better view. Also, my back ain't what it used to be.
I also have read that some of the newer coaches from Thor are all AGM.

If so that would be nice.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:53 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Our 22 Axis battery is under the dash as shown above.....on the passenger side.
The oil filler cap is on the driver side.

I am fairly tall at 6'2" and that battery is just about at my arms length limit down in the dash. At 1st sign of battery trouble, we will find a strong, young, long armed young person to replace it with a gel battery and install a set of remote terminals at the front of the engine.

I have not explored the next option yet, but believe it could work. By removing the front passenger tire and then removing the wheel well molding, I think the battery could be accessed. Our 2022 model has a fairly rigid, somewhat molded wheel liner that looks to be able to come out in one piece. Even if older models of Axis/Vegas could be removed with the wheel still in place, it looks as if ours will need to be removed. Your experience may be somewhat different depending on how consistent Thor is in assembling each coach. I have seen things posted about and our coach is often slightly different. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.
Hello, Campers Inn in Madison AL did precisely what you described; by removing the front passenger tire and then removing the wheel well molding, they accessed and removed the OEM flooded cell lead acid battery with an AGM sealed unit, since adding water to a flooded cell battery is a PITA.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:53 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Change Chassis Battery on Axis 25.2 video

We also have an Axis 25.2
perhaps you'll find this instruction video useful...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=1
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote