Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
New latch came and it has a steel bolt .
I plan to install it tomorrow and have a close look at the old one to see if it shows any signs of failure.
Please post your source for the new lock with the steel bolt, I'm sure a lot of members would like to change theirs, including me!

Old 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #62

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwstick View Post
Where did u get new lock n what part no. Did u order. Lazy days couldn't find with part no. Trimark gave me. I had to order directly from Trimark, although lazy days said they would refund me. I told Trimark the the die cast alloy model should have been a recall n the know since they discontinued.
Go to post #27 in this thread and you will see the details of the part numbers
Old 08-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #63

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
New latch came and it has a steel bolt .
I plan to install it tomorrow and have a close look at the old one to see if it shows any signs of failure.
How did the install go?

I hate to say it, but kind of waiting on your report before I order.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #64

THOR #5374
Just finished my yard work , the rv lock is next on the list .

Stay tuned ...
Old 08-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #65

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwstick View Post
Where did u get new lock n what part no. Did u order. Lazy days couldn't find with part no. Trimark gave me. I had to order directly from Trimark, although lazy days said they would refund me. I told Trimark the the die cast alloy model should have been a recall n the know since they discontinued.
For Pwstick. If you had your lock fail, please call the number below and report it. That is the only way we will get these recalled simthat people do not continually get locked in or out of their RVs.

More time on the phone today.
After being blown off by Thor I started to do the slow burn which resulted in my doing a little research.

It is not the NTSB that looks into these things but rather the NHTSH, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I called them and explained the problem and they said that they would be happy to entertain a complaint .
It meets their criteria as a safety hazard but they cannot take the complaint from me because my latch did not break.

So if one of you folks that has experienced being trapped inside or outside of your coach wants to make a complaint they will take it and investigate it.

I would urge someone to do this , it may save a life.

NHTSH phone # is 888-327-4236 , any of the representatives can take your complaint.
I will definitely give them a call ..... four times being locked out I think counts.... thank you for the info
Old 08-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #66

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
For Pwstick. If you had your lock fail, please call the number below and report it. That is the only way we will get these recalled simthat people do not continually get locked in or out of their RVs.

After being blown off by Thor I started to do the slow burn which resulted in my doing a little research.

It is not the NTSB that looks into these things but rather the NHTSH, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I called them and explained the problem and they said that they would be happy to entertain a complaint .
It meets their criteria as a safety hazard but they cannot take the complaint from me because my latch did not break.

So if one of you folks that has experienced being trapped inside or outside of your coach wants to make a complaint they will take it and investigate it.

NHTSH phone # is 888-327-4236 , any of the representatives can take your complaint.
I will definitely give them a call ..... four times being locked out I think counts.... thank you for the info
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #67

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post

I would call, but our lock hasn't attacked us (yet)
Old 08-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #68

THOR #5374
Just finished the lock swap. it went well , did find out that it was installed using 4 out of the 5 screws required.
Could be one was loose and fell out , could be it was never installed when the rig was built.
Anyway a couple of minor adjustments , a dab of grease and it works very well.

Instead of zinc hitting the steel latch receiver it's steel on steel and it actually sounds different.

Checked out the old assembly and didn't find any indications of pending doom immediately visible.
With that said zinc is weak and brittle and tends to go all at once. I also didn't completely disassemble the latch to inspect .
Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 AM   #69

THOR #4687
Quote:
Just finished the lock swap. it went well , did find out that it was installed using 4 out of the 5 screws required.
Could be one was loose and fell out , could be it was never installed when the rig was built.
Anyway a couple of minor adjustments , a dab of grease and it works very well.

Instead of zinc hitting the steel latch receiver it's steel on steel and it actually sounds different.

Checked out the old assembly and didn't find any indications of pending doom immediately visible.
With that said zinc is weak and brittle and tends to go all at once. I also didn't completely disassemble the latch to inspect .
Can you tell any difference in shutting/opening? Or, just 150.00 piece of mind?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #70

THOR #5374
I absolutely did it for the peace of mind, don't think I could have closed my eyes at night if I hadn't changed that lock.

I did do a little adjusting so the door does open and close more smoothly.
Can't say for sure if the smoother action is due to the new lock or the adjustments or both.

Bottom line is that hopefully I have saved us from having to experience the drama of a broken lock.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 PM   #71

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
THOR #1488
Just got off the phone with NSTSH and filed my complaint. Now I just have to decide which replacement latch mechanism to replace it with, it will not be the same lock. At least if I do replace with another Trimark it will be the steel latch one.
Might go with the electric type so anyone care to share how their replacements are working. Thanks, Jim.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #72

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
I filed a complaint online.
So glad ours broke in our driveway, if it had to break at all.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #73

THOR #1488
Ordered the Bauer electric lock this morning so hoping it is good, reviews on Amazon were mostly good. Appears this one will fit in the existing hole so that is a big plus, maybe a little trim but doesn't look like much if necessary. I will get back after I see how every thing goes. Jim.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #74

THOR #1488
Put the Bauer electric door lock in and works fine. The latch is also made of zinc but the design is different and looks to me that it is a lot stronger piece. Didn't have to do any trimming as it fit perfectly in the existing hole. Now will just have to wait and see how long it works. Jim.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #75

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
This forum is a lifesaver

I'm so glad I regularly follow the postings on this forum. During our evacuation from Hurricane Irma with my DH, two dogs, and 92 year young Mom I was trapped insde the ACE with the dogs and my DH and Mom outside. We had just arrived (Sat) at our third relocation since our evacuation adventure began as Irma kept chasing us across the state. The MH was not locked, but the lock mechanism snapped and was frozen shut. My DH was in a panic and ran for the park handyman, who wanted to drill out the lock. I remembered reading this thread describing how to disassemble the lock. Said no to the drill out and calmey collected the spare tools kept inside and proceeded to take the lock screws out and pulled off the cover. The zinc had broken, picked out the pieces and used a needle nose to pull, pry, and release the stuck lock. Put it all back together again so we could use the deadbolt. The deadbolt gave up the ghost today--just two days later, so I cannot secure the door or drive the MH if I needed to get to a safer place. First thing on Monday I called over to Bauer and asked for help; they were absolutly terrific and I arranged with Bauer to get an upgrade replacement shipped next day. I should have it tomorrow. I will contact Thor and the appropriate national agency. If Irma had turned west instead of east I would not have been able to move to a safer location. Thanks to the forum, and this thread, I knew what to do to get the door open and sorta operational.

Any hints on making the install of the Bauer go smoothly?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #76

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
What's a DH?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #77

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
What's a DH?

Dear husband. DW is dear wife.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #78

THOR #1488
"Any hints on making the install of the Bauer go smoothly?"

Very easy, fit perfect all I had to do was bolt it in. Our MH is also a 2015 ACE and there was no way to remove the old striker plate without removing the door frame trim. The striker plates are the same so just left the old one in place. Jim.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #79

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Ordered the Bauer electric lock this morning so hoping it is good, reviews on Amazon were mostly good. Appears this one will fit in the existing hole so that is a big plus, maybe a little trim but doesn't look like much if necessary. I will get back after I see how every thing goes. Jim.
Hey Jim, thanks for updating the install details. How about part numbers? There appear to be at least a couple of models. Thx, Gary
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #80

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
Yes, please share the part numbers. I have a nasty habit of always ordering the wrong thing (and then hearing about it)