Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Axis slide not working

Slide won't move on our '17 Axis 25.5. It operated fine when I put slide in about 6 weeks ago but now seems dead. Fuse is OK. Parking brake on and ignition off, as per instructions. I see a red LED flashing in the controller but can't figure out what code flashing LED might be indicating. I disconnected a power wire from controller for a few minutes, think maybe it would reset but nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
When ours did that the error was low voltage from a mouse chewed wire near the propane tank.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Are you plugged into power? Do you hear anything at all or silence
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Wait for the green LED, Then count the red led.flashes before you see the green LED again.

That will be your "error" code.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #5

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Wait for the green LED, Then count the red led.flashes before you see the green LED again.

That will be your "error" code.
Yes, plugged in to shore power, 30 amps. Never saw a green LED, just red and was flashing so fast that's really hard to count. I'll look again tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Is the slide behind the drivers seat? Some units are equipped with a seat interlock, the drivers seat has to be fully forward for the slide to move. Just a shot in the dark.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #7

THOR #4802
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, slide is behind driver's seat but seat's position has never effected slide's operation before. I can usually figure problems out but not this one, I'm making a warranty repair appt. with dealer in morning.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

THOR #1249
This is no help, but on the positive side, you are better that it quit in than out.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #9

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
This is no help, but on the positive side, you are better that it quit in than out.
Been there, done that. Happened with a Winnebago Aspect that we had a few years ago. As with most slide mechanisms, there is usually a way to manually bring slide in.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Mine has done this before- i have been able to unplug power from controller box and reset it. Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Mine has done this before- i have been able to unplug power from controller box and reset it. Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the suggestion. Disconnected power leads to controller. Check voltage of power leads while they were off; 12.92 VDC, so apparently plenty of power. Controller was flashing red LED rapidly a couple of days ago but now seems dead as a door nail. Made appt. with dealer service but they can't get me in until April 25th. Leaving this Friday for week in Savannah & Charleston areas...guess we'll be doing it without benefit of the slide. Oh well!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Are there any mobile RV repairman in your area? When In Utah at a rest area my slide wouldn't retract. I called a mobile repair but before he started his trip to help I took the key out of the ignition and all was well.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I bought a controller off eBay. Amazingly mine has worked fine for the last six months since I have the replacement controller ready to go. It knows :-)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #14

THOR #4802
SLIDE NOW WORKING! Found a blown 5 amp fuse in electric panel. Fuse position is labled "Appliances". Replaced it and now my slide is sliding! Main slide fuse is a 30 amp, which was OK, so this 5 amp'er must power some ancilliary circuit related to the slide. As usual, useless owners manual mentions nothing about this fuse in trouble shooting section. Controller was flashing a code indicating "Hall- wire short to ground", whatever that is supposed to mean. Had unit at dealer for service check today and they apparently didn't know about this fuse either. Live and learn. For what its worth!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
SLIDE NOW WORKING! Found a blown 5 amp fuse in electric panel. Fuse position is labled "Appliances". Replaced it and now my slide is sliding! Main slide fuse is a 30 amp, which was OK, so this 5 amp'er must power some ancilliary circuit related to the slide. As usual, useless owners manual mentions nothing about this fuse in trouble shooting section. Controller was flashing a code indicating "Hall- wire short to ground", whatever that is supposed to mean. Had unit at dealer for service check today and they apparently didn't know about this fuse either. Live and learn. For what its worth!
Which “electric panel” did you find the fuse in? The outside fuse box in the storage compartment under the driver’s side window? Do you remember which number it was. Thanks for posting. Good info to know.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut.... Had unit at dealer for service check today and they apparently didn't know about this fuse either. Live and learn. For what its worth!

Thanks for lesson and reminder of things that can go wrong. The next question is what caused fuse to blow, and will it happen again?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #17

THOR #4802
Fuse was in the fuse panel on the inverter, under driver's side bed. Don't recall position number but in my panel, its the only 5 amp fuse and is labled "Appliances".

No idea what caused this fuse to blow. Of course, will be watching to see if it happens again...have plenty of spare fuses on hand. Good opportunity to test it as we're leaving this morning for a week visiting Savannah and Charleston areas.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #18

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Fuse was in the fuse panel on the inverter, under driver's side bed. Don't recall position number but in my panel, its the only 5 amp fuse and is labled "Appliances".

No idea what caused this fuse to blow. Of course, will be watching to see if it happens again...have plenty of spare fuses on hand. Good opportunity to test it as we're leaving this morning for a week visiting Savannah and Charleston areas.
You have an inverter? Thor specs list a “Battety Power Converter” for the 25.5 but no one seems to know what that is. I assumed it was the charger/converter in other Axis/Vegas. I replaced the original charger/converter in my Axis and I’d forgotten that there were fuses in there. Mine is under the fridge. I’ll have to take another look and remember that. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #19

Model: 2017.5 Vegas 25.4
State: South Carolina
THOR #10025
This happened to me also on my Vegas 25.4 it took along time to figure out. But what I learned is that if ANY fuse is missing or blown in the converter/charger panel below the bed then the slide out and power bunk will not operate. This is a bad design flaw in my opinion. If you don't have an extra fuse for whatever fuse blows and your slide is out or bunk is dropped down then you are stuck. Moral of this story is: if you own a Vegas/Axis keep extra fuses in all sizes, at all times!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #20

THOR #16427
Today we checked in at our last overnight stay of a 5 week trip from FL to CA and back in our ‘19 Thor Vegas 25.6 motor coach. Our slide went out 6 inches and would not go farther nor retract. Called Thor, left message and got return call in 15 minutes. Agent directed me to the slide controller ( ours is located in 2d bay from front on driver side). Counted red light flashes after green light flashed and determined it was a wiring problem. (I had noticed a wire hanging down and dragging when I pulled in and taped the worn insulation before tying it back up.). Agent told me to depress the button in the opening where lights were 7 times and hold the 7th for 5 seconds. This reset the slide controller. Slide worked fine.
Very pleased with Thor agent, though not pleased with shoddy way wiring was secured nor the lack of info in the owners manual.