Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Axis mirror cameras wired backwards

We picked up our new Axis 25.2 this afternoon and it wasn't until we were on the road that i realized the left and right mirror camera feeds were reversed (left turn signal on displayed the right mirror image and vice versa) I didn't catch this at the dealership because the coach was parked between 2 trailers and when the signals were tested all I could see was the side of a trailer.
Fortunately the fix was very very simple as the connection for the cameras into the radio is done through a small combiner box that sits right behind the drivers instrument cluster in the upper dash. I just unscrewed the 2 connectors in question and swapped them, all fixed in less than 2 minutes (only because I already knew where the connections were located).
We were faced with up to 50 mph wind gusts for the 150 mile ride home so driving was like flying a helicopter for the first time with no lessons...there was a lot of control input!!! Other than that the beast runs like a race car.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 AM   #2

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
Its not wired backwards You can change "mirror image" in the radio menu
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #3

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by C WITT View Post
Its not wired backwards You can change "mirror image" in the radio menu
Our radio is the AV615BHM, according to the owners manual it only supports a backup camera, Thor has added an additional piece of hardware that allows the cameras in the mirrors to be used.
In our case the wires where just plugged into the wrong ports on the video combiner switch.
I spent an hour trying to figure out a fix through the radio menus, if there is a way to change it I couldn't find it.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
Our radio is the AV615BHM, according to the owners manual it only supports a backup camera, Thor has added an additional piece of hardware that allows the cameras in the mirrors to be used.
In our case the wires where just plugged into the wrong ports on the video combiner switch.
I spent an hour trying to figure out a fix through the radio menus, if there is a way to change it I couldn't find it.
My AV614 was replaced, under extended warranty, with an AV615. The AV614 had "Camera Mirror" functionality while the AV615 does not. The AV615 however allows changing radio or sat radio volume while the rear camera is being viewed.

I can see where the mirror camera wires could have been reversed during installation. The dealer that installed my rear camera microphone connected that in a manner where the mic was always blasting through the rear speakers. I had to take the top of the dash off and wire that mic to Aux 2 so I could turn down the volume while driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
It is the optional "drifting" setup, gotta turn left to go right... ask your grandkids!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Here is the 3-1 switcher
Old 03-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Congrats and receiving your coach! I will be following your post with interest to see how smoothly everything goes!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Here is the 3-1 switcher
Here is a pic of the switch that is in our Axis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	4213  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #9

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Congrats and receiving your coach! I will be following your post with interest to see how smoothly everything goes!
Thanks sforl,
We can't wait to get to use it, it's 10 degrees here today but I fired up the furnace and have been sitting in it watching TV and thinking of things I would like to change/improve.
Take a look at the end of the Axis/Vegas mods thread, I have a couple of pics of the living area TV mount that I changed out. It makes watching TV sooo much more comfortable.
I wish you luck with your coach and hope you get that call that says "it's here" any day now.