Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2017, 04:26 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,367
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Do you have a part no. for the Bauer replacement?
I share your and other's feeling about this problem.
TIA
10-4. Let me research my invoices to see what I can find. My local RV service shop did it for us.

__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,367
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Do you have a part no. for the Bauer replacement?
I share your and other's feeling about this problem.
TIA
BP-12RV | Bauer Products My service center's invoice did not list the actual part number but this has got to be what they installed. My old Tri-Mark was falling apart and I was afraid we were going to be locked in or out.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,367
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
BP-12RV | Bauer Products My service center's invoice did not list the actual part number but this has got to be what they installed. My old Tri-Mark was falling apart and I was afraid we were going to be locked in or out.
There was one difference with it that had to be addressed. The latch handle on the inside was a bit narrower as far as putting your fingers behind it to close the door. The service center added a "pull" handle to it which means that the clear plastic slider on the screen door has to stay open when closing both of them because the new handle sticks out a bit more. It does make it easier to grab the door latch though.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 1,232
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
How come in 2014-2015 Winnebago and Trimark had a NTSH recall because "people could be locked in the coach or locked out of the coach" due to a faulty deadbolt, but THOR doesn't do anything?
Good question Mike. Maybe there is a legal beagle or savvy person on the forum with a defective lock that can pursue getting a good replacement. Trimark charging for a fix it kit does not set well with me.
__________________
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
There was one difference with it that had to be addressed. The latch handle on the inside was a bit narrower as far as putting your fingers behind it to close the door. The service center added a "pull" handle to it which means that the clear plastic slider on the screen door has to stay open when closing both of them because the new handle sticks out a bit more. It does make it easier to grab the door latch though.
Did the clear plastic peace need to be modified (I know someone did that, can't remember if it was you) or just left open? I assume if you then want to use the screen, then you open the door and then close the plastic part on the screen door?
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 9,730
THOR #7035
I don't understand the need for a pull handle on the lock. The main and screen doors are hooked together when it's time to close the main door. I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

installed on the screen door and always use that to close the doors together.
__________________
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,367
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I don't understand the need for a pull handle on the lock. The main and screen doors are hooked together when it's time to close the main door. I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

installed on the screen door and always use that to close the doors together.
Yes, I considered putting one of those on the screen door. I even bought one. Didn't install it because I didn't like the idea of continually using a light screen door to pull close the main heavy door, trusting that the light screen door latch will always stay attached to the main exterior door.
Yes, I slide the clear plastic panel on the screen door open when the two doors are together. I have only almost smashed it once.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
petew's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 292
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Good question Mike. Maybe there is a legal beagle or savvy person on the forum with a defective lock that can pursue getting a good replacement. Trimark charging for a fix it kit does not set well with me.
Just got off the phone with a Thor customer service rep .
We discussed the lock issue of which she was aware . What she told me is "if it breaks Thor will replace free of charge"
I explained to her the potential dangers here if there was a fire during the night
and that lock broke .
I further advised her that apparently Winnebago was replacing those locks before they broke and asked if Thor would do the same .
She said no , they will only replace them if they break.

She was then kind enough to remind me of the emergency exit (window)at the rear of the coach which could be used in case of fire.

I am a retired cop and over my 33 year career I saw bodies lying by locked doors after a fire , killed because they were trapped and could not get out.

I will pay the $141.00 to protect myself and my family but shame on Thor for not being willing to do the right thing.

Pete
__________________
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 195
THOR #4359
Thor replaced my first Tri-mark lock but after the second one broke ...enough is enough..

This should be a recall

By the way the keys are so alike they open other locks.
If you want more security have it rekeyed...
__________________
Tom and Jen
2015 ACE 29.3
Mousemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,475
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I agree with you 100 % but at this point I am only interested in making a potentially dangerous or even deadly situation safe.
It's $140.00 plus extra keys (originals will no longer work ) and shipping costs .
They should give me the parts for free and be thankful that I am willing to provide the labor.
I imagine if this involved a current production car then there would be a recall .
I will feel much better with the new parts installed no matter the cost.
You are right... I will order the parts when I get home. It is too important not to do...
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
petew's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 292
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
That's why it is so expensive. They won't just sell you the defective slide. Doesn't give me a warm feeling for a company that builds a defective part that can lock you inside - a giant safety hazard - and then charge $140 to replace it. The people who have had problems should report them to the NTSB who is the only one who can get the company to replace all of their defective door latches before someone gets hurt.
More time on the phone today.
After being blown off by Thor I started to do the slow burn which resulted in my doing a little research.

It is not the NTSB that looks into these things but rather the NHTSH, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I called them and explained the problem and they said that they would be happy to entertain a complaint .
It meets their criteria as a safety hazard but they cannot take the complaint from me because my latch did not break.

So if one of you folks that has experienced being trapped inside or outside of your coach wants to make a complaint they will take it and investigate it.

I would urge someone to do this , it may save a life.

NHTSH phone # is 888-327-4236 , any of the representatives can take your complaint.
__________________
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 195
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
More time on the phone today.
After being blown off by Thor I started to do the slow burn which resulted in my doing a little research.

It is not the NTSB that looks into these things but rather the NHTSH, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I called them and explained the problem and they said that they would be happy to entertain a complaint .
It meets their criteria as a safety hazard but they cannot take the complaint from me because my latch did not break.

So if one of you folks that has experienced being trapped inside or outside of your coach wants to make a complaint they will take it and investigate it.

I would urge someone to do this , it may save a life.

NHTSH phone # is 888-327-4236 , any of the representatives can take your complaint.
I will definitely give them a call ..... four times being locked out I think counts.... thank you for the info
__________________
Tom and Jen
2015 ACE 29.3
Mousemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
petew's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 292
THOR #5374
Excellent sir , hopefully others will join you .
When making the call I believe it would be important to stress to them that you could have been locked in.
__________________
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
glamperjan's Avatar
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 135
THOR #7430
My lock is terrible on my Thor chateau. Have to shove my shoulder in to get it to lock. The rectangular throw seems to not line up into the slot. Dealer said it was good that it's so hard to shut because that means it's sealing well. I think it's a design flaw.
__________________
glamperjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Travato 59G
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,512
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
My lock is terrible on my Thor chateau. Have to shove my shoulder in to get it to lock. The rectangular throw seems to not line up into the slot. Dealer said it was good that it's so hard to shut because that means it's sealing well. I think it's a design flaw.


But it's pretty easy to fix this so that it works better. You can adjust the position of the lock on the door or since I agree with the dealer that a tightly closed door is better (rattles less) you can file a slight bevel on the edge of the bolt so that it starts into the strike plate more readily and then pulls he door tight. I still have to push my door in while locking it but not nearly so much as before. Don't know how old your coach is but it also seems to be getting easier with time, perhaps as the seals compress.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
glamperjan's Avatar
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 135
THOR #7430
I always have to push my shoulder into the top of the lock in order to turn the top key to lock cannot unlock it from the inside either have to pull the door real close to the steps so the slide can clear the whole. It's a poor design but I guess it keeps the water out when it's sealed that tight. I just try to use the deadbolt but when traveling I have to lock both because the door squeaks like crazy if it's not locked. Good luck
__________________
glamperjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,025
THOR #4687
Ok, maybe a dumb question here. Is the lock "snapping" just the deadbolt, or also the smaller lock?

What would happen if you only locked the smaller lock?

We travel with three furry kids and don't want them to get stuck inside with us on the outside.
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,475
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Ok, maybe a dumb question here. Is the lock "snapping" just the deadbolt, or also the smaller lock?

What would happen if you only locked the smaller lock?

We travel with three furry kids and don't want them to get stuck inside with us on the outside.
Based on the picture in post #1, it is the main lock not the throw bolt.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
petew's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 292
THOR #5374
New latch came and it has a steel bolt .
I plan to install it tomorrow and have a close look at the old one to see if it shows any signs of failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	6407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4240.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	6408  

__________________
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #60
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 11
THOR #5545
New lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
New latch came and it has a steel bolt .
I plan to install it tomorrow and have a close look at the old one to see if it shows any signs of failure.
Where did u get new lock n what part no. Did u order. Lazy days couldn't find with part no. Trimark gave me. I had to order directly from Trimark, although lazy days said they would refund me. I told Trimark the the die cast alloy model should have been a recall n the know since they discontinued.
__________________
Pwstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2