Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8351
Hello there.
I determined that the lock on my Axis broke with the previous owner and they replaced the outside piece with the newer model 060-1650. It still has the zinc parts. I can see the screws were a little stripped. Has anyone had issues with the 060-1650 with zinc parts?
Also, if I do decide to replace, I am thinking the Bauer EM. Has anyone replaced with that and does it fit nicely? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #142

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I spent the morning removing the inside plate from MH door lock assembly. Mine has the part #29412 07J. I talked with TriMark and the lady there said this lock assembly was involved in a recall a couple years ago.
Hi, how'd this work out for you through your dealership? Wondering if I should try and take my lock assembly off myself to check the part #. I'm out of my 12 month warranty period (took mine off the lot Dec 2016) maybe I should just foot the bill for my lock to be replaced but if it is a recall it might be gratis;-) Nancy
Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #143

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwalp View Post
Hello there.
I determined that the lock on my Axis broke with the previous owner and they replaced the outside piece with the newer model 060-1650. It still has the zinc parts. I can see the screws were a little stripped. Has anyone had issues with the 060-1650 with zinc parts?
Also, if I do decide to replace, I am thinking the Bauer EM. Has anyone replaced with that and does it fit nicely? Thanks in advance.
When I saw the design of the zinc latch mechanism I decided to go with a different company and decided on the Bauer, I think it is the EM. The Bauer web site gives the size of the door cut out needed and one model matches the existing hole. The lock fit the hole perfectly and the striker plate is identical to the of one except a better finish. I just left the old striker plate in place. The decals had been trimmed to fit the old lock which has a slightly bigger footprint on the outside of the door. If it bothered me I could run some silicone around to cover the gap but it isn't really noticeable.
After about 9 months it does not lock using the key pad, it still unlocks fine and I have a key hidden outside for emergencies. Haven't contacted Bauer yet but should, still quite happy with this lock. Jim.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #144
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
When I saw the design of the zinc latch mechanism I decided to go with a different company and decided on the Bauer, I think it is the EM. The Bauer web site gives the size of the door cut out needed and one model matches the existing hole. The lock fit the hole perfectly and the striker plate is identical to the of one except a better finish. I just left the old striker plate in place. The decals had been trimmed to fit the old lock which has a slightly bigger footprint on the outside of the door. If it bothered me I could run some silicone around to cover the gap but it isn't really noticeable.
After about 9 months it does not lock using the key pad, it still unlocks fine and I have a key hidden outside for emergencies. Haven't contacted Bauer yet but should, still quite happy with this lock. Jim.
Silly question: Did you replace the batteries? (looks like the EM takes 4 AA batteries)

The non-keypad model of the Bauer also fits right in (as you can see from my photos in this thread).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #145

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Hi, how'd this work out for you through your dealership? Wondering if I should try and take my lock assembly off myself to check the part #. I'm out of my 12 month warranty period (took mine off the lot Dec 2016) maybe I should just foot the bill for my lock to be replaced but if it is a recall it might be gratis;-) Nancy
Hi Nancy,

The dealer or Thor had no interest in replacing the lock. I still have the original, I just very seldom use the dead bolt since I store at home. And mine has the Zinc dead bolt latch so I am figuring when I need it most it will break.

Sam
Old 05-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #146

THOR #1249
After installing the Bauer lock, I noticed that there was not enough room for my fat fingers between the screen opening and the door pull. Found a door pull that would fit and present a good handle to close the door. Was an easy install with just a couple of holes to drill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7178.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	10343
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #147

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
After installing the Bauer lock, I noticed that there was not enough room for my fat fingers between the screen opening and the door pull. Found a door pull that would fit and present a good handle to close the door. Was an easy install with just a couple of holes to drill.

Attachment 10343
Exactly what we did. Good job. A better lock all the way around.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 AM   #148

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
Did you have an issue with the latch spring to strong making the door hard to close if so what did you do

PS I like the hand of idea I think I’ll try to
Old 05-21-2018, 03:45 AM   #149

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Mine has come loose twice and refused to open the first time. Every screw was loose. The screws need lock washers. If it was not aligned, it may have caused the metal fatigue.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #150

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
Did you have an issue with the latch spring to strong making the door hard to close if so what did you do

PS I like the hand of idea I think I’ll try to
No issue with latch as it closes just fine. The reason for adding door pull is there is not much space to grab the stock pull due to the vertical frame of screen opening. Possibility of dislocating fingers unless you have small fingers. There was more space on the old Trimark.

If you take a look at Jamie's top pic on his post #127, there is a better head-on view of the opening between screen frame and edge of door pull.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #151

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
New 2018 Axis owner. Took delivery last Thursday, wahoo! Went on a shake-down trip over the weekend.

I have the new keys, double sided and with numbers, but the bolt is still zinc. Did the magnet test. Will contact Thor, but also ready to jump to a Bauer.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #152

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Wow Thanks

I was about to leave for a trip and saw this lock problem on this list. No time to resolve, so, seeing one temporary solution, here is what I did.
With my Dremel tool, I cut a notch in the inside door lip. Also, like the prior solution, I needed to cut out the back of the latch plate notch. With a 1/8" aluminum strip I can pry the latch open from the inside.
Still have to go through the window, but I hope I can get a replacement before it fails. Thanks to all for informing me of this!!!
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1170026.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	11903  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #153

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
I was about to leave for a trip and saw this lock problem on this list. No time to resolve, so, seeing one temporary solution, here is what I did.
With my Dremel tool, I cut a notch in the inside door lip. Also, like the prior solution, I needed to cut out the back of the latch plate notch. With a 1/8" aluminum strip I can pry the latch open from the inside.
Still have to go through the window, but I hope I can get a replacement before it fails. Thanks to all for informing me of this!!!
David
I never had a problem with mine and just changed it as a precaution after reading about the problems here on the forum.
In the interim during your trip, if you remove the inside plate to expose the bolt pull slot and tang, lube it with a good grease, and take it easy when opening with a light hand on the door pull, you should be ok.
I used a spray grease to make sure it got into all the places I could not see.
Happy trails
Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 AM   #154

THOR #2442
Latch replacement done.

I just replaced the Axis lock with an RVlock.
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...oducts/class-c
Interesting that on Amazon there are several direct copies of this lock for less $.
The install was easy. The only things not expected was that the remote fob works on the bolt lock part, not the latch lock. Also, the latch is probably zinc (not magnetic) and not iron. And, the latch plate on my Vegas 25.2 is not removable. So the nice black one supplied is not usable.
The RVlock is much easier to use, as it takes less force to close.
David
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #155

THOR #2442
Does anyone want a Tri-Corp door latch that hasn't failed??

This is from a 2015 Vegas 25.2, so I assume it is the one that can fail Tri-Corp P/N 060-0650. I replaced it with the RV lock brand.

If anyone wants it for parts or for their THOR museum, just give me shipping cost.
David
Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #156

THOR #2442
Door Pull answer using an RVLock unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post

Attachment 10343
I had the same problem with the RVLock unit. I used the 2 screw holes that are for the battery cover, got two 1 1/2" screws with a spacer, and a piece of Aluminum bar. It is solid, and works well. You can see it clears the screen door. I guess I need to paint it black.
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000262.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	12120  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #157

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Good job.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #158

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Buyer Beware ---

I decided to replace the 650 lock mechanism on my Axis before it broke. I ordered a 1650 lock for $105 off Amazon. I figured I'd use the magnet test on the plunger and dead bolt of the new lock when it arrived just to be sure it wasn't the pot metal version. IT WAS! They sent a 650 lock to me, not the new version. My order receipt from the seller specifically says 1650. But it is not. Now I'm in the process of returning it to Amazon.

Please be careful and check it to be sure what they sent is what you ordered.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #159

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by csseeker View Post
Buyer Beware ---

I decided to replace the 650 lock mechanism on my Axis before it broke. I ordered a 1650 lock for $105 off Amazon. I figured I'd use the magnet test on the plunger and dead bolt of the new lock when it arrived just to be sure it wasn't the pot metal version. IT WAS! They sent a 650 lock to me, not the new version. My order receipt from the seller specifically says 1650. But it is not. Now I'm in the process of returning it to Amazon.

Please be careful and check it to be sure what they sent is what you ordered.
You probably did get the 1650 version. It also has the pot metal plunger. Read some of the reviews on Amazon. Even Trimark's description of the 1650 lock says it's "die cast alloy". I had the 1650 on my Challenger and it broke on us a few weeks ago. Trimark is supposed to be sending us a new lock. I'm hoping it has a steel plunger but I wont know for sure until it gets here.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #160

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
"Housing, inside plates, handles, plunger bolt, deadbolt, locking components including lock knobs: Die cast zinc alloy"

060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware | TriMark Corporation