Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Axis A-Pillar cover coming off

On our Axis the driver's side A-Pillar plastic cover is coming off on the inside. I'll try to get some pics later today. From the looks of it its just the decorative inside plastic piece that is loose.

I'm looking for opinions on what adhesive to use to put it back on (it looks like Thor simply glues it on without any fasteners thus looking to do the same). My initial thought was to use something like liquid nails but I'm not sure if that will work with the plastic cover or not.

I think its working its way off from the heat/cool cycles of the coach in storage.

Anyone with an older Axis/Vegas also see this? (Perhaps you are and haven't noticed yet?)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.....

I'm looking for opinions on what adhesive to use to put it back on (it looks like Thor simply glues it on without any fasteners thus looking to do the same). My initial thought was to use something like liquid nails but I'm not sure if that will work with the plastic cover or not.

......cut......
Have you considered a little epoxy? I don't know the specifics of your requirements, or whether the piece has to remain removable long-term, but I've had good luck with epoxy to re-attach plastics.

A couple of weeks ago I re-attached a plastic trim piece on door exterior of my parent's 20-year-old Honda. It dried out, became brittle, and fell off. With a little epoxy for plastics and metals, I "glued" the trim piece back on and it appears very secure. I tried pulling it off and it's there to stay (a down side if I needed to remove it, which I won't). Next stop should be wreck yard.

A few years ago I also used epoxy to re-attach their plastic microwave door handle that came off, and I couldn't buy replacement. It required strength to open MW door so I was concerned it wouldn't hold, but it was fine for a couple of years until microwave had to be replaced for other reasons.

Since piece should be very light, I'd probably try adhesive first like you're thinking, but if that doesn't hold you may want to try an epoxy for plastics (assuming piece can remain in place permanently).
Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you considered a little epoxy? I don't know the specifics of your requirements, or whether the piece has to remain removable long-term, but I've had good luck with epoxy to re-attach plastics.

A couple of weeks ago I re-attached a plastic trim piece on door exterior of my parent's 20-year-old Honda. It dried out, became brittle, and fell off. With a little epoxy for plastics and metals, I "glued" the trim piece back on and it appears very secure. I tried pulling it off and it's there to stay (a down side if I needed to remove it, which I won't). Next stop should be wreck yard.

A few years ago I also used epoxy to re-attach their plastic microwave door handle that came off, and I couldn't buy replacement. It required strength to open MW door so I was concerned it wouldn't hold, but it was fine for a couple of years until microwave had to be replaced for other reasons.

Since piece should be very light, I'd probably try adhesive first like you're thinking, but if that doesn't hold you may want to try an epoxy for plastics (assuming piece can remain in place permanently).
Haven't considered epoxy..I've never used the stuff but its worth a shot.

I don't think there is any reason to ever need to remove the piece (even to run wiring: you just push it through from either end).
Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Haven't considered epoxy..I've never used the stuff but its worth a shot.

I don't think there is any reason to ever need to remove the piece (even to run wiring: you just push it through from either end).
You might consider Gorilla Glue .. there are several options for different applications...we have used it to secure a rubber strip to concrete..works well..
if you use Gorilla Glue..keep in mind that it expands slightly so use sparingly.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
For the plastic door trim I used Gorilla Clear Epoxy my wife got at Walmart I think; cost about $5. It's easy to use, the only down side is that you have to mix the two parts, and then have limited time before it sets up.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
For the plastic door trim I used Gorilla Clear Epoxy my wife got at Walmart I think; cost about $5. It's easy to use, the only down side is that you have to mix the two parts, and then have limited time before it sets up.
LOL! Limited setup time..that's for sure..more on that in a sec.

Here is the A-Pillar on the drivers side:

There is about a 1/2" flange on the side by the driver's window. It looks like Thor just lines that with silicone or some other flexible sealant when they put the cover on.

On our unit the top and bottom are secured in place by being wedged up against the bunk at the top and the dash on the bottom--so it isn't going anywhere.

I've noticed that the flange in the middle has pulled away from the wall a little (on both pillars actually) so this post was looking for a way to secure that back to the wall.

I grabbed some Gorilla Epoxy and attempted to use it on the passenger side pillar. By the time I had the passenger side pillar done the mixed Epoxy had set (wow is that some exothermic reaction going on there!) so I didn't get a chance to try it on the driver's side.

Once I got the passenger side set it had occurred to me that maybe I want to use something a little more flexible so that the cover can move a little with the bumps and whatnot of the road.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #7697
Old post but new owner

My 2017 is the same but only on the drivers side. I plan on using black caulking after using tape to keep it straight and clean.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You might try some Goop adhesive, flexible and strong, adheres well to most surfaces. Put it on, put piece in place and tape to hold until the Goop sets up. Goop is clear so if you get a little messy it won't show as badly.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Axis A-Pillar cover coming off

Just noticed mine doing the same. Guess the I-69 challenge in Indiana and Michigan is showing results.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	6227
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #7103
Ours was like this when we took delivery. (Also driver side only) We thought it was just poor workmanship and that they cut the part wrong leaving the gap. We were thinking caulk or some kind of filler; did not think of black caulk . . . that might work. Hummm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170416_160504529_HDR.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	6282  
Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
It is poor workmanship my pillar looks worse than that. Jagged edge trim job
Old 09-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Mine recently started rattling. Seems secure on the drivers window and at the top, the front windshield area is loose. I'm likely to try double stick foam seal to adhere and cushion it at the same time.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #13

State: Tennessee
THOR #5440
Just to add to the conversation, our 2016 25.2 Axis driver's side trim looked the same as the pictures from Jirka and Wonderdog when we got it. Our dealer replaced the trim piece under warranty, and I can confirm that it looked fixed when we picked it up. However, after our last 4000 mile road trip, the gap is back (and of course we're out of warranty now). As some have suspected, it definitely seems to be a moving piece and can work its way out.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
After putting some miles on it since I started this thread (almost 3000 miles) both pillar's appearance hasn't changed:
  • For the driver's side I did not touch: there remains a small (<1/4") gap
  • For the passenger side where I used some epoxy: It appears to have pulled away a little and stopped at about the same as the drivers side (probably didn't get good contact with the epoxy in there)
For the moment I'm just going to keep an eye on them.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnoib View Post
Just to add to the conversation, our 2016 25.2 Axis driver's side trim looked the same as the pictures from Jirka and Wonderdog when we got it. Our dealer replaced the trim piece under warranty, and I can confirm that it looked fixed when we picked it up. However, after our last 4000 mile road trip, the gap is back (and of course we're out of warranty now). As some have suspected, it definitely seems to be a moving piece and can work its way out.
Agree. The driver side trim edge is in the same exposed position, no worse, but the passenger side trim edge is now exposed after our 2000+ mile Michigan trip. The culprit, I believe, is the I-69 challenge from Indianapolis northbound. Horrible! Remember that a twisting, bouncing, shaking, vibrating rv makes quality adhesives, thread locker and sealers your bff. With warranty expired, I'm learning a lot. Thank you forum members all!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #16

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ours was like that at delivery. The CW in Statesville replaced it prior to purchase back in May 2015. I noticed last night that the gap was "re-appearing" on the driver's side. I hope a fix comes out of this thread, if not...back to CW.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
A Pillar

Our 2016 has the same problem on the passenger side. I will probably try the caulking approach which was suggested by a RV body shop I recently went to.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Wisconsin
THOR #4603
same thing

Our 2016.5 Axis 25.2 has the same issue. they replaced one under warranty and it still is popping out. The second dealership tech said this is a known problem and there is really nothing you can do about it. It's a design flaw because if you do get it to stay the in track, it bends it outwards anyways.

So, we gave up.
emtjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #19

THOR #7425
Quote:

Glue
I'd try Gorilla glue...use it to glue just about anything...a little goes a long way[emoji6]